Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Casually killing creatures

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Why do I need a reason?
    I hunt that's my reason it's my pastime

I can't imagine that would be universally popular on the hunting forum.

I seriously can't understand why someone would kill another animal without a reason. It's a mindset I just can't understand at all.
    Why? If the animals aren't doing you any harm and you don't receive any benefit from killing the animal, why not just leave it alone?

Honestly, while I've tried to understand the viewpoint, I find it frightening that there are people out there who would kill animals without any reason.
    My question was why do I need a reason? Why is it anyone else's business what I do it for
    If you must know I eat majority of animals I kill
    I give to neighbours aswell
    As for crows and foxes I kill them to control them foxes especially even tho I wouldn't get many

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

micropig wrote: »
    Do you do bait badgers too?
    Only two-legged ones

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

My question was why do I need a reason? Why is it anyone else's business what I do it for
    As for crows and foxes I kill them to control them foxes especially even tho I wouldn't get many

Because it's cruel but more importantly, worrying, if someone kills animals without a reason.
    I think it's understandable that someone would be curious about why another person would hunt.

I don't know why you didn't mention you eat most of the animals you hunt earlier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

which creatures are ok to casually kill?

Could i say Scummers who tie up pensioners and beat them to a pulp while tied up.
    Or is that one of the things i should not think out loud about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Spunk84

cormie wrote: »
    Would you accept the same reasoning if a serial killer happened to choose somebody close to you as one of their victims? After all, you don't seem to put value on other creatures lives (other than a dog) so could you argue with them for thinking and acting the same, it's just a case of maybe your lists differing in what's on your hit list. Not using any man made laws or beliefs of course? Just a question, not wanting to start any debate here :)

Jeffrey Dahmer ate what he killed;) On a serious note, No you cant make the distinction between a serial killer and a hunter!!! Serial Killers break the law by killing humans, Hunters follow the law and seasons to harvest game. Now if it was legal to hunt humans then hunters would have to follow the same principle of seasons and laws i.e women only hunted during the summer as they are most active and kids hunted year round as they keep appearing out of no where. Always follow your country's laws and you should be grand:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Deus Ex Machina

dlofnep wrote: »
    Anything that I could see, I'd feel guilty about killing on purpose. I did flamethrower a spider one time, but he was huge - and I tried about 20 times to catch him and put him out the window. He didn't play ball.

Jaysus, flamethrower is a touch extreme no? Oh we had to euthanise granny, called in an artillery strike on the hospital.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭BornToKill

Spunk84 wrote: »
    If it walks or crawls and can be killed, it will be killed;) Kill it before it kills you:eek:

Austrian accent: If it bleeds, we can kill it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

No probs killing any type of food, same with vermin rats, pigeon etc; I'm out with the rifle and shotgun most weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Violafy

My unchangeable opinion is that anyone who kills animals for fun is completely barbaric - absolutely no excuse for it. I couldn't care less if it's a "tradition" that some people seem to want to maintain - tradition becomes invalid when it allows either humans or other animals to suffer.

I understand that people may be more emotionally attached to dogs than insects, but I'd never harm either, and find it a bit hypocritical when those who get outraged about the fur trade etc think nothing of squashing any spiders they find in their house.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Pedant

What about the gold teeth, i heard theres a "Killing" in gold teeth:D

I shave off all the rats hair and put it into pillow cases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭micropig

Violafy wrote: »
    My unchangeable opinion is that anyone who kills animals for fun is completely barbaric - absolutely no excuse for it. I couldn't care less if it's a "tradition" that some people seem to want to maintain - tradition becomes invalid when it allows either humans or other animals to suffer.

I understand that people may be more emotionally attached to dogs than insects, but I'd never harm either, and find it a bit hypocritical when those who get outraged about the fur trade etc think nothing of squashing any spiders they find in their house.

What's your stance on pulling off daddy longs legs legs and letting them go free?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,840 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Jeffrey Dahmer ate what he killed;) On a serious note, No you cant make the distinction between a serial killer and a hunter!!! Serial Killers break the law by killing humans, Hunters follow the law and seasons to harvest game. Now if it was legal to hunt humans then hunters would have to follow the same principle of seasons and laws i.e women only hunted during the summer as they are most active and kids hunted year round as they keep appearing out of no where. Always follow your country's laws and you should be grand:)

My question was on the basis of not adhering to any mad made laws, religious beliefs etc. This would give rise to the belief that the only thing stopping one who kills animals from killing humans is the fear of repercussions of the law.

