Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Casually killing creatures

• 07-06-2012 8:54pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭

Where do you draw line as to which creatures are ok to casually kill? For example I have no problem morally standing on a spider or any insect, but standing on a mouse would feel a bit wrong to me.

At what point on the spectrum of life forms do you begin to feel guilt killing them?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Anything that I could see, I'd feel guilty about killing on purpose. I did flamethrower a spider one time, but he was huge - and I tried about 20 times to catch him and put him out the window. He didn't play ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭jokettle

Spiders and insects invading my home deserve to be killed.

Mice or rats that invade my home....ideally I'd trap them humanely and release them, but if they're in my kitchen, bedroom or catch me by surprise, then they're getting smushed. This is my house, they can get their own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Taking pleasure in doing it is where I would place the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

I try not to kill anything, but can't help but feel more squeamish about killing a larger animal (rodent or bigger, basically) whose pain and death is more clear.

It's an irrational, emotional reaction, but I can't really help that.

I'd still try to avoid killing insects and spiders mind you, but I wouldn't lose any sleep about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

Yeah, I'm the same - I'd kill any insect/bug no bother, but would only kill something else if it was a mercy death.
    Like my cat sometimes leaves half dead things in our garden - luckily my husband has always been here to deal with it, but I would kill the bird/rabbit/whatever if I had to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Where do you draw line as to which creatures are ok to casually kill? For example I have no problem morally standing on a spider or any insect, but standing on a mouse would feel a bit wrong to me.

At what point on the spectrum of life forms do you begin to feel guilt killing them?
    This should be fun
    Il tell the rest of the lads on the hunting section to come over
    Il start it off il kill anything that's in range and in season and foxes question is what would I not kill
    Answer - dog

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭micropig

horses or llama's..they fight back:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

I just release everything out the window.

A seal:pac:

This should be fun
    Il start it off il kill anything that's in range and in season and foxes question is what would I not kill
    Answer - dog

What would your reasons for killing them be?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

I couldn't kill anything - I feel quilty if I accidently drown a spider I didn't see in the shower :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

Well as long as you are not making the animal suffer I don't really draw a line. They taste good. Insects I don't really care about, not too sure why.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭girl in the striped socks

Spiders, flies, mice, rats etc have no business in my home so they will be killed if they come in.

Wouldn't have any problem killing a rabbit or fox out shooting if my aim wasn't so bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Any animal I can either kill or knock out with one punch. Too much of a waste of energy otherwise.

This should be fun
    Answer - dog

What would your reasons for killing them be?
    Why do I need a reason?
    I hunt that's my reason it's my pastime

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

I don't even have the stones to kill a spider.

Literally :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

micropig wrote: »
    A seal:pac:
    i sure you have heard that awful story on the news, some cruelty

goat2 wrote: »
    i sure you have heard that awful story on the news, some cruelty

Too Soon?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 324 ✭✭Spook80

flies. and maybe that chick from M-people

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Emerald1

I usually try catch insects in a glass and release them outside.

I wouldn't be as kind to wasps though... If one was near a window I'd open it until it went through it; if not, I couldn't promise it'd have a happy ending! But I'm wary of them ever since I was stung by one when I was a child... Painful experience!

But I would agree with drawing the line at gaining pleasure from killing creatures.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Fizzlesque

I'm not comfortable killing any creatures. I've spent stupid amounts of time trying to encourage flies to fly out windows I've opened for them, and the idiot creatures almost always go the opposite direction. That said, since I took two cats in to my home to live with me, those stupid flies get caught and eaten by one of my cats more often than they make the smart decision to fly out the window.

I've even apologised to tiny spiders after I've accidentally killed them - and I'm not keen on spiders, although I do find the tiny ones cute :eek:

A few years ago, a spider (one of the tiny cute ones) ended up spending three days bungee springing on his own spider string from one of my lamps. I named him Bungee Spider because he spent those three days pirouetting up and down on his spider string which was dangling from the lamp beside my computer. This was before I had cats....though my cats don't seem to be able to see spiders. I got quite fond of Bungee Spider, and, I guess, he didn't need to eat all that much because he spent all that time either pirouetting or sleeping in his spider-string hammock, until one day (3 days later) I noticed he was gone, never to return again :(

A friend of mine killed a cock roach once and I was glad she did. It took a lot of brute force, and a concrete block to do it, but I didn't lament its passing. We were camping in Portugal, and the evening before we'd been drinking and chatting with some other camp-site dwellers when the conversation turned to cockroaches. I'd never seen a cockroach at this point (this was many, many moons ago) and said as much. Later that night, as I slept in my tent, I (in a wakeful moment) felt something run up my leg. Laughing to myself, I concluded it was my imagination, considering the conversation we'd had, and went to sleep again.

