Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relacement Bannisters

• 07-06-2012 6:50pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭

I would love to change the banisters in the house. I have seen them for sale in Discount DIY for €299.

I am assuming i would need a carpenter to install it ? anyone idea how much this would cost?

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭woodturner

irishbird wrote: »
    I would love to change the banisters in the house. I have seen them for sale in Discount DIY for €299.

I am assuming i would need a carpenter to install it ? anyone idea how much this would cost?

cheers

Couldn't see it costing that much. Its a simple enough job. Once you saw out one baluster the rest can be taken out by removing the infill. Its a job that you could easily manage yourself. If you need any further advice just PM me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,043 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

woodturner wrote: »
    Couldn't see it costing that much. Its a simple enough job. Once you saw out one baluster the rest can be taken out by removing the infill. Its a job that you could easily manage yourself. If you need any further advice just PM me.

Simple enough for someone who knows what they are doing. And maybe the spindles are not the only thing the OP wants to change ?

I would assume the handrail / baserail will have to go....and the newel posts. I'm one "for havin a go" and have done my own, just saying that there is a bit more to it for a non-DIYer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭woodturner

dodzy wrote: »
    Simple enough for someone who knows what they are doing. And maybe the spindles are not the only thing the OP wants to change ?

I would assume the handrail / baserail will have to go....and the newel posts. I'm one "for havin a go" and have done my own, just saying that there is a bit more to it for a non-DIYer

I have never done any joinery work and wouldn't know the first thing about stairs. I'm a novice woodturner. I know someone who may have never done much DIY might not know where to start, but after removing a balluster and a piece of infill, it should be pretty straight forward. As long as the ballusters are the same thickness and the infill is the same and cut to the same lengths as was in before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 88 ✭✭wwwboof

if it is just handrail you want to replace you also need a lenght of in fill as the in fill is nailed to the handrail.

pm me and i could give you a price:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,043 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

wwwboof wrote: »
    if it is just handrail you want to replace you also need a lenght of in fill as the in fill is nailed to the handrail.

pm me and i could give you a price:D

Why in the name of jasus would the OP only want to change the handrail ?:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 88 ✭✭wwwboof

dodzy wrote: »
    Why in the name of jasus would the OP only want to change the handrail ?:rolleyes:

maybe she wants a oak handrail with white spindels.i have seen it done before and it looks well.:D

Advertisement