Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** Geography 2012- Before/After

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭WestIRL

Lovely physical. Nice biome. Nice Economic.

But one thing I'm worried about is the B part of Regional I answered.
    "Discuss how landscape has shaped distinct regions." Or something along those lines.

I talked about how soils and relief have influenced the economic prosperity of regions such as Mezzo, GDA and comparing the good with the bad and how that determines how well off a region is... Should I have talked about Karst, I would have loved to but I didn't think it would come up under regional. :(

Not that big of a deal, my other questions were good. Just does anyone think that was an OK way to answer that question?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 FunnyUserName

There's my college course gone. Sound <3 The worst thing is the people who come out with "Awh you probably just think you did worse than you did" NO I DIDN'T!! I think I know how **** I did. And the maths paper that followed had me in tears I had to go outside to the toilet :(

• Registered Users Posts: 44 TMCGY

Martin_94 wrote: »
    I got a C in the mock, but with the amount of study I've done for geography over the last month or two I was hoping for an A or at least a B1, but because of that slip and a few others I'd say I got B3 maybe B2 if I'm lucky, but it's awful hard to tell. Timing is crazy, it's mad....hand was aching after. :pac:

Yea same! haha i thought the physical Q1 was nice...only wish the sketch map was of the other map! Regional was ok aswel only wasnt sure of pop distribution in ireland, kinda waffled that a bit.. Actually does anyone know what the mistake in the paper was in the short Qs?

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭CiaranK

CiaranK wrote: »
    Freaked about Biome, wrote over 4 pages about North American desert biome. Then realised it said BiomeS!!! Noooooo. If I can get away with just the north american deserts I'd say I'll get around 70 of the 80 marks.

Someone please tell me I'll be alright on the biome though...

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Dapics

I thought that was a horrible paper!

The questions were very specific!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Dapics

TMCGY wrote: »
    Yea same! haha i thought the physical Q1 was nice...only wish the sketch map was of the other map! Regional was ok aswel only wasnt sure of pop distribution in ireland, kinda waffled that a bit.. Actually does anyone know what the mistake in the paper was in the short Qs?

The question with the map co-ords. One of the symbols for what you were supposed to look for was misprinted so it looked like all the others around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Darren.993

There's my college course gone. Sound <3 The worst thing is the people who come out with "Awh you probably just think you did worse than you did" NO I DIDN'T!! I think I know how **** I did. And the maths paper that followed had me in tears I had to go outside to the toilet :(
    Ugh yes that happened me today as well, it is the worst. They think you're being modest but you really have done crap.

I got in such a panic in the middle of Geography that every answer I wrote from then on made no sense at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Cruel Sun

TMCGY wrote: »

There was a ringfort that was only half in the picture, I didn't know until after the exam, so I got that wrong, pretty much everyone got it wrong and I'm hoping they'll give everyone the marks for it because it was their mistake not ours.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭mufc1993

Does anyone know if just writing about the multiple nuclei theory would be okay for Q.12 c?? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭Whatsernamex33

I'd be lucky if I pass the thing.. I have no idea why, but I just started having a mini panic attack /: when I calmed down, just literally everything went out of my head and I couldn't concentrate :( which is pretty sad seeing as I knew alot, and would have been one of my better exams. Here's to trying getting a better grade than I needed in French or physics now :(

• Advertisement

Dapics wrote: »
    The question with the map co-ords. One of the symbols for what you were supposed to look for was misprinted so it looked like all the others around it.

Huh? I still dont understand :p haha spose it doesnt really matter now anyway!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

There was a ringfort that was only half in the picture, I didn't know until after the exam, so I got that wrong, pretty much everyone got it wrong and I'm hoping they'll give everyone the marks for it because it was their mistake not ours.

So what was the answer?
    I said ringfort too, didnt understand what they meant in the correction .. our examiner didnt either.

biohaiid wrote: »
    So what was the answer?
    I said ringfort too, didnt understand what they meant in the correction .. our examiner didnt either.

