Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**Ordinary Level Maths Paper 1...Before/After**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Mayo_Boy

Namlub wrote: »
    As in, I couldn't part A of the complex numbers question. And I've been through every arithmetic question since 1999, never had any problem but I did not get that gas thing. Other parts were fine then though, weird paper...

I couldn't do 4 (a) either :(:o

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Vetton

Schonie wrote: »
    How did you get that? I attempted it but can't remember what I got..it wasn't this though

dy/dx = 3 + 10t
    t = 3.5
    3 + 10(3.5) = 38m/s-1

sub 3.5 into the original eq. because it's looking for the height (s).
    s = 3t + 5t^2
    s = 3(3.5) + 5(3.5)^2
    s = 71.75m

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Lago

Strange, I didn't you had to be able to read an electricity bill for the Maths syllabus.

First question on the paper relies on you knowing something totally abstract. I got it right but some of my friends didn't. I know it's only a part A but it's still marks. Totally unfair

Edit: double post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

The electricity bill was part b no? Cos I rember thinking the part a was the easiest question I've seen in my life

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Astrozombies

anyone from the pilot schools do OL P1? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Naomi00

anyone from the pilot schools do OL P1? :)

Yup.

Disaster..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

Any chance someone could post up the pilot paper or pm me it? I moved schools this year and I taught it last year so would love a glance at it without having to wait for examinations.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 12 nayrneleh

That was a really odd paper. I have no idea how I feel about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

The electricity bill was part b no? Cos I rember thinking the part a was the easiest question I've seen in my life

Yeah in part (a) it was just a simple fraction 4/9 of sum of money and you had to find out the whole amount... Easy so it was...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Naomi00

Any chance someone could post up the pilot paper or pm me it? I moved schools this year and I taught it last year so would love a glance at it without having to wait for examinations.ie

We had to give them up because you write on the paper.

It's nothing like the (only) sample paper unfortunately.. :\

Yeah in part (a) it was just a simple fraction 4/9 of sum of money and you had to find out the whole amount... Easy so it was...

Oh yeah, the electricity bill was part (B). But still just as unfair

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭shane7218

Question 1 Part B was very unfair and was worded terribly. Some of the questions were very different than previous :/

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭kilfeather94

Anyone else think that this years paper one was much more difficult than the previous years? even the 'a' parts and 'b' parts were pretty challenging. I attempted most questions though. As long as I do a really good paper 2, I should be alright!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

Naomi00 wrote: »

We had to give them up because you write on the paper.

It's nothing like the (only) sample paper unfortunately.. :\

Dense! Of course, forgot its filled in. I'll have to wait then. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Killian In The Name Of

I found the paper to be a small bit bizarre.

Half of it was grand - did Q1, 5 and 7. The other three questions I picked were horrible though. I'm going to have make up for this on Paper 2...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 659 ✭✭✭HowAreWe

oh for **** sake!! I just realised I forgot to add the vat in question 1 jesus ****ing ****e :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

Anyone else think that this years paper one was much more difficult than the previous years? even the 'a' parts and 'b' parts were pretty challenging. I attempted most questions though. As long as I do a really good paper 2, I should be alright!

I found the c parts easier than some a parts. I didn't get the one where you had to simplify or something and there was like a squared x or something :S. Complex numbers part a is usually fine but I got stuck even on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 FifaClubs Conor

Anyone have solution for 4c or remember their answer?

I think k was 3 and t was 4

• Advertisement

HowAreWe wrote: »
    oh for **** sake!! I just realised I forgot to add the vat in question 1 jesus ****ing ****e :mad:

Dont worry probably 2 marks at most

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭frantic190

Lago wrote: »
    Strange, I didn't you had to be able to read an electricity bill for the Maths syllabus.

First question on the paper relies on you knowing something totally abstract. I got it right but some of my friends didn't. I know it's only a part A but it's still marks. Totally unfair

There was a question on a previous paper which assumed students knew that you measure the inches of a TV diagonally and not lenght-ways.

They are prone to throw something like this up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭Bears and Vodka

I always thought you can't be taxed on tax, but Robert's electricity bill seems to be breaking all the rules! How can they charge VAT on a levy? Makes no sense to me as an economics student. It was awfully phrased.

Anyway did people get:
    Q.1(b)

(i) €109.65
    (ii)€158.90

Think i got like 19 and 20 something, must of messed up bad on that :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 153 ✭✭Raeone

I got minus 19 and 25?

Raeone wrote: »
    I got minus 19 and 25?

Well maybe Im wrong :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭Bears and Vodka

Think i got like 19 and 20 something, must of messed up bad on that :(

Q.4 (c)

k=31 t=25.

That's what I got. It was the part I did again cos I messed up the first time and I took extra care with it. Numbers look a bit biggish to what they usually are though, so I don't know :/

Attempt marks lads! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 75 ✭✭eor123

for the electricity bill were we not supposed to find the cost of the electricity, add the VAT, then add the levy and other thing??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

As in, I couldn't part A of the complex numbers question. And I've been through every arithmetic question since 1999, never had any problem but I did not get that gas thing. Other parts were fine then though, weird paper...

I'm usually great at complex numbers apart from today. I was so confused with that question 1 I got so annoyed with it and left part c as well.
    Mayo_Boy wrote: »
    I couldn't do 4 (a) either :(:o

I couldn't do 4a) either I was looking at it for ages wondering what the hell I was supposed to write. I think I just simplified it or something and I got like a number and a squared number I think :S. I can't remember either way the number wasn't straight forward. I think it was 6 something. Maths must really hate me . And I really can't fail again paper 2 please be a good paper .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Raeone wrote: »
    I got minus 19 and 25?

Same ^_^

For 4 a I ended up drawing an argand diagram just to show that I know how to do one. Lawds

Advertisement