Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** Geography 2012- Before/After

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

Limestone becomes marble I think. I looked over metamorphic rocks the night before, I planned to do Q1, even got graph paper, then I saw Q2 and wanted to cry with happiness. It was the only nice question on the entire exam :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Patchy~ wrote: »
    Limestone becomes marble I think. I looked over metamorphic rocks the night before, I planned to do Q1, even got graph paper, then I saw Q2 and wanted to cry with happiness. It was the only nice question on the entire exam :(
    Yeah it does! Limestone changes to marble because of dynamic metamorphism!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Wesc.

The most disheartening thing of all is the sheer amount of time I've wasted studying on this subject. The 4 questions I did were the ones the come up every year (landform, human influence on rivers, MNC and conflicts of interest) and I'd know them anyway. I must of spent about 40 hours studying needless questions and in the end it didn't even matter.
    Ugh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

Q2 was perfect that was probably my best question I couldn't answer 1/3 .
    Yeah it does! Limestone changes to marble because of dynamic metamorphism!

I'm glad I left that question then I forgot to look over the metamorphic rock in the morning. I would've written quartzite :o .
    If 6(C) was Culture and Urban growth I should be sorted! Ohh, but I did my second factor in quick bullet points as I ran out of time and wrote (sorry, ran out of time on the paper :pac:)

Thats what I did anyway I tried to mix the answers together. B I made something up for the gda I spoke about transport and I think jobs or human factors :S. What did we need to say for B). Do you remember what countries you wrote down for part a?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Q2 was perfect that was probably my best question I couldn't answer 1/3 .

I'm glad I left that question then I forgot to look over the metamorphic rock in the morning. I would've written quartzite :o .

Thats what I did anyway I tried to mix the answers together. B I made something up for the gda I spoke about transport and I think jobs or human factors :S. What did we need to say for B). Do you remember what countries you wrote down for part a?

For 6 (B) I discussed Transport in the Dublin City and the factors I did were Physical (relief) and Human (Population) I think!

Relief
    I just talked about how the generally low lying landscape allowed the construction of motorways M4 and new rails, intercity rails (DART/LUAS) the new airport terminal, how the airport could expand due to the non-mountainous relief! Complete waffle but it looked fairly logical!

Population
    I talked about how there was 1.6 million people in the GDA, rural to urban migration increased demand for development of transport infrastructure, More Taxi ranks since they were deregulated in 2010, new LUAS lines etc. I hope I did fairly well, made it up tbh! :rolleyes:

And for Part (A) I said Denmark and Germany were founders, UK and Norway non-members! But Denmark wasn't a founder, and UK is a member I think!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭David1994

Lads what would ye be happy with after that exam? :/ Maybe a B1 for me :P So annoyed...And maths even though its ordinary level went horrible for me :( Bad day yesterday!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭shefellover93

Here I did an Oxbow lake for a depositonal fluvial feature. Only mentioned erosional processes but said in my intro it was a process of both erosion and depositional and talked about how the reduction in valume/velocity causes the river to deposit silt. They won't fcuk me over will they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Wesc.

Here I did an Oxbow lake for a depositonal fluvial feature. Only mentioned erosional processes but said in my intro it was a process of both erosion and depositional and talked about how the reduction in valume/velocity causes the river to deposit silt. They won't fcuk me over will they?

I did the same.. but I didn't mention erosion at the start but I brought it in when going on about hydraulic action and abrasion. I think we'll be ok! Not sure though, tempted to message my geo teacher on facebook but he's a bit of a spa so I probably won't :( :P

Wesc. wrote: »
    I did the same.. but I didn't mention erosion at the start but I brought it in when going on about hydraulic action and abrasion. I think we'll be ok! Not sure though, tempted to message my geo teacher on facebook but he's a bit of a spa so I probably won't :( :P

I listed the processes at the start and then wrote them in red when I mentioned em in the answer :pac: None of my teachers have been in school so I haven't been able to ask em anything:mad:

For 6 (B) I discussed Transport in the Dublin City and the factors I did were Physical (relief) and Human (Population) I think!

Relief
    I just talked about how the generally low lying landscape allowed the construction of motorways M4 and new rails, intercity rails (DART/LUAS) the new airport terminal, how the airport could expand due to the non-mountainous relief! Complete waffle but it looked fairly logical!

Population
    I talked about how there was 1.6 million people in the GDA, rural to urban migration increased demand for development of transport infrastructure, More Taxi ranks since they were deregulated in 2010, new LUAS lines etc. I hope I did fairly well, made it up tbh! :rolleyes:

And for Part (A) I said Denmark and Germany were founders, UK and Norway non-members! But Denmark wasn't a founder, and UK is a member I think!

I did that too except I mentioned bus corridors and the port tunnel then the traffic congestion and that people rely on cars more than buses and things like that. I said there's many young skilled people in the gda aswell.

Oh I wrote Cyprus and Slovakia then Finland and The Netherlands it was all just a random guess. I couldn't remember what the gross domestic thing ment or I know the definition but not calculating it.
    David1994 wrote: »
    Lads what would ye be happy with after that exam? :/ Maybe a B1 for me :P So annoyed...And maths even though its ordinary level went horrible for me :( Bad day yesterday!

I found maths awful too:(. I pretty much failed that paper and most people said it went good but I messed up badly. I'd say I'd get from C1-B1. I really hope it's a B1.

