Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** Geography 2012- Before/After

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭mufc1993

Short Q's: Very tough!

Physical - Did q.3. Not great, wasn't expecting folding Q. :/

Regional- Did q.6 I think it was, wasn't great to be honest. Knew nothing about the eurozone and wasn't sure what to write for part c.

Human Env- Did q.12. Pretty okay, graph was easy and settlement Q was grand. For the land use question, part c, could you just talk about a land use model?

Geoecology- Did the human activities on soil erosion. 3.5 pages on desertification happy enough.

Overall: Sickened.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Geographyhater

Can some one explain to me how ou would of answered the geoecology essay the biome one the third one?? Cause i dnt think i did it right??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

Very happy! :)
    I know all the geoecology that came up so had a choice, went for interference with soils.
    I dod the physical on the landform of deposition and the dam.
    I did the regional on Teritary on Ireland and SW USA.
    Annnd the elective on Developing World cities.

Short Qs were fine.

All and all very pleased, hope I get my A!
    All the sample answers I know were there but questions were just worded awkwardly, had to think a bit more.

Oh and for once I got everything finished, loads of time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭CaoimheCweeva

Went so much better than expected! I failed it in the mocks, though I completely skipped the Regional section and 2 parts of the electives question! I didn't open a book until last night and was panicking so much, even got up at 5.30 this morning and it seemingly paid off! Everything I studied came up in some way or another, the sedimentary q. in the physical question , but I didn't know the metamorphic part, and the earthquakes q. except my plate tectonics part for it was a bit of a mess, didn't get to do the concept of a region q. because I don't even understand that, hated the biome question, wasn't expecting that at all so I wrote some random crap down, and the development of technology question was so easy but I didn't get to finish it .. overall, HAPPY OUT! Would love 65% , including the project, but doubt I got that much

Can some one explain to me how ou would of answered the geoecology essay the biome one the third one?? Cause i dnt think i did it right??

I didnt do that one but I had it learnt.
    Our headings were Deforestation, Industrial Development, Permanent Settlement and Intensive agriculture.

• Advertisement

biohaiid wrote: »

I didnt do that one but I had it learnt.
    Our headings were Deforestation, Industrial Development, Permanent Settlement and Intensive agriculture.
    Ok so
    Me talking about deforestation permanent settling and cattle grazing in california would be alright?

Ok so
    Me talking about deforestation permanent settling and cattle grazing in california would be alright?

Perfect!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Cruel Sun

I too misread a question, sly trick you played SEC, you know what I'm talking about.

That's my A gone, rest of paper was fairly nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

DISGUSTED with that paper. Honestly and truly. Stuggled with each section despite studying so hard and getting a B1 in the Mocks. SEC are being pricks setting papers like that.. So disheartened now tbh. Thought i'd get an A1 going in today. I'd be lucky to get a B3.. There's my dream course gone anyway! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 44 TMCGY

Martin_94 wrote: »
    I too misread a question, sly trick you played SEC, you know what I'm talking about.

Which q is this?? Everyone is aying they mis read a q and now im afraid i did the same?! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Darren.993

Gutted is the only way to describe how I feel after that paper. I didn't get one of the 30 mark questions finished and for two others I only got less than half a page down. The other questions I did were terrible as well. I also left half of the short questions blank.

The paper was really cruel I thought. I spent a good portion of my time trying to pick which question to actually do. The mocks were simple in comparison.

I got an A1 in the pre, but I'd honestly be lucky to scrape a C on that paper. Just so disappointed. :(

biohaiid wrote: »
    Ok so

Perfect!
    Even though it stated biomes in the question istead of biome

What que?

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭certifiedcrepe

Delighted!! Everything I knew came up. Seems to have been my day :)

awkward monent when I learn 3 geo-ecology essays AND NONE UP UP UUUUUUUUGHHHHHH 80M what is life

and for deposition I wrote about meanders .... why why

You should get at least half marks anyways, meanders is erosion and deposition!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Ally7

Did you only have to write about one biome in question 18?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 liamduffy1994

I wrote 4 pages, first two were what I know off about the desert and agriculture, one page on deforestisation which was complete bull and I wrote about industry in cool temperate oceanic region of european and wrote about acid rain etc? Really tough question, Id say it brought the rest of my questions down a good bit

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Darren.993

My heart completely sank when I saw the landform development question. I have so many essays on features of deposition but just focused on the waterfall. I completely fell into their trap on that one.

