Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Casually killing creatures

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Violafy

Spunk84 wrote: »
    please withdraw your "murder" quote:cool:

Murder is the unlawful killing, with malice aforethought, of another human not an animal. Animals cant be murdered, they can be culled or slaughtered!! I find slaughtered a better word

I think you're being pedantic, but as a pedant myself, I shall withdraw it and change it to "kill". And nice copy and paste from wikipedia. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

God intended nothing. We were hunter-gatherers way back when, because it was necessary for survival, but tell me, what use is it trying to maintain stone-age traditions in the 21st century? If you need to kill to feel like a man, there is something deficient in your psychology.

Please show mea ny research which backs up your opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

Anything that was in danger of extinction or was a protected species. That and pets :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Spunk84

Violafy wrote: »
    I think you're being pedantic, but as a pedant myself, I shall withdraw it and change it to "kill". And nice copy and paste from wikipedia. ;)

wiki rocks!!!! slaughter is much better. Please withdraw kill and replace with slaughter:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭ItAintMeBabe

I hit a rabbit whilst driving the other night, had to pull in and cry for a good ten minutes, I felt awful. :( I have no idea how people could hunt animals like that, at the same time I'm not a vegetarian so I know its double standards to an extent. However, I think killing animals for food and killing animals for sport/fashion purposes are two very different things, the latter I wouldnt agree with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

I killed a baby mouse with a hammer this week. It didn't bother me doing it.

Last year a young fox got in the chicken coop we have, he killed a couple of chickens and maimed one very badly. Then he just cowered in the coop. I set him free and then was asked to kill the injured chicken because my brother didn't want to do it. I tried wringing its neck but didn't really succeed the first couple of times. At the end, her neck was almost severed across and she made some pitiful sounds before she died.
    I didn't feel very good after that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭micropig

I hit a rabbit whilst driving the other night, had to pull in and cry for a good ten minutes, I felt awful. :( I have no idea how people could hunt animals like that, at the same time I'm not a vegetarian so I know its double standards to an extent. However, I think killing animals for food and killing animals for sport/fashion purposes are two very different things, the latter I wouldnt agree with.

I hope you brought it home and ate it, it was the least you could do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭dominiquecruz

Odysseus wrote: »
    Please show mea ny research which backs up your opinion.

Which part? Do you think you need to kill to affirm your masculinity?

Aenaes wrote: »
    I killed a baby mouse with a hammer this week. It didn't bother me doing it.

Last year a young fox got in the chicken coop we have, he killed a couple of chickens and maimed one very badly. Then he just cowered in the coop. I set him free and then was asked to kill the injured chicken because my brother didn't want to do it. I tried wringing its neck but didn't really succeed the first couple of times. At the end, her neck was almost severed across and she made some pitiful sounds before she died.
    I didn't feel very good after that.

I doubt there was much eating on the mouse by the time you finished with him

Should have just left the chicken out that night, the fox would have come back and taken her

so you killed an animal with your car but didnt eat it? i think you just completely wrecked your self righteous post!!! You killed a rabbit on a road whilst you were operating a "dangerous tool/weapon" ( it is a term that is used in law:D for a car) and you didnt harvast the animal, so you killed an animal with a weapon and now your complaining about hunting folk. The only difference is that you didnt have licence to kill the animal and you committed a crime:pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement

I tought you said it was about the suffering? What about the ones I eat? We don't hunt pets so that is a moot point.

I have a problem with hunting for entertainment, whether the animal suffers or not. I can't comprehend or accept that the killing of an animal for entertainment is appropriate in any way. And I was making the point that a wild rabbit is just as much of an animal and probably feels as much pain as a pet rabbit would.
    What about the ones you eat? I'm a strict vegetarian, and although I personally hate the idea of killing animals for any purpose, including food, I accept that it is unfortunately part of the circle of life. Lions eat zebras etc, and humans eat cows. Although I'm staunchly opposed to all forms of battery farming and non organic farming etc. I don't really agree that slaughtering animals can ever be "humane" - but accept that animals will always be killed for meat whether I like it or not - so the main thing is that they feel as little pain as possible while being slaughtered.
    I find hunting disgusting no matter what the method of slaughter because it is killing for fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭xflyer

So violafy, you obviously don't drive a car? It's utter slaugther on a summer evening. Do you stay at home on those days or never drive a car?
    You come across as rather naive.

I for one have killed a cat, a fox, a rabbit and numerous birds just by by driving a car. I didn't stop for any of them, just shrugged my shoulders and moved on. As for insects, well it must be millions by now. Guess that makes me a mass killer.

Please come and join us in the real world.

I have no problem with killing creatures not that I do it very often. I remember on a couple of occasion coming across my cat torturing some bird. I chased him away and finished off the bird. Similarly I chased off a Magpie pecking a Sparrow which I put out of it's misery. The Magpie would have suffered a similar fate but he or she sat on the wall pouring it's spite on me.

It's part of life. I have two sons, you really see the human instinct in children. Lately they've taken against the slugs and snails in the back garden and have taken on a genocidal campaign against them. I find it amusing, mass killer that I am.

Before you condem me, remember I never kill spiders and even let blow flies escape if possible.

You cannot live without killing other creatures unneccesarily. It's life and death.

I have a problem with hunting for entertainment, whether the animal suffers or not. I can't comprehend or accept that the killing of an animal for entertainment is appropriate in any way. And I was making the point that a wild rabbit is just as much of an animal and probably feels as much pain as a pet rabbit would.
    What about the ones you eat? I'm a strict vegetarian, and although I personally hate the idea of killing animals for any purpose, including food, I accept that it is unfortunately part of the circle of life. Lions eat zebras etc, and humans eat cows. Although I'm staunchly opposed to all forms of battery farming and non organic farming etc. I don't really agree that slaughtering animals can ever be "humane" - but accept that animals will always be killed for meat whether I like it or not - so the main thing is that they feel as little pain as possible while being slaughtered.
    I find hunting disgusting no matter what the method of slaughter because it is killing for fun.

whats going to happen when the apocalypse comes and your a vegan:eek: that poor little bunny will look tasty after a few days of no food, maybe even a cup of its blood will wash down his tasty bunny head

It is also killing for food.

Also due to my mothers scumbag neighbours she has a rat problem, is it bad that I have laid down poison for them; they will die a slow death that way; but I could not discharge my shotgun in a housing estate.

Also due to my mothers scumbag neighbours she has a rat problem, is it bad that I have laid down poison for them; they will die a slow death that way; but I could not discharge my shotgun in a housing estate.

at the scumbags or the rats :pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

at the scumbags or the rats :pac::pac::pac::pac:

Whats the difference? ;)

xflyer wrote: »
    So violafy, you obviously don't drive a car? It's utter slaugther on a summer evening. Do you stay at home on those days or never drive a car?

I for one have killed a cat, a fox, a rabbit and numerous birds just by by driving a car. I didn't stop for any of them, just shrugged my shoulders and moved on. As for insects, well it must be millions by now. Guess that makes me a mass killer.

I have no problem with killing creatures not that I do it very often. I remember on a couple of occasion coming across my cat torturing some bird. I chased him away and finished off the bird. Similarly I chased off a Magpie pecking a Sparrow which I put out of it's misery. The Magpie would have suffered a similar fate but he or she sat on the wall pouring it's spite on me.

It's part of life. I have two sons, you really see the human instinct in children. Lately they've taken against the slugs and snails in the back garden and have taken on a genocidal campaign against them. I find it amusing, mass killer that I am.

Before you condem me, remember I never kill spiders and even let blow flies escape if possible.

You cannot live without killing other creatures unneccesarily. It's life and death.

Don't really see how the bit about a car is relevant to anything... Unless you purposely steered the car to knock down the animals, it was an accident, and, like my opinion on meat, it's one of those things that unfortunately just happens in life. I don't drive, but I'd be quite upset if this happened to me - fine if it didn't affect you in the same way.
    And obviously I'm not trying to deny that humans kill countless animals/insects throughout their lives. :rolleyes: I'm sure I've trodden on many snails, ants etc by mistake. I would again like to reiterate that my problem is when humans kill animals on purpose FOR THEIR OWN ENTERTAINMENT - not by accident or to put it out of agony!

"You cannot live without killing other creatures unneccesarily. It's life and death" - I'm seriously struggling to think of a time when I've ever killed a creature unnecessarily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

xflyer wrote: »

Did you actually write you seen a cat trying to kill a bird probably to eat so you chased it away and killed the bird yourself?
    You do realise the cat stays hungry and kills another bird then so two birds died instead of one because you thought you were being helpful
    Bravo mate!!!

• Advertisement

garv123 wrote: »
    Whats the difference? ;)

the human ****s himself, the rat has more composure lol

It is also killing for food.

I'm sure it's done for food some of the time. But unless I'm very much mistaken, foxes aren't eaten after hunts like these.
    http://www.foxhuntingireland.com/

whats going to happen when the apocalypse comes and your a vegan:eek: that poor little bunny will look tasty after a few days of no food, maybe even a cup of its blood will wash down his tasty bunny head

Thanks for that extremely realistic scenario. :rolleyes:

I'm sure it's done for food some of the time. But unless I'm very much mistaken, foxes aren't eaten after hunts like these.
    Thanks for that extremely realistic scenario. :rolleyes:

When the Apocalypse comes you will be the first FOX eating vegan then!

They make a great hat for Arctic conditions oh and they eat lambs

Its done for food most of the time...

Foxes are shot to protect farmers livestock such as lambs and chickens which foxes will kill..
    They also kill ground nesting birds who have eggs and raising young. The numbers of these birds are low compared to foxes who have no natural predators.

• Advertisement

Foxes are shot to protect farmers livestock such as lambs and chickens which foxes will kill..
    They also kill ground nesting birds who have eggs and raising young. The numbers of these birds are low compared to foxes who have no natural predators.

Maybe, but how do you excuse the fact that the website I posted are offering "fox hunting packages" for tourists? They're making money out of cruelty!

Ahhhh Garv stop telling her lies!!! Violafy we shoot **** because it FUN, FUN,FUN AND FUN!!!!! i said it, its all down hill from now one:pac::pac::pac::pac:

Maybe, but how do you excuse the fact that the website I posted are offering "fox hunting packages" for tourists? They're making money out of cruelty!

they offer the same packages in Amsterdam but take out FOX and insert PUSSSY, its cruel but it does end with me slaughtering some poor midget in a spiderman costume:o

Ahhhh Garv stop telling her lies!!! Violafy we shoot **** because it FUN, FUN,FUN AND FUN!!!!! i said it, its all down hill from now one:pac::pac::pac::pac:

Its more fun to aim for the back shoulder than the front shoulder too so we get to watch them die and dance around our camp fires like the barbarians we are:D

Its more fun to aim for the back shoulder than the front shoulder too so we get to watch them die and dance around our camp fires like the barbarians we are:D

We'll sit here on the leather seats of our 4x4, before going home to sit on our suede couches, beside the sheepskin rug, wearing our leather boots judging you

• Advertisement

I enjoy doing it tho I get frustrated for whatever reason I miss something but when I hit something like pigeon a good bit away the hand kinda tenses and very distinctive 'YES' flies out the mouth
    So yeah I do enjoy it
    Take that vegans :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

If it annoys me it gets killed. It's not casual though, it's with a rage infused focus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

I wish I could say I was surprised at how this thread has turned out. :(

Ahhhh Garv stop telling her lies!!! Violafy we shoot **** because it FUN, FUN,FUN AND FUN!!!!! i said it, its all down hill from now one :pac: :pac:

I'm presuming neither of you can find an actual justification for hunting purely for fun, if you've started resorting to this! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

What makes me laugh is that these goofy bastards actually call themselves 'hunters'.

Yep. Top of the food chain humans with high powered rifles and/or packs of dogs shoots at an animal from hundreds of feet away and/or watches it being torn to shreds by a pack of dogs and they like to think of themselves as hunters.

Fucking mad.

I'm presuming neither of you can find an actual justification for hunting purely for fun, if you've started resorting to this! :rolleyes:

If you read my posts i stated clearly why i hunt but your just choosing to ignore my reasons.

And yes I do get enjoyment and satisfaction out of been able to shoot and kill my own food.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

I don't kill insects if i see them in my house. They're doing no harm and don't deserve to die.

If you don't like someone, you don't beat them everytime you see them. People just kill insects they don't like because they're defenceless.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Rocket19

here here dont bring GOD into it now:eek: If there was a god then he too would be a hunter,murder,killer,rapists,thief,scum and porn star!!! As it says in the bible we are made from him;) so we have his approval to go on the rampage and kill **** now a then

I don't believe in God, I was responding to a poster who perceives killing animals for jollies as something "god intended".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

jokettle wrote: »
    Spiders and insects invading my home deserve to be killed.

Mice or rats that invade my home....ideally I'd trap them humanely and release them, but if they're in my kitchen, bedroom or catch me by surprise, then they're getting smushed. This is my house, they can get their own.

Humans that invade my home / country.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭bhovaspack

I fully understand the fun of the kill.

Read a bit about the torturers during dictatorships in South America and elsewhere. Apply electric cattle prods to a guy's testicles. Just because he's there. Just because I can. Just so I can feel the ebb and flow of the juice in my own shriveled testes. Manly men. Dialing into the kill-drive, just like mother godhead intended.

Get those juices flowing, baby. Right down in my plums.

Fun. Oh yeah.

• Advertisement

If you read my posts i stated clearly why i hunt but your just choosing to ignore my reasons.

And yes I do get enjoyment and satisfaction out of been able to shoot and kill my own food.

Fair enough - you kill them for food. Even though I don't technically agree with that, at least you had a purpose. And I hadn't seen that post of yours until now, as it was posted before I got involved in the discussion.
    What I meant was that it's a fact that SOME hunters do kill purely for entertainment, with no intention of eating what they kill, and I've yet to find anybody who can justify this to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,679 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I wouldn't shoot anything myself but I think it's a good thing to control some vermin like grey crows which would peck the eyes out of animals like sheep.
    But there are 2 sides to it and I remember some of the farmers around here used to trap the foxes in snares which I didn't agree with.
    Most people who shoot will know what they are doing and the animal will be dead before it hits the ground.
    These hunts on horseback seem to be getting very popular as well.
    I don't know if they catch anything though but they do loose some of their dogs as we would see a few wandering around the place for a few days afterwards. Any farmer that sees them gives them a bullet as they may attack livestock.