Theres nothin worse than a p1ss taking Squirrel. Now whos the fcuking mug!

" His eyes look sad ":(-Jay

:D

He was coming straight for me

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Fizzlesque

What's your stance on pulling off daddy longs legs and letting them go free?

FYP :p

Does anyone say 'pulling off' anymore? If not, my 'revenge' won't be quite as smirksome (yes, I did make that word up just now, especially for you :))

Fear not, I'll get you eventually, little rascal, now in my sights....:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭BornToKill

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    Pair of ye are well named for this thread I tell ya!

Thanks, though I think I was trying to suggest something about the duality of man - the Jungian thing, sir.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Mosquitoes die.
    Sometimes wasps that refuse to be ushered out the window.
    I did try to kill a spider last summer while in the Philippines but its legspan was about 8 inches and I was scared ****less. It got away anyway, despite being walloped with a refill pad, so I needn't feel guilty. Usually I end up apologising to spiders I accidentally kill though.

Because it's cruel but more importantly, worrying, if someone kills animals without a reason.
    I think it's understandable that someone would be curious about why another person would hunt.

I don't know why you didn't mention you eat most of the animals you hunt earlier.
    Because its my business what I do and my reasons are my business
    So y should I explain my business there's plenty of people out there with guns that kill and leave the animals there I met one or two and didn't agree with it
    The only animal I'd shoot and throw in a ditch is a fox as I'm helpin to control them like other lads I'd not get many tho as I only shoot them if I'd come across one while hunting
    I shoot crows and magpies but I keep them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Longfellow

I casually kill feral goats. I hate them bastards. They do nothing but damage, eatin young trees and damaging hedgerows. We lamp them with rifles or when they have young use the dogs. It's a great feeling seeing those bastards die.:D

cormie wrote: »
    My question was on the basis of not adhering to any mad made laws, religious beliefs etc. This would give rise to the belief that the only thing stopping one who kills animals from killing humans is the fear of repercussions of the law.

There you have it!!! Its the law:D without laws animals like humans would be fair game, especially humans who are animal lovers :eek:

Fizzlesque wrote: »
    FYP :p

Does anyone say 'pulling off' anymore? If not, my 'revenge' won't be quite as smirksome (yes, I did make that word up just now, especially for you :))

Fear not, I'll get you eventually, little rascal, now in my sights....:D
    Well played:D

I hope it's not in the sight of your rifle:eek:
    Longfellow wrote: »
    I casually kill feral goats. I hate them bastards. They do nothing but damage, eatin young trees and damaging hedgerows. We lamp them with rifles or when they have young use the dogs. It's a great feeling seeing those bastards die.:D

Some of them goats are only pretending they're dead

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Fizzlesque

Fear not, my little rascal, you're worth more to me alive than dead :) (I wish there was a sinister grin smiley, I'd so use it right now.....)

Some of them goats are only pretending they're dead
    When the dog disembowel them, they scream for a while but they don't be getting up again:cool:

You know nothing about hunting if you think the animal suffers, if this happens then a mistake has been made. Hunters aim for a clean kill, shoot corectly and the animal is dead and knows nothing about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Rocket19

Not a great argument. It is very possible that spiders and other insects do not feel pain at all. At least not in the way we experience it. They just don't have the nervous system we do. I will say though, that this theory is still debated.

Agreed on the killing of mammals/other animals though. I suppose in some cases it is a "necessity", but I personally would find it extremely difficult to kill an animal. Obviously animals (mostly!) lack the intelligence we do, but they feel the same pain. I really have no idea how that doesn't even occur to people who hunt/kill animals. I just can't not empathise when I see an animal in pain. I take part in hunts (on horseback), but will only participate in drag hunts. A fox being ripped apart at the end doesn't heighten the fun for me. Surprising amount of hunters (riders) who would call themselves animal lovers are in favour of this "tradition". Can't comprehend it myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭GaryIrv93

Nowadays, if my first instinct is to raise a foot to stamp on an insect I pause for a second and think 'what if that was me (the insect)' and always let it go.I always try to avoid stepping on snails / slugs on foootpaths as well but I often think that they're simply asking to get stood on - just lying on the path like gobsh*tes. :D On wet days especially they're an absolute nuisance trying to avoid as there's so many of them on paths beside grassy areas.

