Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Casually killing creatures

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

jokettle wrote: »
    Spiders and insects invading my home deserve to be killed.

Mice or rats that invade my home....ideally I'd trap them humanely and release them, but if they're in my kitchen, bedroom or catch me by surprise, then they're getting smushed. This is my house, they can get their own.
    ?
    I would leave the spiders and kill the rats.

Spiders will get rid of other bugs, what good are rats?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,647 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

The only thing even close to a human really hunting is when two snipers are hunting each other on the battle field.

Somehow I can't imagine too many goofballs who like to shoot small animals with high powered weapons being all that interested if it meant that their lives or well-being was in danger.

Perhaps stabbing the animal with a pointy stick through the eye socket would satisfy you more than a clean shot with a firearm. You seem to favour the more rustic methods of hunting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Blay wrote: »
    Perhaps stabbing the animal with a pointy stick through the eye socket would satisfy you more than a clean shot with a firearm. You seem to favour the more rustic methods of hunting.
    That's not what I get from his posts at all. Those animals (and some humans) hunt to survive. Taking potshots at a rabbit or fox for the laugh isn't hunting. I have no problem with animals being for food or if unfortunately a cull is needed. But I'd have little time for anyone who kills for fun and even less for fox killing with dogs. The whole vermin and think of the poor farmers stuff is bullshit too. The only vermin problems my uncle had on his farm were the fox hunters trespassing and damaging his fields and the shooters leaving their spent shotgun cartridges all over the place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

I just release everything out the window.

For some reason I have an image of you living near the top of a high rise building now, chucking animals out the window to their death. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

You seem to favour the more rustic methods of hunting.

Whatever gave you that impression? Poor reading comprehension perhaps?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

I have little time for anyone who kills a living thing if they have no intention of eating it afterward.

I'm on the fence when it comes to hunting though, once there's no suffering and it's not for the craic I suppose it's fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,647 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

You seem to have an issue with the use of firearms for hunting. Try to stay polite now;)
    Adyx wrote: »
    The only vermin problems my uncle had on his farm were the fox hunters trespassing and damaging his fields and the shooters leaving their spent shotgun cartridges all over the place.

In fairness your uncle is not the only farmer in the country, a farmer could lose hundreds in one night to a fox.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

You seem to have an issue with the use of firearms for hunting.

I have an issue with that past time being described as 'hunting' - it does a disservice to real hunting animals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I once dug up a flower bed and it took twice as long because I had to transport the dug up worms to another section of the garden so I didn't accidentally get them with the fork. Probably looked a right plonker to the neighbours.

I try not to kill anything with the exception of bloodsucking insects, in particular mosquitoes when abroad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

I have an issue with that past time being described as 'hunting' - it does a disservice to real hunting animals.
    Tracksuit wearing delinquent goes out killing animals for fun with hurley = psychopath.
    Same person puts on fatigues and carries a shotgun = hunter. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

My mam killed a gecko that came into the house last week in France saying it was "him or me". I was horrified!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

What makes me laugh is that these goofy bastards actually call themselves 'hunters'.
    People like you calling yourselves hunters does a disservice to animals that actually do hunt as a matter of life and death.

Here's a little game for you. Three of these creatures are real hunters and one is an idiot with a lethal weapon.

Number 1.

Number 2.

Number 3.

Number 4.

If you have trouble figuring it out then maybe you can get someone to help you with it.
    The only thing even close to a human really hunting is when two snipers are hunting each other on the battle field.

Somehow I can't imagine too many goofballs who like to shoot small animals with high powered weapons being all that interested if it meant that their lives or well-being was in danger.

mod:

Banned.

Less of the personal crap please. Please report any posts which cross the line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

I try not to kill anything really, but flies sometimes test my patience to breaking point and i let them have the business end of a newspaper, i'm a cold mother fúcker like that:cool:
    In fact I have a name for being a bit of an oddball here in work cos i go round and transport the snails out of the middle of the yard to somewhere safer so they don't get squashed by trucks coming and going. I feel bad if i just leave them to die, even though i haven't actually squashed them!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 181 ✭✭Dr.Strange

I don't kill anything anymore, even wasps.

I'd lay traps if there was a rat in the house all the same.

I make it a point to tell my kids not to needlessly kill insects like Woodlice and small spiders.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

I have a rule, if it's large enough to have sex with I won't kill it.
    Make love not war baby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Anything with more than four legs has to go*

*out the window.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Ciaran0

I like life and all that, so I try to let most things live. Except spiders, they're the devils work!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

Ciaran0 wrote: »
    I like life and all that, so I try to let most things live. Except spiders, they're the devils work!

spiders are cool.... they help control the fly populations

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Jimmyhologram

Dogs have been used to hunt since they were domesticated from wolves
    Before dogs and even havin dogs humans used spears and rocks
    Then progressed to bows and arrows also still using dogs then as time went by eventually guns came about and we still use dogs and a pack of dogs do same as wolves basically bleed the animal to death or eat alive
    Humans hunt with rifles now as its the time we live in so can you tell me
    What is a hunter? We are just modern day hunters now
    I still hunt with ferrets and a dog and that's ancient method
    So A-hole tell me or shut that hole you call a mouth

It's a pity your arguments are not as sharp as your flint spear, oh hunter gatherer.

