Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I still get into college?

• 07-06-2012 6:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hey so just finished english, didn't go well. Basically I'm not sure if I can be accepted into college now, if I've failed.

Situation:
    Must have 2 honors and 4 passes for matriculation
    I'm a repeat got 1 honor and rest passes last year. Doing all honors again and only 6 subjects.
    If I fail english, can I merge my two certs for the 2 honors and 4 passes needed, as this year I would only have 5 subjects passed and last year didn't have the second honor?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Nitsuj

Lamie wrote: »
    Hey so just finished english, didn't go well. Basically I'm not sure if I can be accepted into college now, if I've failed.

Situation:
    Must have 2 honors and 4 passes for matriculation
    I'm a repeat got 1 honor and rest passes last year. Doing all honors again and only 6 subjects.
    If I fail english, can I merge my two certs for the 2 honors and 4 passes needed, as this year I would only have 5 subjects passed and last year didn't have the second honor?
    Not a hundred percent sure, but I think you should be able to pick the better results from the two leavings.
    Be nice if someone confirmed this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 204 ✭✭readystudypass

You can use your pass in english from last year for matriculation entry requirements unless you are applying for medicine. You cannot use english from last year for points purposes for any course (unless you end up with less points this year).

• Registered Users Posts: 13 mcmxci

You can only take CAO points for exams in a single year but separately from the points system, if they demand a C3 in French and you got one previously, that's enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

You definately can't count two different years for points. I do know of someone who did honours Irish in 2010 passed it but didn't get enough points so repeted in 2011 but dropped Irish and went and did primary teaching. Just in case you don't know. Irish is a requirement for primary teaching.

AFAIK you can use a combination from any amount of sittings for matriculation but only your most recent for points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

As everyone has said, you can fulfil minimum requirements from either year (except for medicine), but your points will be calculated from one sitting / year only.

And don't assume the worst, right after an exam when you're tired and stressed, if you don't feel it went well everyone tends to go into "OMG FML I've failed!!!" mode. It's very seldom accurate. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement