Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Iphone 4, still on IOS 4.2.1

• 07-06-2012 6:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 268 ✭✭

As the title says, I'm still on IOS 4.2.1 (not jailbroken). Reason being I was reluctant to upgrade with all the talk about battery problems after every IOS update. My battery lasts a day easy and I'd typically use 60-70% daily. That's mostly texting & surfing with wifi on and mobile data off.

I don't have any SHSH blobs saved, long story short,I thought I could pull them from my phone with tinyumbrella at any time before I updated but have now discovered thats not the way it works. So I have no way back.

My dilemma is I'm curious about IOS 5.1.1. I'm aware of the features, icloud, better notifications etc but there's nothing I cant live without, especially if it means battery life will take a hit.

So I guess I'm asking if it was you would you stay on 4.2.1 or update and why?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

NetNinja wrote: »
    As the title says, I'm still on IOS 4.2.1 (not jailbroken). Reason being I was reluctant to upgrade with all the talk about battery problems after every IOS update. My battery lasts a day easy and I'd typically use 60-70% daily. That's mostly texting & surfing with wifi on and mobile data off.

I don't have any SHSH blobs saved, long story short,I thought I could pull them from my phone with tinyumbrella at any time before I updated but have now discovered thats not the way it works. So I have no way back.

My dilemma is I'm curious about IOS 5.1.1. I'm aware of the features, icloud, better notifications etc but there's nothing I cant live without, especially if it means battery life will take a hit.

So I guess I'm asking if it was you would you stay on 4.2.1 or update and why?

Battery life on mine didn't change, but I restored it as a new phone, rather than from a previous save, and it has been fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 268 ✭✭NetNinja

whiterebel wrote: »
    Battery life on mine didn't change, but I restored it as a new phone, rather than from a previous save, and it has been fine.

So after the restore do you have to manually transfer all the apps settings etc or is it just a case of syncing in itunes?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

If you have everything set to sync everything should be there when you sync bar text messages. Back up your contacts to an exchange account such as a gmail email address

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

If anything I find that 5.1.1 has greatly improved standby time on all my idevices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 268 ✭✭NetNinja

guil wrote: »
    If you have everything set to sync everything should be there when you sync bar text messages. Back up your contacts to an exchange account such as a gmail email address

All my contacts are synced with outlook automatically so I should be ok there.

I presume after I restore as new I need to rename my phone back to what it was before I restored, & then sync?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

No the name will stay

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

you can still back up the shsh blobs for 4.2.1 using ifaith.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭wush06

Not sure but you might want to keep your baseband so look in to that before you update.

Advertisement