The next morning, as I was bimbling about in my tent, I lifted a bag/jumper/don't remember what and out scuttled a cockroach. I had never realised I could exit a tent backwards with great speed until that morning. Anyway, my friend (the concrete block wielding friend) wasted no time locating the offending creature and getting him out of the tent to have his head, body and entire existence bashed to death.

Years later, in Thailand, I saw cockroaches being roasted and sold as snacks outside a train station. I declined. Not for 'life is precious' reasons, but, well, do I need to elaborate why? :)

Fizzlesque wrote: »

A friend of mine killed a cock once and I was glad she did. It took a lot of brute force, and a concrete block to do it, but I didn't lament its passing. We were camping in Portugal, and the evening before we'd been drinking and chatting with some other camp-site dwellers when the conversation turned to cock. I'd never seen a cock at this point (this was many, many moons ago) and said as much. Later that night, as I slept in my tent, I (in a wakeful moment) felt something run up my leg. Laughing to myself, I concluded it was my imagination, considering the conversation we'd had, and went to sleep again.

The next morning, as I was bimbling about in my tent, I lifted a bag/jumper/don't remember what and out scuttled a cock. I had never realised I could exit a tent backwards with great speed until that morning. Anyway, my friend (the concrete block wielding friend) wasted no time locating the offending creature and getting him out of the tent to have his head, body and entire existence bashed to death.

Years later, in Thailand, I saw cock being roasted and sold as snacks outside a train station. I declined. Not for 'life is precious' reasons, but, well, do I need to elaborate why? :)

fyp:p

micropig wrote: »
    fyp:p

Ya little rascal. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Why do I need a reason?

Im not strictly anti hunting but your doing hunters no favours saying you kill for no reason other than fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

If it does not bother me I wont bother it.

Spiders/Flys, I wont actively try and kill them and will move em out of the
    way with as sheet of paper or waving that arms to get them out the window.
    I dont see a NEED to kill anything living without a reason.

Rodents I've had them as pets as a kid so wont try and kill them without a
    good reason, I've 10 Cats so they take care of any vermin in the neighborhood but I will still try and prevent them from killing anything if its in my face.

Bearing in Mind I'm a gun owner but anti-blood sport but at the same time
    I'm no tree hugging hippie and love my McDonalds burgers and have no issue
    with culling or stopping vermin, and I have no issue with Animals been killed
    for food (Pigs are cute and make great pets and are intelligent but they also taste great when I dont have to do the nasty killing of them) I do draw the line when it comes to Trophy Hunting when it comes from Killing for the thrill of the hunt when the animal does not need to die, regardless of the excuses that it brings in XXX amount of cash to a 3rd world country or it was bred to be hunted etc etc etc (insert excuse) it kinda leaves me in Limbo land.

seen over in the hunting/shooting boards before things that have stumped me.

Some lad who used to shoot Rabbits as vermin until there was no rabbits about his patch of land
    and then he has a bright idea of introducing them into the area again just so he's got something to shoot. That makes no sense whatsoever. It basically means he's done his job with ridding the area
    of vermin but now wants to re-introduce the vermin just because he wants the pleasure rather than requirement to shoot and kill them where he has permission to shoot. That to me crosses the line
    where a Person is Killing a living thing for the Pleasure of Killing rather than the actual Need to kill it.

Hunters that complain about not seeing much bunnies to shoot around their place
    you would think would be thankful they have no pest to deal with in their area but
    instead they are disappointed they have nothing to shoot.

Something that a Townie/semi country person will never understand I guess.

~B

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

I reckon I could kill a human quicker than any other creature - spiders included.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

Can't kill a spider? Google "camel spider". You'll need a grenade.

