Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** Geography 2012- Before/After

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Kelix

does anyone know why the paper isn't on examinations.ie but the rest are

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 659 ✭✭✭HowAreWe

Kelix wrote: »
    does anyone know why the paper isn't on examinations.ie but the rest are

There was a leak, we're going to have to resit it.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭certifiedcrepe

can anyone tell me i did a waterfall for the depostion landform question and should have done meandering instead will i get any marks? Carrick-on-Shannon was the map and photo was delighted cause i live here not sure if its much of an advantage!
    May we never speak or see an other SRP again!

A waterfall is a landform formed by erosion.. A levee is a landform caused by deposition. Usually they say a landform formed by erosion OR deposition but I guess they got sick of people doing the same questions again and again.

HowAreWe wrote: »
    There was a leak, we're going to have to resit it.

Are you serious?

Are you serious?
    no he's joking, that would be all over the boards if it were true

• Advertisement

Sarcasm never comes across well on the internet haha

It's still really irritating that it's not up though since the rest are, including maths which was after it...I don't know if I made the mistake everyone did with the waterfall or not, I wrote about a waterfall but in a question about mass movement processes, which a waterfall is. Don't remember seeing the word deposition so hopefully I didn't make that mistake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

It did say deposition. I was going to do a Meander, but I had learnt about the erosion of one, not the depositional processes! :/ Sorry to be the bearer of bad news!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Limschoolboy

Kelix wrote: »
    It's still really irritating that it's not up though since the rest are, including maths which was after it...I don't know if I made the mistake everyone did with the waterfall or not, I wrote about a waterfall but in a question about mass movement processes, which a waterfall is. Don't remember seeing the word deposition so hopefully I didn't make that mistake.

And what exactly did you say about the waterfall?? that was Q2c and Q2b was a feature of deposition...??

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭mufc1993

Can anyone answer my question - Q.12 c the land use one.

Could you just talk about a model used in a certain area such as central place or multiple nuclei?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

mufc1993 wrote: »
    Can anyone answer my question - Q.12 c the land use one.

Could you just talk about a model used in a certain area such as central place or multiple nuclei?

i would speak about the cbd and zone of transition

And what exactly did you say about the waterfall?? that was Q2c and Q2b was a feature of deposition...??
    Just the general stuff, the processes, hydraulic action, abrasion etc...I'm almost certain the word deposition wasn't there. Just have to wait until the paper comes out. I think if everyone read it wrong it's the commissions fault and they'll adjust the marking, everyone can't fail after all, not worried.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭mufc1993

Sunny!! wrote: »
    i would speak about the cbd and zone of transition
    I wrote about multiple nuclei theory in Dublin. **** it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

Epsi wrote: »
    I wrote about the Cap as well. Brought in the Cfp as well.
    I'm almost sure thats regional development fund. Its on the course but no one does it. I almost looked over it last night but my "common sense" told me they would never be so specific. CAP / CFP apply to the entire EU, not regions, so I dunno if you could answer on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Epsi

Patchy~ wrote: »
    I'm almost sure thats regional development fund. Its on the course but no one does it. I almost looked over it last night but my "common sense" told me they would never be so specific. CAP / CFP apply to the entire EU, not regions, so I dunno if you could answer on them.
    Possibly. I mainly wrote about the CAP , fulfilling the srp requirement. I brought in the CFP briefly at the end. In hindsight you're probably correct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

my friend done the exact same

Possibly. I mainly wrote about the CAP , fulfilling the srp requirement. I brought in the CFP briefly at the end. In hindsight you're probably correct.
    I wouldnt worry - I almost did the same and I would've if I hadnt realized that there was actually a policy with that name. It was very slyly done and clearly intended to trip people up. :mad: With the amount who fell for it they'll probably just have to accept it...

Can someone tell me what Question 4b was again.

factors for what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

Oh I wrote about the Docklands then went on to mention the roads built fml :(.
    That was such a weird question.

I wouldnt worry - I almost did the same and I would've if I hadnt realized that there was actually a policy with that name. It was very slyly done and clearly intended to trip people up. :mad: With the amount who fell for it they'll probably just have to accept it...
    I can't remember the exact wording of the question but wasn't it a question on the influence of EU policies on regional development in Ireland? In which case , discussing the CFP would be suitable?