I
    But there are 2 sides to it and I remember some of the farmers around here used to trap the foxes in snares which I didn't agree with.

Snares by law in Ireland now must have stops on them to stop the animal choking themselves so they can be humanely dispatched.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,679 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Snares by law in Ireland now must have stops on them to stop the animal choking themselves so they can be humanely dispatched.

I remember them doing it when I was a kid. I think back then the pelt or maybe the tail was worth something. So alot of people were at it.

I remember them doing it when I was a kid. I think back then the pelt or maybe the tail was worth something. So alot of people were at it.

back about 20 or more years ago there was a bounty on foxes and lads were making more than they earned working in a week in a nights shooting foxes.
    All you needed was the tail

What makes me laugh is that these goofy bastards actually call themselves 'hunters'.

Yep. Top of the food chain humans with high powered rifles and/or packs of dogs shoots at an animal from hundreds of feet away and/or watches it being torn to shreds by a pack of dogs and they like to think of themselves as hunters.

Fucking mad.
    Dogs have been used to hunt since they were domesticated from wolves
    Before dogs and even havin dogs humans used spears and rocks
    Then progressed to bows and arrows also still using dogs then as time went by eventually guns came about and we still use dogs and a pack of dogs do same as wolves basically bleed the animal to death or eat alive
    Humans hunt with rifles now as its the time we live in so can you tell me
    What is a hunter? We are just modern day hunters now
    I still hunt with ferrets and a dog and that's ancient method
    So A-hole tell me or shut that hole you call a mouth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Cocolola

I might regret this but sure what the heck :D

This post is going to be dedicated to the killing of foxes.

Firstly in relation to them being accused of killing lambs and chickens etc. I believe that if nature was left to her own devices, there wouldn't be a problem with this. Foxes naturally eat rats and rabbits (as well as many other things obviously) and will stick to these if they're available. If you go ratting and shooting rabbits, you're removing a valuable source of food from them. They are then of course going to have to find it from somewhere else, leading them to prey on livestock.

They are also often accused of killing more than they need but if they are left uninterrupted they will usually take every carcass with them and bury them to eat in the future.

Secondly, I don't agree that they need their populations to be controlled. Again, nature would balance everything all out (as it does with thousands of other species in many different habitats). Any area naturally would have a certain amount of foxes but there will only be as many as a habitat can support. There are constraints on food, mates, territory etc. Left well alone, a couple of foxes will go about their lives bothering nobody. They will keep the rat population in control and will not need to take farm animals for food. They will coexist peacefully with us for the most part.

If these original foxes are killed, there is a gap opened up for outsider or even rogue foxes to come in and take over the territory. These are foxes who probably wouldn't have survived naturally as there wouldn't have been any territory for them to acquire. They might settle quietly or they may prey on livestock. These new foxes are then killed, more move in and so on. Hunting the foxes is just creating a constant cycle of them coming back.

I dunno. To me it's baffling. I see it like this:

"Kill all the rats, they're vermin!"
    "Shoot rabbits, they're vermin!"
    "Damn foxes are now killing our hens and lambs, kill all the foxes!"
    "Foxes are a threat to ground nesting birds, hunters are friends to birds, kill the foxes."
    "Oh look at all these dumb, defenceless pheasants I reared, I'm going to release them and shoot them now."
    "Foxes are killing my pheasants that I was going to kill myself, kill the foxes!"

What is a hunter? We are just modern day hunters now
    I still hunt with ferrets and a dog and that's ancient method
    So A-hole tell me or shut that hole you call a mouth

People like you calling yourselves hunters does a disservice to animals that actually do hunt as a matter of life and death.

Here's a little game for you. Three of these creatures are real hunters and one is an idiot with a lethal weapon.

Number 1.

Number 2.

Number 3.

Number 4.

If you have trouble figuring it out then maybe you can get someone to help you with it.

Are you sayin humans are not real hunters?
    Find it hard to believe that we have been on earth all this time without bein decent hunters
    Animals hunt to survive fair enough
    Humans farmed animals and no produce more through breeding tho some like myself still hunt but instead of spears we use guns and some cases bow and arrows because we evolved and so did weapons!!
    Maybe thousands of years ago we hunted cabbage and lettuce with not a spear but a very large salad fork

• Advertisement

Are you sayin humans are not real hunters?

The only thing even close to a human really hunting is when two snipers are hunting each other on the battle field.

Somehow I can't imagine too many goofballs who like to shoot small animals with high powered weapons being all that interested if it meant that their lives or well-being was in danger.

Advertisement