I don't mind little spiders. I'll let them go but big spiders the size of your palm or larger, oh, I'll kill them. Even if it means throwing a phone book, shrieking, and running in the opposite direction.

On another note... do you really say "standing on a spider" instead of "stepping on a spider"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭BornToKill

Fizzlesque wrote: »
    Years later, in Thailand, I saw cockroaches being roasted and sold as snacks outside a train station. I declined. Not for 'life is precious' reasons, but, well, do I need to elaborate why? :)

More likely those were giant water bugs rather than cockroaches. They do look alike though when roasted!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Can't kill a spider? Google "camel spider". You'll need a grenade.

I don't mind little spiders. I'll let them go but big spiders the size of your palm or larger, oh, I'll kill them. Even if it means throwing a phone book, shrieking, and running in the opposite direction.

On another note... do you really say "standing on a spider" instead of "stepping on a spider"?

I've flushed a spider down the loo if that counts.
    BornToKill wrote: »
    More likely those were giant water bugs rather than cockroaches. They do look alike though when roasted!

Pair of ye are well named for this thread I tell ya!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    I reckon I could kill a human quicker than any other creature - spiders included.

Note to self: never puss you off! If I do I'll blame it on the spider :)

I've no problem killing a creature regardless of size once it's not a pointless death eg I kill rabbits, pheasants, deer, chickens, turkeys, quails, ducks, cows, pigs, lambs for food. I kill foxes, crows magpies, mice and rats as they're vermin. I don't mind spiders I but HATE flies they can f**k right off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

bullets wrote: »
    If it does not bother me I wont bother it.

Spiders/Flys, I wont actively try and kill them and will move em out of the
    way with as sheet of paper or waving that arms to get them out the window.
    I dont see a NEED to kill anything living without a reason.

Rodents I've had them as pets as a kid so wont try and kill them without a
    good reason, I've 10 Cats so they take care of any vermin in the neighborhood but I will still try and prevent them from killing anything if its in my face.

Bearing in Mind I'm a gun owner but anti-blood sport but at the same time
    I'm no tree hugging hippie and love my McDonalds burgers and have no issue
    with culling or stopping vermin, and I have no issue with Animals been killed
    for food (Pigs are cute and make great pets and are intelligent but they also taste great when I dont have to do the nasty killing of them) I do draw the line when it comes to Trophy Hunting when it comes from Killing for the thrill of the hunt when the animal does not need to die, regardless of the excuses that it brings in XXX amount of cash to a 3rd world country or it was bred to be hunted etc etc etc (insert excuse) it kinda leaves me in Limbo land.

seen over in the hunting/shooting boards before things that have stumped me.

Some lad who used to shoot Rabbits as vermin until there was no rabbits about his patch of land
    and then he has a bright idea of introducing them into the area again just so he's got something to shoot. That makes no sense whatsoever. It basically means he's done his job with ridding the area
    of vermin but not wants to re-introduce the vermin just because he wants the pleasure rather than requirement to shoot and kill them.
    area

~B

What hes doing is bascially using an antiquated term like vermin to justify killing them for fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Spunk84

If it walks or crawls and can be killed, it will be killed;) Kill it before it kills you:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

Spunk84 wrote: »
    If it walks or crawls and can be killed, it will be killed;) Kill it before it kills you:eek:

Humans walk and kill .................................

BornToKill wrote: »

Thanks for that information, BornToKill....and that creepy picture link :D

It was so long ago, I have no way of knowing if it was giant water bugs or cockroaches, you may be right. However, I would like to add, at the time I read a Thai newspaper, that was printed in both Thai and English (each Thai-written story had an English-written version at the side, that had an article/advertisement asking people to collect cockroaches to be sold on (I don't know who was buying them). I remember wondering what this was about, but it was just a newspaper lying around in the cafe I had lunch in one day, that I picked up to read, so my knowledge of the subject is very limited.

Either way, I'd much rather not eat whatever creature was being roasted...no matter how hungry I got, and I was often hungry during that particular trip but hunger was sometimes preferable to the food on offer :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

I try my best not to kill spiders or flys, or bugs at that,

I don't kill foxes, but I do kill rabbits I try my best to get a quick kill on them, it's not very often.

