Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jobs for possible student?

Options
  • 07-06-2012 6:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭

So heres my story...

I'm 23, left the Navy two weeks ago. Most people think I'm mad for doing so but I saw it as a dead end job going nowhere, and found myself getting more and more depressed getting up for work everyday.

I've recently been accepted into Brunel University to study Sports Science. Its something I've always had an interest in and the more I think about it, the more it seems appealing to me. Since I'm not entitled to any maintenance grants (just the tuition loan) I'd pretty much have to find work immediately in order to pay for rent/food, etc.

Would it be easy to pick up even a bar job over there? As the late evenings/nights would suit me. Have you noticed many places actively looking for staff?

I grew up in a bar so have the experience. The university is a good bit outside London City itself, near to Heathrow...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭83ste

Just based on my own casual observations walking to/from work through central London, there do seem to be plenty of bars/restaurants looking for staff, and I'd say having experience will put you ahead of 90% of applicants.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Feathers

Dr.Sanchez wrote: »
    So heres my story...

I'm 23, left the Navy two weeks ago. Most people think I'm mad for doing so but I saw it as a dead end job going nowhere, and found myself getting more and more depressed getting up for work everyday.

I've recently been accepted into Brunel University to study Sports Science. Its something I've always had an interest in and the more I think about it, the more it seems appealing to me. Since I'm not entitled to any maintenance grants (just the tuition loan) I'd pretty much have to find work immediately in order to pay for rent/food, etc.

Would it be easy to pick up even a bar job over there? As the late evenings/nights would suit me. Have you noticed many places actively looking for staff?

I grew up in a bar so have the experience. The university is a good bit outside London City itself, near to Heathrow...

Just did a quick search there & it says that Brunel is in Uxbridge, which is quite west alright. Gumtree has two ads up for bar staff in Uxbridge, though a little bit out of date.

Generally I'd agree with serrity, casually it seems like there's a lot of places looking. The fact that you grew up in a pub is surely a huge plus, & you're looking for work on their busy times.

I'd also email the Students' Union & ask can they forward a CV onto their bar management in the college too. Colleges are a great place to get bar work as a lot of their experienced staff leave every year :)

Are you going to be living in Uxbridge itself?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Feathers

This is out of date, but presume it still applies this year:

http://brunelstudents.com/content/62555/work_for_ubs/

Mentions they're looking for casual bar staff. Have the contact address as ubs.recruitment@brunel.ac.uk. IN fact, going in as a mature student from the Navy is a huge plus on its own — if I were a manager I'd must rather have you in that 17year olds that I have to try & keep in line, watch the whole time.

Good luck man!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Dr.Sanchez

Thanks for the info, I would have never thought of the students union as all this university stuff is new to me! I'll deffo send on an email to them later on.

Yeah, I'd like to live relatively close to the university or at least a short trip away on the tube. I've been keeping an eye on gumtree, always checking it!

Advertisement