Yea the correction made no sense!! Stupid SEC....

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Vetton

biohaiid wrote: »
    So what was the answer?

I think the answer was ringfort, that's what others said, I got it wrong, but they have to give everyone the marks for it because they ****ed up not us, either way it's only worth around 0.3 of a percent.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭kilfeather94

I thought the paper was just alright. Wasn't simple but it wasn't impossible either. the Geoecology question was really bad this year though! Only managed to get 2 and a half pages on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭irishdub14

Was anyone else totally thrown by 'Place the X at the Confluence' ??!! I was like wtf?? But guessed it was where the two rivers meet and got it right! Some good news for me anyway... :)

I think the answer was ringfort, that's what others said, I got it wrong, but they have to give everyone the marks for it because they ****ed up not us, either way it's only worth around 0.3 of a percent.

Oh okay that's fine.
    The only antiquities in the reference were ringforts so I kinda guessed. :L

irishdub14 wrote: »
    Was anyone else totally thrown by 'Place the X at the Confluence' ??!! I was like wtf?? But guessed it was where the two rivers meet and got it right! Some good news for me anyway... :)

What question was that?

Is that right?? I guessed that too!! :D

also what was the drumlin?? I put it in like kinda beside the tributary??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭Whatsernamex33

Haha noone knew what that correction meant, after me explaining it to the examiner, he still didn't get it :L it was the ringfort though (:

Do the sketch maps have to be good, like clear because mine were a mess. They look like ****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Wesc.

That was a f*cking ****ty paper. Geoecology was a f*cking disgrace all the other options were so much more straightforward and I could only answer on the middle one when I had prepared 4 other questions and none came up! :(

Still hopefully I'll scrape the A1. I got the short answers, physical and economic elective all done in the space of an hour and 5 minutes so I could make up my own regional answers and do the soil erosion question by myself.

For distribution of population is that the same or similar to expansion of a city?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 FunnyUserName

Darren.993 wrote: »
    Ugh yes that happened me today as well, it is the worst. They think you're being modest but you really have done crap.

I got in such a panic in the middle of Geography that every answer I wrote from then on made no sense at all.

I've never felt so thick in all my life, and the worst thing is I feel so defeated now I can't face studying for next week!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

For question 12c) for the changing land use? what did you have to talk about?

I'm not sure if I messed up or managed to think of something.

Do the sketch maps have to be good, like clear because mine were a mess. They look like ****.

Nah dont think so... as long as what you were asked to put in is clear enough.. my teacher always said its a geog exam not an art :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Darren.993 wrote: »
    Gutted is the only way to describe how I feel after that paper. I didn't get one of the 30 mark questions finished and for two others I only got less than half a page down. The other questions I did were terrible as well. I also left half of the short questions blank.

The paper was really cruel I thought. I spent a good portion of my time trying to pick which question to actually do. The mocks were simple in comparison.

I got an A1 in the pre, but I'd honestly be lucky to scrape a C on that paper. Just so disappointed. :(

EXACTLY how I feel. It's so discouraging putting so much work into something and get dealt a paper like that.

I'm sorry but Q.10 on the Human Elective asked about the effect of technology on population? That's fúcking ridiculous. I've NEVER seen that anywhere like..

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Darren.993

I've never felt so thick in all my life, and the worst thing is I feel so defeated now I can't face studying for next week!
    Honestly I feel exactly the same. Everyone keeps telling me to forget about it but I can't. I keep thinking back wishing I had picked different questions and just thinking about how badly I screwed up one of my best subjects.

Hopefully we'll be over it by tommorrow, because this feeling is horrible. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭irishdub14

Is SW USA a sub-continental region? Because I used it as one for a sketch map....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Wesc.

Is SW USA a sub-continental region? Because I used it as one for a sketch map....

I'm pretty sure it is, it has to be like.

Advertisement