I don't kill something that I wouldn't eat..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Stompbox

How many people here who have confessed that they don't feel comfortable in killing any creature also readily consume animals they haven't killed directly?

Why do I need a reason?

I can't imagine that would be universally popular on the hunting forum.

I seriously can't understand why someone would kill another animal without a reason. It's a mindset I just can't understand at all.
    Why? If the animals aren't doing you any harm and you don't receive any benefit from killing the animal, why not just leave it alone?

Honestly, while I've tried to understand the viewpoint, I find it frightening that there are people out there who would kill animals without any reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

I try not to kill anything.

Apart from rats, mice, magpies, crows, cats, minks and hedgehogs.
    I'd kill em all but they don't count as animals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Anything that makes a mess when you stand on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 789 ✭✭✭The Internet Explorer

Never have I intentionally killed anything. I have been known to save various life forms from various drinks, toilets and other highly dangerous things.

On one or two occasions I have unfortunately had to end the life of cousin fly because of ****ed up body syndrome or NWLs (No Wing Left Syndrome)

It's what they would have done for me.

Rest in Peace.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Pedant

I've constructed a miniature concentration camp at the back of my garden. It's about 2 meters squared and has electric fences about one foot in height around the perimeter. Anytime I come across spiders, mice, rats and other vermin, I just place them inside the miniature concentration camp. When the camp gets crowded, all of the vermin are placed inside a small gas chamber I constructed that's about the size of two shoe boxes. I feed some natural gas from a canister into the chamber for about 15 minutes. After that time, all the vermin are dead. At another end of the camp, I've constructed a small brick crematoria and place the dead in there. Their ashes are dumped into a small pit outside the perimeter of the camp.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

people have hunted since.. we were people
    it's was for food sure, clothing yeah.. but there was also a thrill in the hunt and in the kill

I don't hunt and I never will, traipsing around in the cold and wet to shoot something when I can just go to the butchers for dinner just seems stupid to me but I will never deny that hunting and killing other animals is a natural and ancient human passtime.

enjoying the activity and even the kill is worlds away from torturing or maiming animals for sport, one is normal and human the other is a clear warning sign for future sinn fein voter.

Where To wrote: »
    I try not to kill anything.

Apart from rats, mice, magpies, crows, cats, minks and hedgehogs.
    I'd kill em all but they don't count as animals.

You might want to take down Hedgehogs:eek: There a protected Irish animal!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Whatever Dr. Booth tells me to kill

Pedant wrote: »
    I've constructed a miniature concentration camp at the back of my garden. It's about 2 meters squared and has electric fences about one foot in height around the perimeter. Anytime I come across spiders, mice, rats and other vermin, I just place them inside the miniature concentration camp. When the camp gets crowded, all of the vermin are placed inside a small gas chamber I constructed that's about the size of two shoe boxes. I feed some natural gas from a canister into the chamber for about 15 minutes. After that time, all the vermin are dead. At another end of the camp, I've constructed a small brick crematoria and place the dead in there. Their ashes are dumped into a small pit outside the perimeter of the camp.

What about the gold teeth, i heard theres a "Killing" in gold teeth:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Spunk84 wrote: »
    You might want to take down Hedgehogs:eek: There a protected Irish animal!!!!
    I take them down everyday :)

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Why do I need a reason?

Im not strictly anti hunting but your doing hunters no favours saying you kill for no reason other than fun.
    I never said I do it for fun not did I say I do it for no reason I have my reasons but I asked why should I need one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,840 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Why do I need a reason?

Would you accept the same reasoning if a serial killer happened to choose somebody close to you as one of their victims? After all, you don't seem to put value on other creatures lives (other than a dog) so could you argue with them for thinking and acting the same, it's just a case of maybe your lists differing in what's on your hit list. Not using any man made laws or beliefs of course? Just a question, not wanting to start any debate here :)

Where To wrote: »
    I take them down everyday :)

Do you do bait badgers too?

I never said I do it for fun not did I say I do it for no reason I have my reasons but I asked why should I need one
    Why do I need a reason?

The sole reason you gave was that it's your pastime, which effectively means that you do it for fun.

Pastimes are usually fun.

• Advertisement
Advertisement