Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** Geography 2012- Before/After

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 K.O24

AnnaKin wrote: »
    Can you tell me if in Q17 it was alright to talk about overgrazing/overcropping/desertification since it was about soil erosion?

Please say this was alright to talk about,I'm freaking out here I did overcropping/overgrazing/desertification/deforestation and related it back to the biome but every second line I was like'this adds to soil erosion because...' god I hope it's right can't bring myself to think about losing 20%!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Fiona1993

rkeano5 wrote: »
    Yes, that was the question wasn't it?:o

thank god! i was worried thinking back i misread it, like primary or agri!! thank god i didnt

I done Mezzo... with releif and climate (if they mentioned soils i would of done Paris) !!

Could you not have written about soils in relation to relief?? I did...... :O

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

gDjRZ.png

Eh.. Die SEC?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

gDjRZ.png

Eh.. Die SEC?

I was wondering why they put that question on. I don't remember learning anything about that. I was wondering if they were mistaking it with the business paper for second.

I was wondering why they put that question on. I don't remember learning anything about that. I was wondering if they were mistaking it with the business paper for second.
    We definitely did nothing about Technology ever in Geography! I don't even know whether it's on the syllabus tbh.

• Advertisement

We definitely did nothing about Technology ever in Geography! I don't even know whether it's on the syllabus tbh.

I did most of the human elective myself my teacher wasn't the best. The year before my teacher didn't cover this either. I even went to the ioe for their revision course during christmas for the human section I didn't get any notes about technology :S.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Joey.

I've never seen anything like that in my life...where were they going at all? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Ally7

AfAik it is on the syllabus, it's just no teacher has ever taught it :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭David1994

The minute I saw that question I was like....Wtf? :P We definitely never did it in class lol :)

• Advertisement

I don't know why sec are trying to catch people out the only reason people predict is because they want to do well. I don't know why they see it as "oh we need to make that more harder" . I don't see how they need to see it as a bad thing. As people may have studied so hard then they decide to change everything and it costs them points.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Geographyhater

Ally7 wrote: »
    For anyone panicking about the geoecology question where it said biomes and you weren't sure if you had to do more than one, there was a similar enough question in 2009 "Assess how biomes have been altered by human activity". In the marking scheme it said "examination can refer to one or more biomes" so you're more than likely ok if you only wrote about one :)
    My god i hope your right ! You may have pit me at ease thanks ... Never seen that 2009 question before!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 K.O24

K.O24 wrote: »
    Please say this was alright to talk about,I'm freaking out here I did overcropping/overgrazing/desertification/deforestation and related it back to the biome but every second line I was like'this adds to soil erosion because...' god I hope it's right can't bring myself to think about losing 20%!

Please people freaking out!!!!! Ok to write is in question 17?

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭lorrieq

I don't know why sec are trying to catch people out the only reason people predict is because they want to do well. I don't know why they see it as "oh we need to make that more harder" . I don't see how they need to see it as a bad thing. As people may have studied so hard then they decide to change everything and it costs them points.

Agree completely.

We all prepare for what we expect by looking at past papers. From what I studied I was well covered to nail any of the past papers.
    And then they just throw a different exam at you. A1? Nah, let's hope it doesn't slip past C1.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Joey.

K.O24 wrote: »
    Please people freaking out!!!!! Ok to write is in question 17?

Yeah you're grand, that's what I wrote about anyway :)

lorrieq wrote: »
    Agree completely.

We all prepare for what we expect by looking at past papers. From what I studied I was well covered to nail any of the past papers.
    And then they just throw a different exam at you. A1? Nah, let's hope it doesn't slip past C1.

I mean even some kind of warning would've been better. Or even let the teachers know even the teachers go by predictions. I thought last years was worse with the contrasting regions and then isostatic changes appearing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Geo10

Please help someone?
    For the physical regions Q I split my answer in 2 parts:
    • Geomorphological Regions
    • Climatic Regions
    But I just looked at the question again and saw that it said physical LANDSCAPE??? :eek: Does that mean half my question (Climatic regions) is zero marks?!? I know climate is a physical characteristic but is it part of the landscape???

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭lorrieq

Geo10 wrote: »
    Please help someone?
    For the physical regions Q I split my answer in 2 parts:
    • Geomorphological Regions
    • Climatic Regions
    But I just looked at the question again and saw that it said physical LANDSCAPE??? :eek: Does that mean half my question (Climatic regions) is zero marks?!? I know climate is a physical characteristic but is it part of the landscape???

I think you're supposed to ONLY talk about how the physical landscape is different from surrounding areas... That's what I did.

