Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**Ordinary Level Maths Paper 1...Before/After**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭Bears and Vodka

Zomg Okay wrote: »
    When did understanding electricity bills become part of the syllabus? My parents handle all that, I've never so much as seen past the cover of the electricity metre outside. :rolleyes:

It's a very simplified version of a bill really. I felt it's a bit of common sense if you read it: ''Calculate the total cost of the units used''.
    And the used units obviously are the difference before & after. So I think part (i) was okay.
    Part (ii) though was awfully worded, but if you read it: ''Robert also pays a standing charge and a levy. VAT is charged on all amounts''

So, from my interpretation of it you just added the standing charge and the levy to the answer from part (i), (which by the way added up to €140.00 by my calculations, so I suppose it's an indication that it's on the right track), and then VAT of 13.5% is added on top of that.

Story is if you read the question twice, or three times and do the most obvious thing (because it's Part B they can't be too devious) it should work out.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭An0n

pastebin.com/y68JvaGS

These are all my answers from all the questions except Q5.
    Could someone let me know if I got my A or not?
    It would be helpful if they released the marking scheme online the same day as the paper is finished xD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭mcpaddington

Can somebody post scans of the paper? I'd really like a look at it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Cruel Sun

There on Examinations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

I was just pointing out the obvious contradiction in his/her statement. I couldn't care less what level he/she does, calm the head.

There is no contradiction, you can be good at maths yet do Ordinary Level. But yes, I am truly furious about this.

• Advertisement

http://www.examinations.ie/archive/exampapers/2012/LC003GLP100EV.pdf

subz3r0 wrote: »

Cheers. Looks pretty easy. I finally understand the confusion people had with 1bi. Wouldn't know how to do 3ciii either. The rest looks grand though. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 153 ✭✭Raeone

An0n wrote: »
    pastebin.com/y68JvaGS

It would be helpful if they released the marking scheme online the same day as the paper is finished xD

I didn't do Q1, but the only one I got different to you was Q2. (c)(ii) where I got -1/2 and 2 but I think mine. :)

AHH ! Finally see where I went wrong in 4 (C).

For mixing up a sign when multiplying out the brackets is it a Slip (-1) or a Blunder (-3) on the Marking Schemes?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 kmc_

Came out of Maths delighted with most of the paper :D (that being said, anything would've went better than English anyway! :()
    ...now I'm contradicting myself on what answers I may have got wrong :confused:

• Advertisement

An0n wrote: »
    pastebin.com/y68JvaGS

Had a look through 1, 2 and 3. You got them all right so far except for 3(a) and 2(c)(ii).

3(a) = -11/3
    2(c)(ii) = -1/2 and 2

subz3r0 wrote: »
    AHH ! Finally see where I went wrong in 4 (C).

For mixing up a sign when multiplying out the brackets is it a Slip (-1) or a Blunder (-3) on the Marking Schemes?

It's a slip.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 FifaClubs Conor

Had a look through 1, 2 and 3. You got them all right so far except for 3(a) and 2(c)(ii).

3(a) = -11/3
    2(c)(ii) = -1/2 and 2

Fairly certain he has 3a right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Naomi00

The project maths paper is up now http://examinations.ie/archive/exampapers/2012/LC003GLP130EV.pdf

There's a huge difference between that and the one everyone else did. What we learned (supposedly for project maths) was actually what was in the normal paper, and not our project maths one.. we'd never seen anything like this before. What does everyone else think of it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

Cheers. Looks pretty easy. I finally understand the confusion people had with 1bi. Wouldn't know how to do 3ciii either. The rest looks grand though. :pac:

It was just putting your answer for x from part ii back into the equation. It has to balance out. I think I got root 7. It all equalled out in the end, so either I got it right ir it's just a coincidence .. prob a coincidence .. I dont usally get them parts right .. :L

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Dwellingdweller

Naomi00 wrote: »
    The project maths paper is up now http://examinations.ie/archive/exampapers/2012/LC003GLP130EV.pdf

There's a huge difference between that and the one everyone else did. What we learned (supposedly for project maths) was actually what was in the normal paper, and not our project maths one.. we'd never seen anything like this before. What does everyone else think of it?

Wow, what a b*tch of a paper :eek: I was reading through it and thinking as I went along "They definitely got more time for the Project Maths paper". When I got to the end and saw that yous got the same amount of time as the ordinary OL paper, I was shocked. Horrible paper. I know they're trying to put an emphasis on 'problem solving' and stuff now but problem solving takes time, I don't really think exams are the right place to test that stuff. How'd you get on with it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

They brought in the USC? Dayum

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭shanmo

Naomi00 wrote: »

Some of the stuff you got was what I was expecting to come up on the normal paper (the earlier section of your paper)
    It was only the later section part B where it really lost me as it was new concepts and skills which only you would have covered.
    Part a looked reasonabl enough from a quick glance.part b how ever looked kind of sciency (at a quick glance)
    By any chance do you know if we all get the same paper two?
    Or are they different also?
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

I don't know how they'll justify taking marks off people for Q1 C. The question wasn't in the slightest bit clear! Need a B3 for one of my courses and it's not gonna happen now :/ no nanotechnology for me :(

• Registered Users Posts: 22 micheal1995

so how did yee get on. i looked at q1 and misread it done 2,4,5,7,8 then re read q1 and realised how easy it was. i thought it would be easier paper but im better at p2 anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭The High Crusade

Lads I'm pissed Heaney didn't come up in this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

Lads I'm pissed Heaney didn't come up in this.

Yeah, I too am bummed that Heaney didn't come up in the Maths Paper.... Maybe Paper 2 :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5 kel_lawd

Judging by other peoples answers, I've realized I totally messed up question one but I did six other questions well enough to pass maths as a subject so I am happy I don't have to repeat next year :D Hope everyone got what they were looking for :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22 micheal1995

u put this on the wrong thread man but thats the joy of ordinary a constable calls came up and u get the poem

What is this whole Project Maths Paper 1? ... Was other schools covering a different course than what I was covering? And why could I not choose this Paper if I wanted to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

What is this whole Project Maths Paper 1? ... Was other schools covering a different course than what I was covering? And why could I not choose this Paper if I wanted to?

The pilot schools that started project maths before the rest of the country have moved onto the next phase, which will be in place for everyone over the next few years. This post explains how it works quite well. Only the pilot schools were sitting that paper, so you can't choose to do that one instead.

The pilot schools that started project maths before the rest of the country have moved onto the next phase, which will be in place for everyone over the next few years. This post explains how it works quite well. Only the pilot schools were sitting that paper, so you can't choose to do that one instead.

Don't have a clue what pilot schools means but I do understand briefly now :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Don't have a clue what pilot schools means but I do understand briefly now :p

Just a fancy name for a bunch of schools picked to try this out! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 43 motorola1337

If you really were good at maths you would be doing Higher Level.

yeah well okay..i find ORDINARY LEVEL maths really easy...and i couldnt do higher because i did ordinary for the junior and when i wanted to move to higher in 4th year i couldnt cuz all the classes were full....anyway...ordinary maths is easy...especially if you do subjects like physics and accounting where you tend to use it alot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

I duno if this has been answered already but i seen a few people asking! In question 7 part c the m/s-1 was because it was falling now rising, the ball or whatever it was was thrown downwards not upwards! At least that was my understanding of it! It didnt actually have an impact on the question! Thought it went well :) Dont know what paper 2 will be like though!

Advertisement