Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electricity PPU

Options
  • 07-06-2012 7:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭

Hi I've just moved into a house that uses electrocard meters where you buy prepaid tokens from the landlord for the electricity. I was looking at the setting of the meter and it's set at 20.50 PPU (Price per unit). What I'm wondering is is this higher than normal for the price of electricity?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭bucky08

16cent is the price per unit but then their is a standing charge every two months also make a note how much credit u use in two months you will see how much its costing u then per 2 months should be about 120 if u dont have storage heaters in house if u do cost a lot more

• Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

bucky08 wrote: »
    16cent is the price per unit but then their is a standing charge every two months also make a note how much credit u use in two months you will see how much its costing u then per 2 months should be about 120 if u dont have storage heaters in house if u do cost a lot more

Well there's a meter in everyone's bedroom and then one for all the common areas. My one is set to 20.50 PPU and I don't know what everyone else's is. If it is higher than the tariff rate is this allowed? i.e. are landlords allowed to make a profit on electricity?

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭gigtown

Helpful thread. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭wush06

You do pay some extra when paying by prepaid.

Came home to no electricity and a fridge of warm meat today. Used 25 euro in 2 weeks. Too much.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

gigtown wrote: »
    Came home to no electricity and a fridge of warm meat today. Used 25 euro in 2 weeks. Too much.

It depends on exactly what electical appliances you have- but 12.50 a week, excluding heating- sounds quite reasonable to me?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

gigtown wrote: »

sounds very very very reasonable. 25 quid for two weeks electricity is nothing.

Was paying 19 per fortnight in my last home with direct debit electricity.

Advertisement