• Advertisement

I can't remember the exact wording of the question but wasn't it a question on the influence of EU policies of regional development in Ireland? In which case , discussing the CFP would be suitable?
    Hmm, maybe it was, but regional development fund is on disadvantaged regions of Dublin like Ballymun so it fits better. CFP is on coastal areas, really, which cant easily be classified as a region - its just so uncertain that I was too scared to touch it :eek:

Why are they trying to trip people, that's not stopping predictability that's just meaning people who have studied and know the information give an answer fully believing they're correct. People who deserve the marks don't get them because of some idiot thinking they're being smart by phrasing them awkwardly on purpose. The questions we're too specific to the point that getting a full 15 srp's is impossible without waffling and too top it off they haven't even posted the paper online yet. Whoever is in charge of the whole geography exam just needs to be fired.

Hmm, maybe it was, but regional development fund is on disadvantaged regions of Dublin like Ballymun so it fits better. CFP is on coastal areas, really, which cant easily be classified as a region - its just so uncertain that I was too scared to touch it :eek:

I see. I know a couple of other people who attempted the question and answered with the CAP. My gut instinct still feels like it was the correct choice. Only time will tell!

Can anybody help me out by telling me Q4B? European region and i think factors of climate, relief, markets??

The reason it was hard was to seperate grades! Geography is the most picked optional subject.
    They add the twists to identify intelligence (rather than mechanical rote learning) they done this with Ag Science years back. Its to give the students who actually try a chance. The paper was way too predictable, people taking the short way out.

People in my exam centre were pleased with todays paper.

For example some teachers only teach Biomes in the Geoecology section rather than soils - they got a kick in the ass today! That soil question (erosian) was lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭rkeano5

Can anybody help me out by telling me Q4B? European region and i think factors of climate, relief, markets??

The reason it was hard was to seperate grades! Geography is the most picked optional subject.
    They add the twists to identify intelligence (rather than mechanical rote learning) they done this with Ag Science years back. Its to give the students who actually try a chance. The paper was way too predictable, people taking the short way out.

People in my exam centre were pleased with todays paper.

For example some teachers only teach Biomes in the Geoecology section rather than soils - they got a kick in the ass today! That soil question (erosian) was lovely.
    I answered on the Paris basin, and used relief and markets. It was very dodgy, to say the least...

rkeano5 wrote: »
    I answered on the Paris basin, and used relief and markets. It was very dodgy, to say the least...

was it for agriculture?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭rkeano5

was it for agriculture?:)

Yes, that was the question wasn't it?:o

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭e-sull

I thought it was a really nice paper, but absolutely raging over the timing.

The superintendent on the other side of the hall gave out the papers at 9:20. Our side got them at 9:30... And did the other side have to hand up their papers 10 minutes early seeing as they had a head start? God no! Our superintendent was around again at 12:15 hurrying us up, all the while the super on the other side was sitting at her desk with a cupán tae.

Ended up having to leave out most of my maps/diagrams and a 30 marker on the elective. :mad:

Still though, nice paper. The short questions were a bit iffy though..? Uncharacteristically so.

rkeano5 wrote: »
    Yes, that was the question wasn't it?:o

thank god! i was worried thinking back i misread it, like primary or agri!! thank god i didnt

I done Mezzo... with releif and climate (if they mentioned soils i would of done Paris) !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭FinnD

CiaranK wrote: »
    Freaked about Biome, wrote over 4 pages about North American desert biome. Then realised it said BiomeS!!! Noooooo. If I can get away with just the north american deserts I'd say I'll get around 70 of the 80 marks.

I had to completely leave one of electives blank though! :( The urbanisation, I didn't know it, but also ran out of time and had less than half an hour to too the geo ecology! :(

Physical was great I think, Knew the Rocks/Earthquakes very well. Wrote about 2 pages on each.

Regional not so good. I done well on the Agriculture in europe and the sketchmap of region was great too. I hardly got any done on the density of Irelands population. I talked about the Western region.

Elective. The sketch map of the historical map was grand, but the thirty markers weren't great. Irelands population on the graph wasn't too bad but. As I said I had to leave one completely blank.

Short Q's I thought were very tough too.

Someone please tell me I'll be alright on the biome though...

Are you me? :o

Advertisement