Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Euros

• 07-06-2012 6:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭

so 22 hours left until the opening game in what is a competition full of games that will keep it interesting. im excited

so where in limerick will everyone be watching??? are you more of a stay at home until we have a chance of getting through the group type sunshine fan or are you a bleed green die hard back the lads all the way type???

where will be the best atmosphere in town over the next month???

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Everywhere will prob be busy i say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭Rocky_Dennis

Icky Thump wrote: »
    so 22 hours left until the opening game in what is a competition full of games that will keep it interesting. im excited

so where in limerick will everyone be watching??? are you more of a stay at home until we have a chance of getting through the group type sunshine fan or are you a bleed green die hard back the lads all the way type???

where will be the best atmosphere in town over the next month???

Are you saying you're a die hard if you go to the pub and watch it and you're a sunshine fan if you watch it at home?

I will watch all of the games at home I'd say, I prefer watching matches in the comfort of my own home where I can see the game properly and hear the commentary properly, not listening to people in the pub talking shite through the whole game.

I'd say most pubs will be busy for all the games so there will definitely be a good atmosphere around town. Probably around The Office, Nancys, Smyths area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Icky Thump

Are you saying you're a die hard if you go to the pub and watch it and you're a sunshine fan if you watch it at home?

I will watch all of the games at home I'd say, I prefer watching matches in the comfort of my own home where I can see the game properly and hear the commentary properly, not listening to people in the pub talking shite through the whole game.

I'd say most pubs will be busy for all the games so there will definitely be a good atmosphere around town. Probably around The Office, Nancys, Smyths area.

no not at all i mean the people who dont watch the games at all unless we get past the group stage where aparantly "it gets exciting"

yea unfortunatly my over reliance on getting broadband and no tv means i have to rely on dodgy streams(legal ones of course like rte) that might skip and stall or else head out. so i think the latter is the only option. i dont mind packed places as long as there is a bit of atmosphere and they leave the commentary on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭Rocky_Dennis

Icky Thump wrote: »
    no not at all i mean the people who dont watch the games at all unless we get past the group stage where aparantly "it gets exciting"

yea unfortunatly my over reliance on getting broadband and no tv means i have to rely on dodgy streams(legal ones of course like rte) that might skip and stall or else head out. so i think the latter is the only option. i dont mind packed places as long as there is a bit of atmosphere and they leave the commentary on

There will be plenty of pubs around town with a good atmosphere so you won't fall short on that, just be wise to pick a pub with plenty of TV screens, I've found in the past that some pubs have the TVs positioned badly and if the pub is busy, it can be hard to find a good spot with a decent view of a TV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Brian Lighthouse

It would be fantastic if we could recreate the atmosphere that was around in 1988, 1990, and 1994.
    The whole country went berserk completely. It was a brilliant time. Everyone you met out was in high spirits and not one ounce of trouble was reported.
    We need a community building experience like that again.
    I can`t comment on 2002 as I was out of the country.
    I`m confident we can get out of the group:
    http://brianlighthouse.wordpress.com/category/european-championships-2012/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

It would be fantastic if we could recreate the atmosphere that was around in 1988, 1990, and 1994.
    The whole country went berserk completely. It was a brilliant time. Everyone you met out was in high spirits and not one ounce of trouble was reported.
    We need a community building experience like that again.
    I can`t comment on 2002 as I was out of the country.
    I`m confident we can get out of the group:
    http://brianlighthouse.wordpress.com/category/european-championships-2012/
    Some pub is doing a talk with some former players on the evenings. Think its out by UL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭afro man

A2LUE42 wrote: »
    Some pub is doing a talk with some former players on the evenings. Think its out by UL.

the pavilion in ul alan mc laughlin on june 10th & john aldridge on 14th & 18th for pre match analysis / half time / full time analysis and a bit of crack in between think they are charging 10 euro per match or 20 euro for the 3 games

Yeah John Aldridge will be going, I heard him on the radio. He`s not going to Poland as he`s doing some corporate gigs in Limerick. It`s the new place on the north-side of the campus The Pavilion.

I think town will be buzzing. Loads of Drinks promos and Bar B Q`s planned for Ireland`s game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,279 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Not with this type of summer weather.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Any bars doing drink deals? Or brought in big screens?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Skuxx

leakyboots wrote: »
    Any bars doing drink deals? Or brought in big screens?

All pints in Mollys are €3 for every game up until the first goal is scored!!
    Don't think the TV's in there would be great though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭Jofspring

alan1990 wrote: »
    All pints in Mollys are €3 for every game up until the first goal is scored!!
    Don't think the TV's in there would be great though!

Plenty of tvs in there alright and a giant screen which comes down but not sure if that would be down as it leads to the smoking area.

Whelans most likely doing drinks promotions also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,279 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Any pub worth their salt will be doing promotions to get people in the door.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

For any1 that has a Sky Hd Box...but no Sky Hd Package...you will be happy to know you can view the world cup on RTE2 HD for free on Channel No 294...

You must have an active subscription for this to work....enjoy

The Bailey Bar, and The Blind Pig are doing the "Heineken 1st 90" in wearing green will get a free pint. Hi-Way, Russells and Still House are giving a free pint of Carlsberg to every one in the bar when Ireland score (penalties don`t count).
    On my travels during the week I saw Heino and Carlsberg reps giving out tickets for raffles, free kegs to bars etc etc.
    Check the Limerick Post, there are tonnes of adds for what happening for the matches.

Enjoy whatever you get up to, I looking forward to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

Watching it at Showtime Cinema. Its crazy seeing a match live on a screen this size.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

562169_252670474833354_660741695_n.jpg

pic from showtimes facebook page

I thought it was a great way to see a match. You never know in a pub when the tall guy is going to move in front of you. It only cost €5 in so I thought it was good value. Very clear picture in Hight Def.

Hope they start doing it for more events. Would love to see Game of Thrones etc on the big screen.

- Before anyone asks I have absolutely no connection to the Cinema by the way.

wingnut wrote: »
    I thought it was a great way to see a match. You never know in a pub when the tall guy is going to move in front of you. It only cost €5 in so I thought it was good value. Very clear picture in Hight Def.

Hope they start doing it for more events. Would love to see Game of Thrones etc on the big screen.

more events would be cool, like a UFC ppv or something, but the time difference and licensing would be an issue. they are showing Jaws this weekend so more classics movies would be cool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Roadend

Any chance of an aul blue up on the big screen....

• Advertisement

Roadend wrote: »
    Any chance of an aul blue up on the big screen....

a "blue"? whats life like back in 1987?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Icky Thump

wingnut wrote: »

was there beer??:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Roadend

krudler wrote: »
    a "blue"? whats life like back in 1987?

Hairy....

Game of Fifa where the players are bigger than you are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 235 ✭✭whacker00

the showtime cinema for the match does sound like a great idea might go there for the spain game on thursday. Was there many for the croatia game ??? is there any alcohol allowed ???

Didn't see anyone drinking at the last one I very much doubt its allowed. I'd say the pub is a better bet for drinking and watching the match. I would go again but I'll be in Italy for the next two games ;)

Advertisement