The same would go for any animal or rodent. Instead of killing it in cold-blood, I'd give it a another chance and let it go. We'd all expect the same if we were in said rodent's position.

Luckily I've never had to euthanise a pet so far, and I would never do so lightly. It must be bloody heartbreaking to put down down furry pets such as cats and dogs. If there was any other alternative such as expensive surgery that would cure the pet I'd go for it at all costs. Personally I've never agreed with the whole idea of euthanising animals, even if the intent is good; to ease it's suffering I still see it as an unfair solution to the animal in question. Every possible effort should be made to perform life saving surgery on it or whatever other alernatives are available that can keep it both alive and in a comfortable condition. After all, we'd never in a million years put down a severly disabled baby.

Odysseus wrote: »
    You know nothing about hunting if you think the animal suffers, if this happens then a mistake has been made. Hunters aim for a clean kill, shoot corectly and the animal is dead and knows nothing about it.
    When we be after the goats with dogs, it can take a while for the quarry to perish. Their hard bastards it can take up to half a hour for the bastards to be killed from da time the dogs grab on first till the innards are on the ground.:):):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭dominiquecruz

When the dog disembowel them, they scream for a while but they don't be getting up again:cool:

:rolleyes: Big man!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

When we be after the goats with dogs, it can take a while for the quarry to perish. Their hard bastards it can take up to half a hour for the bastards to be killed from da time the dogs grab on first till the innards are on the ground.:):):)

How the fcuk were you ever granted a gun license?

Ye townies don't be knowing what craic ya be missing:D

How the fcuk were you ever granted a gun license?
    I don't have a gun, I be on the lamp. We only go after the goats with dogs when they have young kids. They be slow then, otherwise ya won't get near them.

• Advertisement

Ye townies don't be knowing what craic ya be missing:D

Monkey intelligence, apparently. Dont bother making out it's a rural thing either - I know plenty of country folk who would be disturbed by your kind of 'craic.'

Monkey intelligence, apparently. Dont bother making out it's a rural thing either - I know plenty of country folk who would be disturbed by your kind of 'craic.'
    It ain't for everybody. I ain't doing nothin wrong, it ain't against da law.:)

I don't have a gun, I be on the lamp. We only go after the goats with dogs when they have young kids. They be slow then, otherwise ya won't get near them.

Fair 'nuff. Tbh, the idea of how you go about 'hunting' goats repulses me. You seem to take genuine pleasure from watching them suffer. Maybe it should be left to the shooters.

How bow hunting is illegal yet your type isn't is astonishing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

I just release everything out the window.

Yeah, me too. Spiders, mice, puppies, everything. I'm nice like that.

(My apartment's on the second floor.)

:pac:

Is that like a joke callin him a big man cuz he hunts goats andwatches goats bein killed by dogs he's not trying to be a big man he's bein man as god intended it humans kill like
    If he sets out to control an animal and to kill a few it doesn't matter what way it's done as long as its done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,647 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Is that like a joke callin him a big man cuz he hunts goats andwatches goats bein killed by dogs he's not trying to be a big man he's bein man as god intended it humans kill like
    If he sets out to control an animal and to kill a few it doesn't matter what way it's done as long as its done

Shoot the fcuking thing if you want it dead and it'll drop on the spot.

Fair 'nuff. Tbh, the idea of how you go about 'hunting' goats repulses me. You seem to take genuine pleasure from watching them suffer. Maybe it should be left to the shooters.

I planted young forestry, 60 acres. Native trees sessile oak, pedunulate oak, ash with understorey of whitethorn, blackthorn, guelderrose. The goats ate half of it. If you worked that hard at some thing and something destroyed it you be mad as bejaysus as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Rocket19

I don't think it is, like, a joke.
    I'm sure "God" didn't intend us precious humans to intentionally kill another of 'his' creatures, purely to watch them suffer. Don't you think?
    Killing animals for food or some other necessity, I can understand. It's not the fact he's killing goats that people are disturbed by, it's the pleasure he apparently gets doing it, watching them suffer and "scream"

Is that like a joke callin him a big man cuz he hunts goats andwatches goats bein killed by dogs he's notifying to be a big man he's bein man as god intended it humans kill like

I'm not getting into a hunting debate, because it won't go anywhere, but anyone who takes pleasure in the 'disembowelment' and 'screaming' of goats is the real vermin of our society.