Slaves were kept in Ancient Greece, perhaps the cradle of our civilization.

All through human history slaves have been kept, though most societies now recognize the practice as unethical and barbaric.

Hunting and slavery are clearly not the same thing, but my point is that it is not beyond the ken of the human race to get over itself from time to time.

If you want to hunt, by all means hunt, but citing "ancient tradition" is a dishonest way to justify it.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Ciaran0

spiders are cool.... they help control the fly populations

Yeah your right I suppose. I generally don't mind them if they're tucked away in a corner or just quite small, but the big ones........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I'd have no problem killing insects or vermin in my house. If they're out in nature they can do what they like but once they make it into my house they're disease ridden enemies that anyone should be prepared to kill.

Overall I have no problem with humans killing other animals as long as every effort is made to reduce suffering and that the killer has respect for the animal. Living things kill other living things it's just the way things are, we can't avoid that fact.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

I would never kill a mouse or rat, I always use the humane traps if I have one in the house.. and then set them free in the nearest field.

Flies I always use fly spray on but I always swat them with something once they've been disabled.. I hate seeing them writhing around in pain :( I'd always put them out of their misery if I can.

Wasps are the only things that I don't feel guilty about killing.. They'd kill me and my whole entire family if they got the chance.

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Plumpynutt

I can't harm anything, I stood on a snail once and was wracked with guilt. I release everything back outside no matter what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 paracelsso

if I see a mosquito, I need to kill him to be tranquil

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Deus Ex Machina

Violafy wrote: »
    My unchangeable opinion is that anyone who kills animals for fun is completely barbaric - absolutely no excuse for it. I couldn't care less if it's a "tradition" that some people seem to want to maintain - tradition becomes invalid when it allows either humans or other animals to suffer.

I understand that people may be more emotionally attached to dogs than insects, but I'd never harm either, and find it a bit hypocritical when those who get outraged about the fur trade etc think nothing of squashing any spiders they find in their house.

You wouldn't make a very good gangster or warrior. What's up with you man, would you ever man up? It's perfectly normal, perfectly au naturale, to want to taste one's enemies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I hit a rabbit with my car two days ago and I feel really bad about it. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Its harder to kill mammals.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Novella wrote: »
    I hit a rabbit with my car two days ago and I feel really bad about it. :(
    You monster. You've probably left a load of crying rabbit orphans wondering where mammy has gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

pragmatic1 wrote: »
    You monster. You've probably left a load of crying rabbit orphans wondering where mammy has gone.

they were probably eaten by a golden eagle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Well humans have hunted and killed animals for thousands of years and used different methods to do it now we just use more modern ways to do it using weapons that cause least amount of suffering were as I'm sure using bows and arrows or spears caused a lot of stress and animals suffered more
    We hunt now to still eat like I'd rather go shoot a healthy rabbit in the wild than buy a farmed one
    But we shoot animals to control them aswell
    Do you realise the damage rabbits can do to farmers crops eating the young plants therefore need to be controlled for the sake of the farmers lively hood
    Foxes are good to have around to a certain extent. They kill rats and rabbits and mice and some farmers like having them around but farmers with livestock ie young lambs and chickens ducks or geese will be a problem as whether there is a healthy population of rabbits and rats a healthy fox will rather a chicken duck or young lamb to any rabbit and will kill every two nights ( every night if it has cubs) and will keep taking food if it's there and it's easy therefore taking money from the farmer and needs to be controlled

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,679 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

xzanti wrote: »
    I would never kill a mouse or rat, I always use the humane traps if I have one in the house.. and then set them free in the nearest field.

Flies I always use fly spray on but I always swat them with something once they've been disabled.. I hate seeing them writhing around in pain :( I'd always put them out of their misery if I can.

Wasps are the only things that I don't feel guilty about killing.. They'd kill me and my whole entire family if they got the chance.