Did you see how easy the ordinary level questions were? I didn't like the regional section for that though.
    And the short questions looked soo simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 casperkiid

DISGUSTED with that paper. Honestly and truly. Stuggled with each section despite studying so hard and getting a B1 in the Mocks. SEC are being pricks setting papers like that.. So disheartened now tbh. Thought i'd get an A1 going in today. I'd be lucky to get a B3.. There's my dream course gone anyway! :mad:

I feel exactly the same. Worked so hard all year because I'm repeating and if anything screws me getting my course it will be that awful paper.. Threpeat??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Darren.993

I worked so hard for Geography too. I got A's in most of our class tests and I was sure that I was sorted for the actual thing. I know people say oh you should study everything and not rely on predictions, but that paper was a complete 180 to every other year. The SEC really messed it up for me because I lost so much time trying to figure out what to write.

I did the physical landscape too and made a complete and utter mess of it. I wrote about the Munster Ridge and Valley and The Burren but what I wrote was so bad because I had myself in such a panic. I'd be lucky to garner 3 SRP's out of it if I'm honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Wesc.

Does anyone here think they got an A1 or know of anybody in their school who might of got one? I reckon I'm on the verge of an A1 or A2 and with the way things are going with people getting poor grades I think all of our grades could go up!
    So does anyone know someone who thinks they got an A1?

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭JamesDundalk

I'm repeating myself. I did Q2 and Q6. The questions looked hard , I think I did fairly well though.
    Was geography hard in a year?
    My teacher wasn't the best this year even though I've done the course before lol.

I thought the paper was quite difficult. I did question 2, for Landform Development, I did Floodplain, then for human interaction - canalisation, urbanisation, and reservoirs and dam building.

Then question 6 was tricky enough.

Tertiary - tourism then factors: Physical - climate, relief. Human - Transport development (that was my second one, but tied it into how it has helped tourism, not too sure if it can be considered a factor though?), then government policy - lowered vat rates for consumer activities, enterprise ireland etc. then just amenities - again not too sure if that is a factor but discussed all of the tourist attractions etc in GDA) hope I pulled the srps out of it.

Brazil - urban development and population distribution. Discussed how pop distribution impacted on development of sectors in sao paulo, then urban development how it impacted on two cultural groups - positively and negatively. Again not too sure if I fully answered q.

The elective was really hard - population growth and technology? What exactly were we meant to write? Discussed how advances in technology led to job growth etc. and consequent pop growth, then health technology reduced infant mortality etc. it was tricky.

The geoecology wasn't too bad. I did how humans accelerate soil erosion - overcropping, overgrazing and deforestation.

Anyone have the solutions for the sqs? Were not a walk in the park..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

Wesc. wrote: »
    Does anyone here think they got an A1 or know of anybody in their school who might of got one? I reckon I'm on the verge of an A1 or A2 and with the way things are going with people getting poor grades I think all of our grades could go up!
    So does anyone know someone who thinks they got an A1?
    One of my friends said she wrote 15+ srps (SRPs in her opinion) on each section. Q2 was on the DEB mock, that exact one if you'd chosen a beach, so I'd say a lot of people did well there. She did the medical technology in human and said she'd looked over it or something but I forget how geoecology went for her.

Tbh I'd imagine if anyone wrote enough they'll get an A1 for waffle. Whereas my teacher picked hard sections so we'd have concrete facts but none of it seemed relevant. I wrote a lot everywhere but I ran out of time, horribly messing up the option section, what a great way to show who knows their stuff and who doesnt. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Wesc.

Patchy~ wrote: »
    One of my friends said she wrote 15+ srps (SRPs in her opinion) on each section. Q2 was on the DEB mock, that exact one if you'd chosen a beach, so I'd say a lot of people did well there. She did the medical technology in human and said she'd looked over it or something but I forget how geoecology went for her.

Tbh I'd imagine if anyone wrote enough they'll get an A1 for waffle. Whereas my teacher picked hard sections so we'd have concrete facts but none of it seemed relevant. I wrote a lot everywhere but I ran out of time, horribly messing up the option section, what a great way to show who knows their stuff and who doesnt. :)

Yeah I put a few extra SRPs at the end of all of my Physical, Regional and Economic Elective questions.. although I think I may have misread a few a bit :o
    Argh and I'm not sure if I focused on deposition enough in my Ox-Bow Lake answer because I mentioned how it was formed by erosion too!
    Geoecology, essentially, was utter waffle. I kept going on about CAP and their headage schemes in my human impact answer :pac:

You did better than you think I'd say. A few of my friends only wrote one A4 page of crap in the mock for the option and most got in an around half marks. Remember they throw marks at you for giving titles and all that. And don't forget the project and in fairness you had to get over 70 in the shorts :)

I thought the paper was quite difficult. I did question 2, for Landform Development, I did Floodplain, then for human interaction - canalisation, urbanisation, and reservoirs and dam building.

