Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**Ordinary Level Maths Paper 1...Before/After**

12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

I duno if this has been answered already but i seen a few people asking! In question 7 part c the m/s-1 was because it was falling now rising, the ball or whatever it was was thrown downwards not upwards! At least that was my understanding of it! It didnt actually have an impact on the question! Thought it went well :) Dont know what paper 2 will be like though!

I randomly after a few calculations guessed 1.8seconds.. Was I close?

Also in Tn sequence and series I used my own method to find the answer rather than use the formulas.. Do I get full marks?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 153 ✭✭Raeone

I randomly after a few calculations guessed 1.8seconds.. Was I close?

Also in Tn sequence and series I used my own method to find the answer rather than use the formulas.. Do I get full marks?

The answers for the height, speed, distance one were this (i) 33 (ii) 2seconds (iii) 71.75

In the sequences and series you don't need to use the forumlas, you can do it your own way and sometimes its easier to list them rather than use the formulas. As long as you got the correct answer you get full marks.

Worked out that only I only lost 3 marks. Delighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 iluvgreenday246

Was dying of a fever through the whole exam literally fell asleep three times, had to take a break after each part :P managed to get out three questions though and a few bits of other ones so hopefully i passed :s got a b2 last year and i thought this paper was a bit easier but i was hallucinating a fair bit yesterday so i'd say my calculations were dodge enough :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

I think the project maths paper looked slightly easier tbh.
    Maybe they're trying to make paper 1 hard to make project maths look better just like last year!. I actually would've found my last years exam much easier now looking back
    I'm going to need to practise paper 2 so much this weekend. I need a pass or c3 at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Naomi00

I think the project maths paper looked slightly easier tbh.
    Maybe they're trying to make paper 1 hard to make project maths look better just like last year!. I actually would've found my last years exam much easier now looking back
    I'm going to need to practise paper 2 so much this weekend. I need a pass or c3 at least.

It's definitely not if you actually try to answer the paper. People who used to do higher level couldn't even do it. You have to spend ages trying to find out what they're on about, it's not even maths

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Naomi00

shanmo wrote: »
    Some of the stuff you got was what I was expecting to come up on the normal paper (the earlier section of your paper)
    It was only the later section part B where it really lost me as it was new concepts and skills which only you would have covered.
    Part a looked reasonabl enough from a quick glance.part b how ever looked kind of sciency (at a quick glance)
    By any chance do you know if we all get the same paper two?
    Or are they different also?
    Thanks

Yeah see that's the thing..we've never actually covered most of that paper. The project maths people told the pilot schools we'd get loads of resources etc...well we got hardly anything to work on and what we did cover in class was completely different to the exam. They told us that we wouldn't need to know certain things and they were all on the paper plus some stuff we'd never seen before.

Last year they marked the papers loads of times just to bring the grades up just so they can say it's a good idea..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

Naomi00 wrote: »
    It's definitely not if you actually try to answer the paper. People who used to do higher level couldn't even do it. You have to spend ages trying to find out what they're on about, it's not even maths

Oh it probably just looks it. It seems like business kind of maths not even proper maths like algebra .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭Bears and Vodka

Seems like many of ye are really confused with the ms-1 notation for unit of speed in the Differentiation question.
    Well what is m/s ? It's a fraction that says metres divided by seconds.
    And what happens when you bring the bottom term to the top? Its power becomes -1 according to rules of indices.

Therefore m/s means exactly the same as ms-1. Just try it on your calculator: 8/4 will yield the same answer as 8(4^-1) which is 2.
    Anyone who does Physics would have known that but lots of other people wouldn't have realised.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭shanmo

Naomi00 wrote: »
    shanmo wrote: »
    Some of the stuff you got was what I was expecting to come up on the normal paper (the earlier section of your paper)
    It was only the later section part B where it really lost me as it was new concepts and skills which only you would have covered.
    Part a looked reasonabl enough from a quick glance.part b how ever looked kind of sciency (at a quick glance)
    By any chance do you know if we all get the same paper two?
    Or are they different also?
    Thanks

Yeah see that's the thing..we've never actually covered most of that paper. The project maths people told the pilot schools we'd get loads of resources etc...well we got hardly anything to work on and what we did cover in class was completely different to the exam. They told us that we wouldn't need to know certain things and they were all on the paper plus some stuff we'd never seen before.

Last year they marked the papers loads of times just to bring the grades up just so they can say it's a good idea..

Wll the normal paper was not easy, compared to past yrs it was defo aa lot harder.
    It is hard to judge yours as I don't know the story with what ye were meant to to etc. Also it is hard to know from a glance.
    In my opinion project maths should have been introduced at leaving cert level till it had gone through junior cert first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

I duno if this has been answered already but i seen a few people asking! In question 7 part c the m/s-1 was because it was falling now rising, the ball or whatever it was was thrown downwards not upwards! At least that was my understanding of it! It didnt actually have an impact on the question! Thought it went well :) Dont know what paper 2 will be like though!

Thats exactly what I thought. :)
    And it didnt actually make any difference on the question in the end anyways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭HeaneyBabe

I messed question 7 up big time :( To get an A1, what's the minimum amount of marks you can lose?

HeaneyBabe wrote: »
    I messed question 7 up big time :( To get an A1, what's the minimum amount of marks you can lose?

60 marks, between both paper 1 and paper 2!

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭HeaneyBabe

Raeone wrote: »
    60 marks, between both paper 1 and paper 2!

I should have said maximum there haha. Hmmm hopefully I didn't lose more than 30. need all the disposable marks i can get in paper 2

HeaneyBabe wrote: »
    I should have said maximum there haha. Hmmm hopefully I didn't lose more than 30. need all the disposable marks i can get in paper 2

How did you **** it up??
    You mightened of lost alot.

Advertisement