• Advertisement

But I dont get why they'd accept things like that when it said "deposition" - I guess the only way to find out is look up that year they asked erosion OR deposition. See what the marking scheme was like...I'm gonna do it now anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hayezer

For that regional part C on continetal/sub-continental I also just did Culture and growth of a city...did the culture under the 'Population Dynamics' or something I think which is wrong apparently :/ my teacher said if I did it under the Language or Religion heading I would have been fine.
    Was an awkward paper. Like the part B of that regional where they said only ONE tertiary activity was cruel, I didn't have enough on just 1 of them :/

But I dont get why they'd accept things like that when it said "deposition" - I guess the only way to find out is look up that year they asked erosion OR deposition. See what the marking scheme was like...I'm gonna do it now anyway.

Caus it asked for a feature of deposition, and an Oxbow Lake is a feature of deposition

True - I guess its a meander that'd be more obscure. The year was 2010 and they didnt even mention anything about halving marks if it was both processes so yeah I'd say you guys are okay. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭JamesDundalk

Hayezer wrote: »
    For that regional part C on continetal/sub-continental I also just did Culture and growth of a city...did the culture under the 'Population Dynamics' or something I think which is wrong apparently :/ my teacher said if I did it under the Language or Religion heading I would have been fine.
    Was an awkward paper. Like the part B of that regional where they said only ONE tertiary activity was cruel, I didn't have enough on just 1 of them :/

Did nobody do Tourism for tertiary in GDA?

And floodplains for depositional??

True - I guess its a meander that'd be more obscure. The year was 2010 and they didnt even mention anything about halving marks if it was both processes so yeah I'd say you guys are okay. :)

Hopefully! :pac: Devoted a page just to graphs, caus my teacher was like if yer graphs are good they hardly read what you write. Thinking back on it now he talked some bull!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Joey.

Did nobody do Tourism for tertiary in GDA?

And floodplains for depositional??

Yeah I did tourism in GDA, pure waffle though.

I found maths awful too:(. I pretty much failed that paper and most people said it went good but I messed up badly. I'd say I'd get from C1-B1. I really hope it's a B1.

Yeah I normally get B's in Maths but I just messed up and most of the answers wouldn't work out for me...I knew how to do most of it too..So annoying :/
    Did you answer everything?

Yeah I normally get B's in Maths but I just messed up and most of the answers wouldn't work out for me...I knew how to do most of it too..So annoying :/
    Did you answer everything?

Oh I'm not the best of maths. I attempted a few. Q1 was awful, I did part a of question 2. All of q3 . I messed up on q4 a) I'm usually fine with complex numbers. I messed up on sequences and series if I didn't just learn it once I'd be fine. Q6 didn't have a clue what to do looking at the graph I haven't seen anything like it. Q7 went grand apart from the c part and q8 was terrible :(. I hated the a parts apart from q7.

Oh I'm not the best of maths. I attempted a few. Q1 was awful, I did part a of question 2. All of q3 . I messed up on q4 a) I'm usually fine with complex numbers. I messed up on sequences and series if I didn't just learn it once I'd be fine. Q6 didn't have a clue what to do looking at the graph I haven't seen anything like it. Q7 went grand apart from the c part and q8 was terrible :(. I hated the a parts apart from q7.

Ye I don't think it was very nice :/ But if you attempted everything I say you passed..If I don't do good in Paper 2 I dunno what Im going to do :(

• Advertisement

Ye I don't think it was very nice :/ But if you attempted everything I say you passed..If I don't do good in Paper 2 I dunno what Im going to do :(

Not sure most of my answers were wrong apart from maybe 2 questions .
    I'm doing project maths now what annoys me is the sample papers I can't tell if I'm right or wrong :S.

WERE FLOODPLAINS OKAY TO WRITE ABOUT FOR LANDFORMS OF DEPOSITION??? panicking

WERE FLOODPLAINS OKAY TO WRITE ABOUT FOR LANDFORMS OF DEPOSITION??? panicking

I think it should be fine. This has floodplains down as deposition.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesize/geography/water_rivers/river_landforms_rev3.shtml

Cheers. Just not sure whether it is a concrete essay to give for a landform.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

Yep. I did levees but really the two of them are the same answer.

biohaiid wrote: »
    Yep. I did levees but really the two of them are the same answer.

****. I hope I didn't lose marks for it.

I wrote:

Landform: floodplain.

Irish location: old age stage river Liffey.

Then went on with explanations and diagrams etc.

I'm just worried that it's a fluvial feature and not a landform development?:/ did you refer to floodplains in your ans? I drew levees in my diagram, but didn't talk about them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 141 ✭✭WilhelmFink

I think I messed it up a bit.

Blank'd, started writing about meanders! Focused on the depositional aspect, then threw something down about oxbows at the end!

Oh well :p

I wrote:

I'm just worried that it's a fluvial feature and not a landform development?:/ did you refer to floodplains in your ans? I drew levees in my diagram, but didn't talk about them.

I'd say what you said was right!
    The sample answer I had was floodplains and levees cos' we didn't have enough for two seperates. And basically floodplains cause levees.
    But if you had enough on floodplains for an answer I'd imagine you'd get full marks. :)

I think I messed it up a bit.

Blank'd, started writing about meanders! Focused on the depositional aspect, then threw something down about oxbows at the end!

Oh well :p

As far as I know meanders and oxbows are prefectly fine. :)

• Advertisement

biohaiid wrote: »

I wrote:

I'd say what you said was right!
    The sample answer I had was floodplains and levees cos' we didn't have enough for two seperates. And basically floodplains cause levees.
    But if you had enough on floodplains for an answer I'd imagine you'd get full marks. :)

Was floodplain the feature and landform the development?

Cause it said ONE but I suppose floodplains cause levees, and deposit sediment on the bank in the form of alluvial soil? Ah I dunno, worried now haha :(

Advertisement