:pac:

Wasps are actually very good as they kill lots of flies. If a fly comes into the house he is dead but I let the wasps out the window.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

I hunt because i enjoy it, i eat alot of what i shoot so does my dog and my kids try a bit now and again, the granny always takes a few rabbits or duck ect. Ill shoot anything legal and in season. Would not want an animal to suffer and always aim for the cleanest possible kill. I dont need to hunt for food, i enjoy it end of. Fist hunted properly when i was about 12, snaring rabbits and shooting an air rifle and hope my young lad will get as much enjoyment as i have when he is a bit older

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

i do hope that none of us on here would kill the bees, these creatures are our source of natural pollination of flowers, they provide us with honey which has antibiotic properties, i always buy local honey, i would love to have a bee hive, but family are frightened of having one near our home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

I would kill a spider, fly or butterfly or any insect for that matter without any guilt. If it was a bigger like a rodent i would feel a small bit of guilt...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

goat2 wrote: »
    i do hope that none of us on here would kill the bees, these creatures are our source of natural pollination of flowers, they provide us with honey which has antibiotic properties, i always buy local honey, i would love to have a bee hive, but family are frightened of having one near our home.

I kill bees all the time.
    Honey is vile.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Cocolola wrote: »
    Firstly in relation to them being accused of killing lambs and chickens etc. I believe that if nature was left to her own devices, there wouldn't be a problem with this. Foxes naturally eat rats and rabbits (as well as many other things obviously) and will stick to these if they're available. If you go ratting and shooting rabbits, you're removing a valuable source of food from them. They are then of course going to have to find it from somewhere else, leading them to prey on livestock.

Long story short, you're wrong :) Here's why...

Farming. This isn't nature left to it's own devices. It's here to stay.

No one "rats" around my area, lambs are still killed by foxes, in fact this Spring has been one of the worst we've seen for it. In one part of land which is "infested", I use the word to describe the size of the rabbit population, which is in and surrounded by sheep farms lambs are still killed and taken by foxes. In fact, of all the area I shoot in it's actually one of the poorest areas for seeing foxes in any number.

Foxes are opportunistic hunters, they kill and eat what they get handy. Doesn't matter to a fox whether that's a crab in the shore, calf nuts, blackberries, lambs, rabbits, or carrion. An old or injured fox is the most dangerous fox to lambs, lambs are dumb, it's not their fault it's just their nature, so they're easy prey.
    Left well alone, a couple of foxes will go about their lives bothering nobody. They will keep the rat population in control and will not need to take farm animals for food. They will coexist peacefully with us for the most part.

Pie in the sky stuff. I can't see your location as I'm typing this reply but if you live in the countryside, buy a few hens.
    If these original foxes are killed, there is a gap opened up for outsider or even rogue foxes to come in and take over the territory. These are foxes who probably wouldn't have survived naturally as there wouldn't have been any territory for them to acquire. They might settle quietly or they may prey on livestock. These new foxes are then killed, more move in and so on. Hunting the foxes is just creating a constant cycle of them coming back.

So, let me get this straight, outside foxes are more prone to killing livestock but local foxes are more peaceful and docile. Righttttttttttttttttttttt....................
    "Kill all the rats, they're vermin!"

They are, and it's better than living with them.
    "Shoot rabbits, they're vermin!"

They are, they destroy farmland, eat all the grass and are a danger to larger, heavier stock like horses and cattle.
    "Damn foxes are now killing our hens and lambs, kill all the foxes!"

No, they will kill lambs as well as eat the first two. Agree with the second half of the sentence though.
    "Foxes are a threat to ground nesting birds, hunters are friends to birds, kill the foxes."

The NPWS agree with you too, well done!
    "Oh look at all these dumb, defenceless pheasants I reared, I'm going to release them and shoot them now."
    "Foxes are killing my pheasants that I was going to kill myself, kill the foxes!"

Now you're getting into the spirit of it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,679 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

There are a lot of deer around here and the farmers let the hunters onto their land to shoot the deer and they get some of the meat in return. It's a win win situation and everyone is happy. There are alot of wild goats as well, one fella has massive horns, I'm surprised noone has taken him down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

Any animal I can either kill or knock out with one punch. Too much of a waste of energy otherwise.

It's hard to have a fist-fight with a butterfly and maintain your dignity, though.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Anything whose life's purpose is to suck my blood, **** in my food or otherwise piss me off, I have no qualms about killing. I tend not to kill anything else deliberately but I won't cry if I stand on an ant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

If a fly is in my room I have to kill it. I've tried reasoning with those pricks from an early age. We could have even been friends if it wasn't for midges in the summer ruining everything. If you don't understand you've clearly never dealt with them while playing hurling or any pitch-based activities. For that alone I will hunt those bastards down.

And before you ask I always try and get them out the window but it never works.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

The only creatures I would have no problem killing are flies or rodents like rats as they both carry disease and they're pests. Spiders I simply catch with my trusty spider catcher and release them outside.

I have a big fear of spiders but I recognise that they do a good job in trapping and eating midges, crane flies, moths and so on so it's not a good idea to kill them anyway as they have a place in nature and perform a function which happens to benefit humans also.

