Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One way ticket?!.

Options
  • 07-06-2012 7:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭

A young lad I know, he's organised his working holiday visa (as far as I know) but he's only booked a one way ticket (to Oz). I was of the impression that the Aussie customs boys insisted on us Paddys having a return ticket to Eire to ensure that we wouldn't outstay our welcomes. Will he be allowed entry or told to feck off home?...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

They will definitely ask the question. I came out here 4 years ago on a one way ticket, but I had a bank statement showing that I had enough money saved to get a ticket wherever. They did ask about the one-way ticket, I explained that by saying I wasn't exactly sure what my plan was.

Having said that, the situation has changed a bit over here, and Border Control are being a little more probing than before, so it might be an idea to have a ticket to Auckland for 8 months time up his sleeve, just to save any hold-ups at immigration, its really not a nice feeling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

You don't need any onward ticket and he wont have any issues with it. At worst they may ask to prove you have funds to sustain yourself and all you need in that case is a bank statement or a credit card.
    Buying an onward ticket to Auckland just to appease immigration is a total waste of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Nick Diamond

Sure that's what I did, it's a great thing to do because having a return ticket is a little bit of a whimp out - because if things don't start off great people can be inclined to leg it home

He'll be grand

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭noddyflavin

Thanks...

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭lippy11

Arrived here the 7th of March... Passport stamped and walked straight threw, no questions at all!!! All that was said was 'Enjoy Australia' :)! He'll be grand I'm sure..

(I didn't have a return ticket BTW)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 Erinclarekelly

the access to additional funds.. does that include the $5k your supposed to have or is it you should have that and access to additional funds such as credit card?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 debs1

the access to additional funds.. does that include the $5k your supposed to have or is it you should have that and access to additional funds such as credit card?

If you only have a 1 way ticket you should have the 5k plus additional monies to show you have enough to get home

Advertisement