God intended nothing. We were hunter-gatherers way back when, because it was necessary for survival, but tell me, what use is it trying to maintain stone-age traditions in the 21st century? If you need to kill to feel like a man, there is something deficient in your psychology.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

Defenceless babies ...

EDIT: Anything with a pulse :pac:

I think it means he is physically a big man..over 6foot;)

I planted young forestry, 60 acres. Native trees sessile oak, pedunulate oak, ash with understorey of whitethorn, blackthorn, guelderrose. The goats ate half of it. If you worked that hard at some thing and something destroyed it you be mad as bejaysus as well.

Maybe, but I reckon I'd go about taking revenge in a different way. Gonna have to agree to disagree on this one. I'm not a hunter myself nor do I particularly have a problem with hunting in and of itself. And I understand that the work like you mentioned above needs to be protected etc, but there are better, easier and far more humane ways to go about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Being able to wipe them out without suffering is the main point for me. You can squash a little insect and know it won't know much about it. Killing anything bigger is harder and messier and may involve suffering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

This is Ireland. Amongst ecologists and zoologists we have a terrible reputation.

Rocket19 wrote: »
    I don't think it is, like, a joke.
    I'm sure "God" didn't intend us precious humans to intentionally kill another of 'his' creatures, purely to watch them suffer. Don't you think?
    Killing animals for food or some other necessity, I can understand. It's not the fact he's killing goats that people are disturbed by, it's the pleasure he apparently gets doing it, watching them suffer and "scream"

here here dont bring GOD into it now:eek: If there was a god then he too would be a hunter,murder,killer,rapists,thief,scum and porn star!!! As it says in the bible we are made from him;) so we have his approval to go on the rampage and kill **** now a then

• Advertisement

Odysseus wrote: »

:|
    The animal has still been killed, and killed for entertainment, whether it takes a split second or an hour for it to die. That is why it's barbaric. If someone was to murder a beloved pet of yours to amuse themselves, I doubt the fact that it died quickly would make you feel much better once it's been killed.

The animal has still been killed, and killed for entertainment, whether it takes a split second or an hour for it to die. That is why it's barbaric. If someone was to murder a beloved pet of yours to amuse themselves, I doubt the fact that it died quickly would make you feel much better once it's been killed.

please withdraw your "murder" quote:cool:

Murder is the unlawful killing, with malice aforethought, of another human not an animal. Animals cant be murdered, they can be culled or slaughtered!! I find slaughtered a better word

Rocket19 wrote: »
    Not a great argument. It is very possible that spiders and other insects do not feel pain at all. At least not in the way we experience it. They just don't have the nervous system we do. I will say though, that this theory is still debated.

Agreed on the killing of mammals/other animals though. I suppose in some cases it is a "necessity", but I personally would find it extremely difficult to kill an animal. Obviously animals (mostly!) lack the intelligence we do, but they feel the same pain. I really have no idea how that doesn't even occur to people who hunt/kill animals. I just can't not empathise when I see an animal in pain. I take part in hunts (on horseback), but will only participate in drag hunts. A fox being ripped apart at the end doesn't heighten the fun for me. Surprising amount of hunters (riders) who would call themselves animal lovers are in favour of this "tradition". Can't comprehend it myself.

Insects may not be as sophisticated as humans, but I still don't see how that should excuse squashing another living creature just because you feel like it. Insects have some form of nerves, so can most likely feel some form of pain. I find it cruel to kill ANY living thing unnecessarily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Just because longfellow finds it great "craic" to watch a goat been ripped apart for hours doesn't mean he speaks for every hunter.

People who normally have dogs have proper dogs who can humanly kill animals in seconds and doesnt have to spend half a hour trying to kill something. Anyone who does needs to invest in a new set of dogs.

I myself enjoy hunting because its a great satisfaction been able to cleanly and humanly kill an animal that I can have for dinner.

Pheasants/duck/rabbit/deer/pigeon all get eaten as with the majority of people who hunt.

People shoot foxes, grey crow and magpies as they cause damage to live stock and can drastically reduce the numbers of ground nesting birds and their young.

I tought you said it was about the suffering? What about the ones I eat? We don't hunt pets so that is a moot point.

• Advertisement
Advertisement