When I'm in a position to have farm animals like chickens, geese and pigs I'll be confronted with how I feel about killing them for food and I hope I'll be able to overcome my aversion to killing living things. I figure as I eat meat I should really own that choice and do the butchering myself (obviously not the pigs as that's be against regulations anyway) but the chickens and geese. I think it'll give me a greater appreciation of and respect for the life of the creature that ends up in the pot than buying one prepared and ready wrapped from a supermarket.

There are alot of wild goats as well, one fella has massive horns, I'm surprised noone has taken him down.

Let them be I say. We only have around 5000 wild goats in Ireland and they've been a part of our landscape since Neolithic times-around 4000 years ago. Unless they're found in high concentrations and are damaging commercial forestry land or destroying farmers land or walls I don't see why they shouldn't be left alone.

And they can have benefits to attracting tourism in some areas as well conservational grazing in some grassland areas.

Greentopia wrote: »
    There are alot of wild goats as well, one fella has massive horns, I'm surprised noone has taken him down.

Let them be I say. We only have around 5000 wild goats in Ireland and they've been a part of our landscape since Neolithic times-around 4000 years ago. Unless they're found in high concentrations and are damaging commercial forestry land or destroying farmers land or walls I don't see why they shouldn't be left alone.

And they can have benefits to attracting tourism in some areas as well conservational grazing in some grassland areas.
    Proper managment By hunters will insure the heards stay strong and healthy. We went out and could of shot plenty more than we did but we only toom what we had use for and that hears wont be touched till well after the summer i reckon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

Would the hunters on here please just be honest and say it as it is. You kill animals for entertainment.
    Just spare us the fig leaves you hide behind, ie you need to hunt to feed your family, you do it out of a sense of civic duty in order to rid the country of vermin, blah de blah.
    Honestly, we'll respect you more for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

loobylou wrote: »
    Would the hunters on here please just be honest and say it as it is. You kill animals for entertainment.
    Just spare us the fig leaves you hide behind, ie you need to hunt to feed your family, you do it out of a sense of civic duty in order to rid the country of vermin, blah de blah.

No we dont need to hunt to feed our families, we could live off the cows and chickens if we wanted to, but why is it ok to eat them and not animals we hunt?

And we all said already we enjoy it so no ones denying that.

loobylou wrote: »
    Did i not say above that i enjoy it? :confused:

Pretty sure a few other did too! Bottom line is we wouldnt spend a small fortune to do it if we didnt enjoy it BUT thats not the only reason

Proper managment By hunters will insure the heards stay strong and healthy. We went out and could of shot plenty more than we did but we only toom what we had use for and that hears wont be touched till well after the summer i reckon

Plenty more what? I'm talking about goats.
    If the goat herds are found within national parks they're already actively managed and conserved.

For those found outside them culling should only be done in an organised fashion nationally so over-culling doesn't occur. Individual hunters operating outside that remit should not take it upon themselves to control numbers as they don't have the knowledge and necessary information to know when and where to cull.

garv123 wrote: »
    No we dont need to hunt to feed our families, we could live off the cows and chickens if we wanted to, but why is it ok to eat them and not animals we hunt?

And we all said already we enjoy it so no ones denying that.

Personally I don't think enjoying hunting is good enough reason to kill something. If it's done for food and the species numbers are viable enough that hunting doesn't endanger their numbers, and of course unless the species is protected by law from hunting, then I'd have less of a issue with it.

If animals are being hunted and then the carcasses are just being thrown away then that is unethical behaviour as far as I'm concerned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Personally I don't think enjoying hunting is good enough reason to kill something. If it's done for food and the species numbers are viable enough that hunting doesn't endanger their numbers, and of course unless the species is protected by law from hunting, then I'd have less of a issue with it.

If animals are being hunted and then the carcasses are just being thrown away then that is unethical behaviour as far as I'm concerned.

I enjoy going out shooting pheasants within their season and a bird never goes to waste, same goes for deer, duck and other animals.
    I also enjoy eating them because they taste way better than any meet you'll buy in the shop and the animals live better lives too.

The only ones that aren't eaten are foxes, grey crow and magpies, shooting these will protect birds whose numbers are quiet low and allow their numbers to grow

Plenty more what? I'm talking about goats.
    If the goat herds are found within national parks they're already actively managed and conserved.

For those found outside them culling should only be done in an organised fashion nationally so over-culling doesn't occur. Individual hunters operating outside that remit should not take it upon themselves to control numbers as they don't have the knowledge and necessary information to know when and where to cull.
    you actually have no clue what your talking about, lads have their ground they hunt and most of them spend more time there not hunting, they know the heard they hunt down to individuals and alot of the time know which animal they are going out to shoot. Im talking about goats and deer now

• Advertisement
Advertisement