Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stapleton Place cycling lanes - What's the big deal?

Options
  • 07-06-2012 6:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

There's been a lot of complaining about the new road layout in Stapleton Place, most recently by Mary Moran. I don't see what the big deal is.

Back when you could drive on two lanes, people usually didn't use the lanes properly and the road functioned more or less like a single lane road anyway.

I drive up that street a lot and I haven't noticed any backed up traffic. The single lane seems to flow well, even at busy periods. Today at 6pm, the traffic was backed up to rampart road at the McDonalds but none of it was caused by Stapleton Place which was clear when I got to it.

What do you all think?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

This topic has probably been done to death but....
    Can't agree less. This is part of my daily commute. Since the change the tailbacks have been dreadful. Traffic for the Ardee Rd can no longer use the left-hand lane, so all are stuck in a single jam. The tailback results in delays in Hill St and getting out of the Avenue Rd. Traffic turning left into Stapleton Place has been delayed so long they are not willing to let those taking a right from Dublin St into the flow, thus causing a jam back to Vincent Avenue and the Ramparts. The whole thing is a farce - and don't start me on the appearance of the street as a result. 6pm may be ok but 4.30 to 5.30 is mayhem. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭axel rose

More to the point-Has anyone seen a cyclist on Stapleton Place? If you haven't experienced tailbacks then you must be thinking of a different road completely. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭The Jammy dodger

Look I've been to Denmark. In the city and towns there it works quite well and it is easy to make way for cyclists. But their roads are not like Irelands. The Irish towns are ancient in structure/architecture and were built with horse and cart in mind never mind cars. So when/if you try to put bicycle lanes on the likes of clanbrassil street your going to run into major problems.

I am huge into my cycling and never had any problems with safety whilst cycling through the town so I dont see why not having cycling lanes is a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

axel rose wrote: »
    More to the point-Has anyone seen a cyclist on Stapleton Place?

Well as a top-floor (penthouse! :D) apartment resident with a commanding view of the street and someone who is obviously walking up and down every time I leave and come home, the answer is a very definite yes. A lot of cyclists are using it. The vast majority in the same direction with the traffic, hence my puzzlement with the lane going the other way, which I've seldom seen used. One cycle lane, in one direction, was sufficient and there was no need for the concrete bollards or the large, extended footpaths. All in my humble opinion of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

Fraggle00 wrote: »
    There's been a lot of complaining about the new road layout in Stapleton Place, most recently by Mary Moran. I don't see what the big deal is.

Back when you could drive on two lanes, people usually didn't use the lanes properly and the road functioned more or less like a single lane road anyway.

I drive up that street a lot and I haven't noticed any backed up traffic. The single lane seems to flow well, even at busy periods. Today at 6pm, the traffic was backed up to rampart road at the McDonalds but none of it was caused by Stapleton Place which was clear when I got to it.

What do you all think?

OP,Stapleton Place was once a majestic avenue off beauty.Planners that don't know the "Town" have butchered it!
    I am in favour of cycle paths and well planned traffic systems in Dundalk but in this case,sorry, the council have gone crazy !!

Apoligies to anyone that was annoyed by my NIMBY statement,a bit of a joke that backfired on me
    :)

• Advertisement

axel rose wrote: »
    More to the point-Has anyone seen a cyclist on Stapleton Place? If you haven't experienced tailbacks then you must be thinking of a different road completely. :confused:

I've seen one in a total of about an hour and a half of waiting for lifts. :pac:

Such a pity, there were two nice streets in Dundalk and both have been raped.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

Part of butchering the streets are all these ramps appearing everywhere. What will happen if an ambulance carrying a patient with a back injury hits on of these, causing more damage.

Who is liable, Ms Duff?

They seem to be making it up as they go..

Part of butchering the streets are all these ramps appearing everywhere. What will happen if an ambulance carrying a patient with a back injury hits on of these, causing more damage.

Who is liable, Ms Duff?

They seem to be making it up as they go..

When it comes to "paramedics" a ramp would be the least of their problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

They have killed it to be fair. There's no need for the extremes they've gone too and they've destroyed the road as it was. Double yellows would have done but those concrete islands are just idiotic !

They've also killed my wee run up the left lane and down Malachy's villa's when the traffic is backed up on the Carrick road :D

But that's just a selfish complaint :)

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Barnavave

So we are now going to cut down the mature trees on Stapleton Place so we can eventually replace them with new trees after they have made more "improvements" to the road.
    Have yet to see a cyclist in these much needed cycle lanes.

