Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom broadband evening speeds

• 07-06-2012 8:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

I have 24mb NGB Eircom Broadband since December 2011, and 7.2mb regular broadband since September 2010. For the last three months I have only been getting download speeds between 0.3 and 2.5mb between 19:30 and 00:00, roughly. I haven't bought any new equipment nor changed router placement, cables etc. tried sorting it with customer service for the last 3 months to no avail. The last I heard from Eircom customer service a couple of weeks ago was they wanted me to pay for an engineer to call out. I refused and haven't heard from them since. I was wondering did anyone else have this issue and if not could they tell tell me what Vodafone broadband is like? Really sick of Eircom at this stage. Cheers in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Untitled.png
    HEHE
    Sorry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,663 ✭✭✭Glebee

Im in the same boat. With Eircom and speeds in the evening have become a joke. Have 7mb package and getting pings of 307ms and download speeds of 0.72Mbps:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Bean Rua

I have the same issue with Eircom. My line is capable of up to 7mb, but unfortunately not likely to be NGB for some time yet. I was with Vodafone for last few years and had steady reliable speeds of between 5mb-6mb 24/7 - evenings were not a problem. I switched to Eircom in August to try out Study Hub for my kids doing exams this year. I am so sorry now, biggest mistake ever. Worst broadband service I've ever had in last 12 years, it's like being in the dark ages. Constant latency errors and server timeouts, woeful speeds below 1mb after 6pm. No consistency whatsoever, they charge more for this so called "Advanced Home Package" than I was paying with Vodafone, and I now know that Study Hub is boring, average, getting out of date and has no material for the new Project Maths syllabus, i.e. not worth it. My line, modem, equipment etc. exactly the same as with Vodafone, but the difference in speeds attained beggars belief. I can't see how Eircom's contention ratio could be that much more than Vodafone's in my area. Can anyone tell me if it is possible that they have different contention ratios over basically the same DSL line infrastructure?

At this point I feel like writing to Comreg and saying I have been completely misled by Eircom in terms of what they actually deliver compared to what they advertise and contract to sell? Anybody with me on this?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

They can congest their own users easier than they can congest Voda users because Voda might complain :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    They can congest their own users easier than they can congest Voda users because Voda might complain :)

I think Eircom give their customers better service in general than any of the other resellers. I think their system is designed like that. Certain options aren't even available to the resellers. If Comreg had any teeth, they would have done something about it years ago.

• Advertisement

I'm afraid I really can't agree with you Praetorian about Eircom delivering better service than the other resellers. My experience with them so far has been a litany of buffoonery.

As my contract with Vodafone was nearing its end date, I was constantly getting unsolicited calls from Eircom sales, telling me that I'd get 8mb uncongested broadband, unlimited dowloads, free calls, all the extras etc. for €40 pm. I explained to them that my area was not NGB enabled yet. No problem they guaranteed me, you'll get exactly the same speeds you get now with VF (up to 7mb) and get an automatic upgrade to NGB when it does become available. So I signed up to this bundle saying I would keep my own modem and avail of their discount for that also.

What happened next was:

1. I was put on a 3mb package (speeds less than 1mb) with a 10GB download limit and an Eircom modem which I specifically did not request arrived in the post.

2. When I screamed about the speeds because I could not work, it took two weeks and an awful lot of stress and lost work time before they conceded to put me on the 'Advanced Home Package' which was supposed to have up to 7mb, but of course the price of the package went up by €10 or more a month. Only after hours on the phone talking to rude, disinterested call centre people who more or less said 'tough', "nothing to do with me', I said I was requesting a copy of the recorded phone call made when signed up to all the false promises. Only then was my complaint escalated and I negotiated a discounted price on this new so called 'Advanced Package'. When I spoke to complaints I asked them if they had listened to the recording, and they said that they had. They verified that I had particularly mentioned that I maintain the max speed for my line, equivalent to my service with VF.

3. I wrote to Eircom over 6 weeks ago requesting a copy of that call. I've had no reply whatsoever and no recording. I am going to write again this week.

4. Now I'm on the Advanced Package and while I get speeds of 5-6mb in the daytime. Every evening the speed sinks below 1mb. My latest test just 30 mins ago had a Download speed of 0.12mbs and upload of 0.05. See for yourself http://www.speedtest.net/result/2236138265.png. 99% slower than the rest of Ireland!!

Better service, I think not!

This never ever happened when I was with VF. If ever there were outages/problems, their customer service was polite and efficient and fixed the problem quickly.

Bean Rua wrote: »
    I'm afraid I really can't agree with you Praetorian about Eircom delivering better service than the other resellers. My experience with them so far has been a litany of buffoonery.

As my contract with Vodafone was nearing its end date, I was constantly getting unsolicited calls from Eircom sales, telling me that I'd get 8mb uncongested broadband, unlimited dowloads, free calls, all the extras etc. for €40 pm. I explained to them that my area was not NGB enabled yet. No problem they guaranteed me, you'll get exactly the same speeds you get now with VF (up to 7mb) and get an automatic upgrade to NGB when it does become available. So I signed up to this bundle saying I would keep my own modem and avail of their discount for that also.

What happened next was:

1. I was put on a 3mb package (speeds less than 1mb) with a 10GB download limit and an Eircom modem which I specifically did not request arrived in the post.

2. When I screamed about the speeds because I could not work, it took two weeks and an awful lot of stress and lost work time before they conceded to put me on the 'Advanced Home Package' which was supposed to have up to 7mb, but of course the price of the package went up by €10 or more a month. Only after hours on the phone talking to rude, disinterested call centre people who more or less said 'tough', "nothing to do with me', I said I was requesting a copy of the recorded phone call made when signed up to all the false promises. Only then was my complaint escalated and I negotiated a discounted price on this new so called 'Advanced Package'. When I spoke to complaints I asked them if they had listened to the recording, and they said that they had. They verified that I had particularly mentioned that I maintain the max speed for my line, equivalent to my service with VF.

3. I wrote to Eircom over 6 weeks ago requesting a copy of that call. I've had no reply whatsoever and no recording. I am going to write again this week.

4. Now I'm on the Advanced Package and while I get speeds of 5-6mb in the daytime. Every evening the speed sinks below 1mb. My latest test just 30 mins ago had a Download speed of 0.12mbs and upload of 0.05. See for yourself http://www.speedtest.net/result/2236138265.png. 99% slower than the rest of Ireland!!

Better service, I think not!

This never ever happened when I was with VF. If ever there were outages/problems, their customer service was polite and efficient and fixed the problem quickly.

I said "in general", but there are always going to be exceptions to the rule when Eircom are at capacity on an exchange or there is a bottlekneck somewhere. I take care of a lot of dsl lines so I can see a larger trend and from talking to people in the IT business I have a fairly good picture. Eircom / Smart generally offer the best dsl service. Eircom are the most expensive though.

Go back to Vodafone if you have to. You can leave Eircom if they are giving you a bad service. I have. If they are giving you a bad service then you can get out of the contract.

Praetorian wrote: »

Go back to Vodafone if you have to. You can leave Eircom if they are giving you a bad service. I have. If they are giving you a bad service then you can get out of the contract.

Appreciate your point of view, Praetorian. How do I get out of the contract with Eircom without having to pay them for a year's broadband? I thought their small print had me all tied up? I would really appreciate your advice on this as honestly, I just can't work in the evenings with speeds that are consistently less than 1mb.

I will send you a private message

Advertisement