Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Casually killing creatures

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,679 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Longfellow wrote: »
    I ruthlessly hunt or get people to hunt any non-native animal that crosses my path (all legally) on my land. Sika/hybrid, wild goat, pheasants, grey squirrel, rabbits, rats and mink. They all have to die.

The mink is the only non native animal I see on your list of animals that have to die. Sika deer were imported into the country but it was 100s of years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 152 ✭✭whiteley91

I wouldnt say i was casual doung this, my heart was pounding! Its the most foxes iv seen together at once. I was delighted with my shootin and that they were all clean but not as happy as the farmer who owns the 150 lambs in the field and the big chicken coop in the next field
    1c9def8b.jpg

Nice shooting! Just a pity some people are keyboard warriors and don't try see things from our point of view? Trying to help out the farmers and enjoying our love for the countryside! Lovely set up by the way.
    The way i see it is if i feel some evening like having a rabbit meal i will head out for a walk and see if there any about, but whats the difference in me going out for a walk and hunting than someone getting a craving for a chicken curry or something and getting into there car and ordering from the local Chinese. There eating a chicken that was killed for there consumption. Im killing a rabbit for my consumption and preventing crops from being damaged..

Just my two cents tho!

I've no issue with people who shoot, it's a free country. My father was a gun owner and I've used a gun myself, just at targets though as personally I wouldn't like to shoot an animal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

Spread wrote: »
    As a carnivore but animal lover, I'm amazed at the amount of wanton destruction aimed at wild animals here. Deer, Moose, Bear, Coyotes, Turkeys and Geese have seasons but all else is fair game whenever (pun intended). Squirrels, Chipmunks, Possum, Raccoon, Porcupine and all little critters run the gauntlet. Only an Eagle is safe all year. I have a young fellow helping with odd jobs at the moment and his ambition is to own a "special" gun next year. Cost? Over $2k. And this fellow is only 14!
    Gotta love america :) what gun is he getting??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

I like to catch daddy long legs and pull his legs off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,924 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Spread wrote: »
    As a carnivore but animal lover, I'm amazed at the amount of wanton destruction aimed at wild animals here. Deer, Moose, Bear, Coyotes, Turkeys and Geese have seasons but all else is fair game whenever (pun intended). Squirrels, Chipmunks, Possum, Raccoon, Porcupine and all little critters run the gauntlet. Only an Eagle is safe all year. I have a young fellow helping with odd jobs at the moment and his ambition is to own a "special" gun next year. Cost? Over $2k. And this fellow is only 14!

There was a superb documentary about a team of researchers who were studying bears in America. They were fitting radio collars to track their movements & they put up notices virtually begging the hunters not to shoot a collared bear. Needless to say one of the radio tracks stopped moving & they found the collar where the bear had been shot.

The brave "hunter" had put down a lump of meat & then climbed a tree. He wasn't going to miss with a high powered rifle complete with telescopic sight, at close range. Some sport :rolleyes:
    Gotta love america smile.gif what gun is he getting??

8,000 Gun murders in 2010.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Ah yeah,,Americans and guns...a perfect match indeed.:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIpLd0WQKCY

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

I wouldnt say i was casual doung this, my heart was pounding! Its the most foxes iv seen together at once. I was delighted with my shootin and that they were all clean but not as happy as the farmer who owns the 150 lambs in the field and the big chicken coop in the next field
    1c9def8b.jpg

Why did you line the corpses up in order of size, place your gun next to them, and then take a photograph?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Longfellow