SEC are being pricks setting papers like that..

Truer words were never spoken.

For one of the physical, every year they give a choice of doing a landform formed by either deposition, erosion etc....this year they stuck it in the same place but it was just deposition you could do it on, I did waterfall. 6 % gone. Sly trick. The rest was okay. I should have looked at the question properly all the same.

oh ok thanks! I didnt do that Q so im ok! I prob would of made same mistake.. you dont have time to read the q's properly cause ur so pushed for time.. I dont know what to make of the paper cause i only took up geog this yr.. is 3 pages for geocology enough? I feel like its no where near 80 marks.. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭CaoimheCweeva

awkward monent when I learn 3 geo-ecology essays AND NONE UP UP UUUUUUUUGHHHHHH 80M what is life

and for deposition I wrote about meanders .... why why

I think meanders was ok for that question? If it's the question I'm thinking of ... I didn't answer it, but when I read it I was thinking of meanders, and a lot of people in my year did it and wrote about meanders, and my teacher said that was perfect

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Munster07

What a disaster of a paper!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Kelix

TMCGY wrote: »
    oh ok thanks! I didnt do that Q so im ok! I prob would of made same mistake.. you dont have time to read the q's properly cause ur so pushed for time.. I dont know what to make of the paper cause i only took up geog this yr.. is 3 pages for geocology enough? I feel like its no where near 80 marks.. :confused:
    As long as you have 40 SRP's that actually answer the question, it doesn't matter how much you write.

Kelix wrote: »
    As long as you have 40 SRP's that actually answer the question, it doesn't matter how much you write.

Yeah 3 pages is fine I'd say, depends what you wrote though!
    How do you think you did?

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭CiaranK

Freaked about Biome, wrote over 4 pages about North American desert biome. Then realised it said BiomeS!!! Noooooo. If I can get away with just the north american deserts I'd say I'll get around 70 of the 80 marks.

I had to completely leave one of electives blank though! :( The urbanisation, I didn't know it, but also ran out of time and had less than half an hour to too the geo ecology! :(

Physical was great I think, Knew the Rocks/Earthquakes very well. Wrote about 2 pages on each.

Regional not so good. I done well on the Agriculture in europe and the sketchmap of region was great too. I hardly got any done on the density of Irelands population. I talked about the Western region.

Elective. The sketch map of the historical map was grand, but the thirty markers weren't great. Irelands population on the graph wasn't too bad but. As I said I had to leave one completely blank.

Short Q's I thought were very tough too.

Someone please tell me I'll be alright on the biome though...

Yeah 3 pages is fine I'd say, depends what you wrote though!
    How do you think you did?

I dunno its kind of hard to tell.. i got i C1 in the mock but cant decide if that went better or not .. Wbu? hopefully the project will bring me up a bit!

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭FreeFallin94

Short Questions- Definitely found them trickier than usual!

Physical- Did well in this hopefully! My teacher said that we should learn a feature of deposition as well as a waterfall and she was right!

Regional- Did the one about the physical landscape defining a region and so I went on about the Burren, the North European Plain and the Giants Causeway. For the part C I chose to discuss how location and transport influenced Paris- completely made this stuff up so don't know if I'll do well!

Economic- did the Colonialism question and talked about Brazil and then talked about tourism in France although I really only focused on the Paris basin! Wasn't too bad though!

Geoecology- Lovely! Overgrazing, Over-cropping and deforestation is what I was hoping for and it was there exactly how I'd learnt it!

Definitely thought the paper was harder than other years!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭AnnaKin

Please tell me Human activities on soil was a good answer for Q17...got very paranoid that i went wrong by doing the overgrazing,overcropping desertification! And that paper...it was a lot trickier to manage and I found I only had a decent answer to one question in each section and had to waffle the other question! Hopefully managed my B but sure I cant tell :o

• Advertisement

I dunno its kind of hard to tell.. i got i C1 in the mock but cant decide if that went better or not .. Wbu? hopefully the project will bring me up a bit!

I got a C in the mock, but with the amount of study I've done for geography over the last month or two I was hoping for an A or at least a B1, but because of that slip and a few others I'd say I got B3 maybe B2 if I'm lucky, but it's awful hard to tell. Timing is crazy, it's mad....hand was aching after. :pac:

Advertisement