Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** Geography 2012- Before/After

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35 17Dan21

Short questions were handy enough. The geoecology was good too. The regional and physical cost me a good few marks. it was too specific

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

I did a beach. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭CiaranK

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Astrozombies

I think I messed it up a bit.

Blank'd, started writing about meanders! Focused on the depositional aspect, then threw something down about oxbows at the end!

Oh well :p

Ahhh same :L I was ragin I was just like "A meander is formed by lateral erosion processes but is PREDOMINANTLY a feature of deposition ...." lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭frantic190

Looking back I made some really stupid mistakes on those short answer questions because I was rushing. Really should have checked back over them again :mad:

Quite happy with the rest of the paper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

Beach all the way :)

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭JamesDundalk

Anyone wanna post the solutions to the shorts?

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hayezer

Underestimated the short questions :L :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭Mani09

Now as I look back on the shorts I'm confident I got 70/80 ... They actually weren't that bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 659 ✭✭✭HowAreWe

Mani09 wrote: »
    Now as I look back on the shorts I'm confident I got 70/80 ... They actually weren't that bad.

only thing that made me go "wtf" was the incinerator one,the last bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Gentlemanne

HowAreWe wrote: »
    only thing that made me go "wtf" was the incinerator one,the last bit.

Yeah I thought that was weird as well. Managed to write an impressive answer or the environmental consciousness of Ireland, keeping with the Kyoto Protocol and all that!

I Hope I never have to write ''The burning of fossil fuels like coal gas and oil (In More Developed Countries especially) releases harmful gases'' again

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭JamesDundalk

What were the answers for the map and photograph?? Also the wind pressure on the weather map - was the last statement about the longitude latitude true?faaack

• Registered Users Posts: 15 grizzly_bear

I have a feeling Eucharistic congress WONT come up...after english :rolleyes:

Agreed. I think in a 2/3 of the actual topics be prepared to see NO CASE STUDIES AT ALLL!!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Fiona1993

Wesc. wrote: »
    Does anyone here think they got an A1 or know of anybody in their school who might of got one? I reckon I'm on the verge of an A1 or A2 and with the way things are going with people getting poor grades I think all of our grades could go up!
    So does anyone know someone who thinks they got an A1?

I REALLY hope I did... Three things holding me back though..

1. I didn't number my questions apart from the 80 marker, I just hope the examiner passes no heed but I did put in like eg. Physical - Landform Development - Beach etc..
    2. For the regional question about agriculture, I wrote about relief and climate. I thought you could discuss soils as part of relief but I think I was wrong - 6/7 SRPs could be gone.
    3. None of us know how good our projects are, they're marked awfully hard so they can often bring people down.

I wrote five pages for the 80m and 2-3 for all the 30ms and attempted all short questions which weren't all that bad. Fingers crossed the marking scheme is on my side :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Wesc.

Fiona1993 wrote: »

1. I didn't number my questions apart from the 80 marker, I just hope the examiner passes no heed but I did put in like eg. Physical - Landform Development - Beach etc..
    2. For the regional question about agriculture, I wrote about relief and climate. I thought you could discuss soils as part of relief but I think I was wrong - 6/7 SRPs could be gone.
    3. None of us know how good our projects are, they're marked awfully hard so they can often bring people down.

I wrote five pages for the 80m and 2-3 for all the 30ms and attempted all short questions which weren't all that bad. Fingers crossed the marking scheme is on my side :/

Jesus.. sounds like you did better than me :P

1. I really really doubt they'll penalise you for not labelling your questions tbh.

2. I mentioned a fair bit on soils too! I made up so much sh*t haha, one of my lines was: "The presence of volcanoes such as Mt. Etna and Mt. Vesuvius have previously provided soils with valuable nutrients from explosions of the past e.g. Pompeii"... Not even sure if it makes sense!

3. The projects aren't marked hard :) Sure I read from the Chief Examiner's Report one year the average score was 81% overall in the projects :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭WestIRL

Hey do use "Planet and People" by Sue Holland as your core book?
    You said you did beach as a question- how did you manage to write 2-3 pages on it. I got a bit over 1.5 and I looked through my book after and I literally wrote everything on the page if not more... How did you manage that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

I've just checked my book I don't even have anything about impact on technology for population growth .
    Is it in anyone elses book?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭David1994

I've just checked my book I don't even have anything about impact on technology for population growth .

Don't have my book with me but I am pretty sure its not lol :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

A suitable answer may have been looking at medical technology and its advances and how it has affected population (people living longer/ less deaths during birth etc.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Cruel Sun

A suitable answer may have been looking at medical technology and its advances and how it has affected population (people living longer/ less deaths during birth etc.)

Very difficult to get 12 SRP's on that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

I didnt do human but my friend said she wrote about stuff like penicillin.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 TMCGY

Anyone know roughy how much you would have to write for the 30 markers? Also does anyone know for Q1 A where the drumlin was on the map?! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 659 ✭✭✭HowAreWe

TMCGY wrote: »
    Anyone know roughy how much you would have to write for the 30 markers? Also does anyone know for Q1 A where the drumlin was on the map?! :pac:

minimum a page I think, and the drumlin if I can remember was in the left background?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 TMCGY

minimum a page I think, and the drumlin if I can remember was in the left background?

oh thats ok i wrote roughly two for each 30 marker but still not sure if i had enough SRP'S :confused: also yea i put it in like kinda beside the tributary on the right?!!

Wesc. wrote: »

Jesus.. sounds like you did better than me :P

1. I really really doubt they'll penalise you for not labelling your questions tbh.

2. I mentioned a fair bit on soils too! I made up so much sh*t haha, one of my lines was: "The presence of volcanoes such as Mt. Etna and Mt. Vesuvius have previously provided soils with valuable nutrients from explosions of the past e.g. Pompeii"... Not even sure if it makes sense!

3. The projects aren't marked hard :) Sure I read from the Chief Examiner's Report one year the average score was 81% overall in the projects :eek:

I'm repeating this year, got a B1 last year and my project prevented me getting the A, teacher said they were marked hard. Hope to feck it doesn't let me down this year!

WestIRL wrote: »

Hey do use "Planet and People" by Sue Holland as your core book?
    You said you did beach as a question- how did you manage to write 2-3 pages on it. I got a bit over 1.5 and I looked through my book after and I literally wrote everything on the page if not more... How did you manage that?

Yep I did. What I did was I wrote out every essay from Sue Honan's 'Exam Skills' and anything that waa missing that was in Plant and People I put it in. Most of my essays accumulated to 3-4 pages but the beach one was the shortest at 2 and a bit. I did it in the mock and including the diagram it cane to 30/30 :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Dapics

Yep I did. What I did was I wrote out every essay from Sue Honan's 'Exam Skills' and anything that waa missing that was in Plant and People I put it in. Most of my essays accumulated to 3-4 pages but the beach one was the shortest at 2 and a bit. I did it in the mock and including the diagram it cane to 30/30 :-)

Wow.... thats talent.

Fair dues, I wish I had the motivation to learn off 100 essays

Dapics wrote: »

Wow.... thats talent.

Wait a second.... Did you write 2-3 pages for a 30 mark question??? How did u manage that in 2:50 mins??

Will someone help me out??? Everyone on this thread is saying that they wrote 3 pages for each 30 mark question. My teacher said only do 1.5 pages maximum which I struggled to finish in time. Did anyone else do about 1-1.5 pages for there 30 mark questions?

• Advertisement

Dapics wrote: »

Wow.... thats talent.

I think its the fact I repeated this year and the disappointment of being 5 points off my course motivated me to cop the hell on and that this was my last chance!

Advertisement