Then question 6 was tricky enough.

Tertiary - tourism then factors: Physical - climate, relief. Human - Transport development (that was my second one, but tied it into how it has helped tourism, not too sure if it can be considered a factor though?), then government policy - lowered vat rates for consumer activities, enterprise ireland etc. then just amenities - again not too sure if that is a factor but discussed all of the tourist attractions etc in GDA) hope I pulled the srps out of it.

Brazil - urban development and population distribution. Discussed how pop distribution impacted on development of sectors in sao paulo, then urban development how it impacted on two cultural groups - positively and negatively. Again not too sure if I fully answered q.

The elective was really hard - population growth and technology? What exactly were we meant to write? Discussed how advances in technology led to job growth etc. and consequent pop growth, then health technology reduced infant mortality etc. it was tricky.

The geoecology wasn't too bad. I did how humans accelerate soil erosion - overcropping, overgrazing and deforestation.

Anyone have the solutions for the sqs? Were not a walk in the park..

The Q2 wasn't too bad or for me I spent more time on the erosion , I only looked at deposition in the morning. The human interaction with the river was alright.

Q6. I had to guess the answers on the A part. Do you remember what countries you put down for "two of the six founding members now in the eu?" and "the member states not in the eu?"
    I put down cyprus and slovakia then for the other Finland and The Netherlands.
    I didn't like the b part I just made stuff up about the gda.

I messed up the human I looked at all of them thinking wtf. Then did q12 and I don't know if I did it right. The geocology was pretty grand I wish I learnt more about the impacts of biomes more.

lol. The more I look at the Geography paper (Physical, Regional, Human and Geoecology) the more I realise the sheer volume of questions that were so specifically asked and had never appeared before, they really were testing us yesterday :pac:

2Ym5x.png

cOHCH.png

eRCzf.png

up93J.png

CvXVJ.png

rCmrf.png

KpXpq.png

Hate to have to do the Leaving next year, they'll be so worried they'll have to cover EVERYTHING! Like we should of, but hindsight eh? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

Wesc. wrote: »
    Yeah I put a few extra SRPs at the end of all of my Physical, Regional and Economic Elective questions.. although I think I may have misread a few a bit :o
    Argh and I'm not sure if I focused on deposition enough in my Ox-Bow Lake answer because I mentioned how it was formed by erosion too!
    Geoecology, essentially, was utter waffle. I kept going on about CAP and their headage schemes in my human impact answer :pac:

You did better than you think I'd say. A few of my friends only wrote one A4 page of crap in the mock for the option and most got in an around half marks. Remember they throw marks at you for giving titles and all that. And don't forget the project and in fairness you had to get over 70 in the shorts :)
    Damn, wish I'd done geoecology now, some CAP would've been nice after that disaster policies thing in Q7 :rolleyes: I dunno :/ I got 68/80 in my mock option without OC marks, I was so ready for it, and then that happened. Its such an underattempted section that they probably wont care to try and bring my grade up. :/ I wrote 3 titles, a bit of waffle under each, an intro and a conclusion so I'm just hoping for some OC marks now. :(

Oh god no the shorts raped me. I'd be lucky to get 50 - we barely did maps/photographs and all the glacial stuff mixed in with it really got me bad :L

lol. The more I look at the Geography paper (Physical, Regional, Human and Geoecology) the more I realise the sheer volume of questions that were so specifically asked and had never appeared before, they really were testing us yesterday :pac:

2Ym5x.png

cOHCH.png

eRCzf.png

CvXVJ.png

rCmrf.png

KpXpq.png

Hate to have to do the Leaving next year, they'll be so worried they'll have to cover EVERYTHING! Like we should of, but hindsight eh? :pac:

The regional part C was just Culture mixed with Urban growth I think :S.

The other biomes question it was just Human impact of a biome about the acid rain in the forrest they just changed the words.

I remember last year they said how economic activities alter biomes. Which is the human impact again :S. I got so confused when I saw it last year and ended up leaving it blank.

That rock question looked awful I couldn't remember what limestone turned into I think it's quartzite :S I left that question anyway.

The geography has gotten harder from last year and it looks like it's going to continue.

• Advertisement

The regional part C was just Culture mixed with Urban growth I think :S.

The other biomes question it was just Human impact of a biome about the acid rain in the forrest they just changed the words.

I remember last year they said how economic activities alter biomes. Which is the human impact again :S. I got so confused when I saw it last year and ended up leaving it blank.

The geography has gotten harder from last year and it looks like it's going to continue.

If 6(C) was Culture and Urban growth I should be sorted! Ohh, but I did my second factor in quick bullet points as I ran out of time and wrote (sorry, ran out of time on the paper :pac:)

Advertisement