• Advertisement

Barnavave wrote: »
    So we are now going to cut down the mature trees on Stapleton Place so we can eventually replace them with new trees after they have made more "improvements" to the road.

Not only are they cutting down the wonderful mature trees but they are narrowing the cycle lanes and widening the carriageway. :eek:
    What absolute nonsense. As soon as the work started they were told it was all wrong but they just ploughed ahead only to have to reverve the work now. No matter what spin the council put on all this Ms Duff should be sacked for the mess she made of many of our fine streets.
    Any chance we can get Chapel Street, and other areas, returned to what they were as well?

They're cutting down the trees? Is this confirmed? :eek:

mod9maple wrote: »

It is in this weeks Argus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

No way? Well f*ck that - anyone fancy being tree huggers, quite literally if need be? Not at all happy to hear that :mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

Barnavave wrote: »

Out of curiosity how much bike parking has been put into the town, how widely is it distributed and how secure are the locations?

If the council have not put in any bike parking then, as a rule, it suggests that they don't actually want anyone to cycle around the town. (Notwithstanding that they are spending money on "cycle facilities".)

Out of curiosity how much bike parking has been put into the town, how widely is it distributed and how secure are the locations?

If the council have not put in any bike parking then, as a rule, it suggests that they don't actually want anyone to cycle around the town. (Notwithstanding that they are spending money on "cycle facilities".)

There are bike parking stations all round the town - even is streets where you'll see neither bikes nor shoppers anymore (outside the Old Dunnes in Park St for example).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Town’s cycle lanes will be reviewed

This follows an examination of the cycle lane set-up at Jocelyn Street and Chapel Street by Dundalk Town Council, the National Transport Authority (NRA) and a team of consultant engineers

As a result, road markings will be added, traffic signals will operate and the road will be widened to allow lorries and emergency vehicles down Chapel Street.

It has also been agreed that to monitor the situation when the schools re-open in September.

The National Transport Authority (NRA) has accepted an invitation from Dundalk Town Council to review the entire cycle lane programme in the town.

Town engineer Catherine Duff said the NRA review of the Chapel Street situation has brought about “valuable adjustments that we can now make to ensure that the junction is as safe as possible for all road users.

“There is always a careful balance to be struck in this type of work,” she said.

“Our objective is to make the town safer for cyclists and pedestrians.

“As a pilot project for the country, we’re delighted that the NTA has agreed to review the wider work and to contribute to our public awareness campaign which will run throughout the next school year.

“We are particularly encouraged by the interest shown by schoolchildren and their parents and their interest in the steps being taken to make walking or cycling to school a more viable and safer option.

“Nine local schools have joined this project, representing 4,000 children making daily school journeys during term.

“In the coming school year there will be cycle training on the routes delivered by Cuchulainn Cycling Club,” Ms Duff said.

http://www.dundalkdemocrat.ie/news/local/town-s-cycle-lanes-will-be-reviewed-1-4133708

hellboy99 wrote: »
    http://www.dundalkdemocrat.ie/news/local/town-s-cycle-lanes-will-be-reviewed-1-4133708

The National Transport Authority (NRA) has accepted an invitation from Dundalk Town Council to review the entire cycle lane programme in the town.

Unfortunately - the National Transport Authority (who are a rebadged Dublin Transportation Office) may not have the necessary understanding or skills to review, or make correct observations on, the situation in a county town like Dundalk.

Work seems to have started, according to this weeks Argus. :mad:

• Advertisement

They're all down now. Took but a days work. I asked for, and received, a fine 4 inch thick cut piece from the central trunk of the last one to go down. Measures 25 inches at its longest and 20 across. I'll dry it, sand it, then varnish it. Add a few legs and I've a grand wee table.

How many nice tree-lined streets does that leave in the town?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

How many nice tree-lined streets does that leave in the town?

I am outraged!! When this idea was first mooted I emailed Cllr Mark Deary but never got a reply. In that part of town alone Parnell Pk was tree lined, only one remains at the top of the street, 8 enourmous oak trees were felled at the Grammar School to facilitate the installation of the plastic pitch, and now the few remaining trees on Stapleton Place. Ok there may be little room for sentiment when it comes to development but its not as if these mature trees are replaceable within a lifetime.

Surely there was some way to incorporate the trees into a plan! My plan - leave the street well enough alone in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭ardle1

So they've taken the Oxygen from Stapleton Place and when Tesco is finished they wont have any light, it looks like ethnic cleansing to me :eek:

Advertisement