The mink is the only non native animal I see on your list of animals that have to die. Sika deer were imported into the country but it was 100s of years ago.
    Removing rats and rabbits would be like harmful to da wildlife, since alot of predators survive on them. The rest are bad vermin and da country would be better off with them gone.
    Sika deer have caused the extinction of red deer in wicklow. Da overshootin of red deer and reduced numbers caused them to breed with da sika. Sika destroy young forestry and inhibit regeneration of native woodland and destroy understorey vegetation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Removing rats and rabbits would be like harmful to da wildlife, since alot of predators survive on them. The rest are bad vermin and da country would be better off with them gone.
    Sika deer have caused the extinction of red deer in wicklow. Da overshootin of red deer and reduced numbers caused them to breed with da sika. Sika destroy young forestry and inhibit regeneration of native woodland and destroy understorey vegetation

I would love to pinpoint were the Irish started believing that. Some people in our past classified some animals as vermin as a justification for ridding the country of them. Abroad and in zoological circles Ireland has a terrible rep towards its wildlife. I really dont understand the psychology of someone who thinks that wildlife are there to get in the way. That attitude has been the cause of our golden eagle poisonings, the extinction of the wolf (which kept deer numbers down) and the destruction of a number of other birds of prey (who actually keep crow numbers down but try explaining that to the sub humans poisoning them).

Vermin by the way isnt a scientific term. Its like astrology or alchemy in that its now defunct. It was a term used to justify the eradication of various animals. Technically we are vermin.

• Advertisement

Discodog wrote: »
    There was a superb documentary about a team of researchers who were studying bears in America. They were fitting radio collars to track their movements & they put up notices virtually begging the hunters not to shoot a collared bear. Needless to say one of the radio tracks stopped moving & they found the collar where the bear had been shot.

The brave "hunter" had put down a lump of meat & then climbed a tree. He wasn't going to miss with a high powered rifle complete with telescopic sight, at close range. Some sport :rolleyes:

8,000 Gun murders in 2010.

Dr. Lynn rogers of minnesota I believe? I had the pleasure of meeting him at a conference in washington. The "hunter" in question was a coward lets face it but unfortunatly the shooting of radio tagged bears isnt illegal yet. I know however that Dr.rogers is campaigning for it and the "hunter in question had his hunting license revoked due to "outside pressures". ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Im a bit disturbed by the lack of compassion for animals or birds. Some "hunters" claiming they are doing it for sport or justifying it because they eat what they kill. Bull****. Its is unnecessary slaughter. It is not for survival. I eat plenty of meat and chicken but it is killed due to demand. These gun nuts have issues. Its different yet nonetheless distressing for the farmers who can argue that pests must be controlled.

Is it normal for you to spout out so much hypocritical shite

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Dr. Lynn rogers of minnesota I believe? I had the pleasure of meeting him at a conference in washington. The "hunter" in question was a coward lets face it but unfortunatly the shooting of radio tagged bears isnt illegal yet. I know however that Dr.rogers is campaigning for it and the "hunter in question had his hunting license revoked due to "outside pressures". ;)

I have seen shooters use the same method with Deer. Build a hide in a tree & then scatter feed below it. Dr Lynn came across a an absolute gentleman & showed remarkable restraint. He seemed relieved that the hunter left the collar - implying that some didn't.
    I would love to pinpoint were the Irish started believing that. Some people in our past classified some animals as vermin as a justification for ridding the country of them.

I agree. Vermin is basically any creature that isn't listed as protected. We did it the wrong way in that we made lists of protected species & anything else could be killed. Instead we should of made a specific list of the species that could be killed so that the rest were protected.

During the War & in hard times, rabbit breeding was encouraged as a food source. Now the rabbit is seen as a pest. The unnecessary Badger culls show the primitive way that we handle wildlife issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

The only animals I would kill are spiders... And I am ashamed of that. It's not rational, it's a really ridiculous phobia, but despite attempts, I haven't been able to get rid of it yet. So if I find a spider inside the house, I usually kill it with a spray. I cannot get close enough to them for anything else.
    Outside, they are free to do whatever they want, I don't mind.

Other than that, I don't kill any animals. I'm vegetarian.
    I don't have a general problem with people killing animals for food, but I do find the amount of people here who seem to enjoy killing for sport rather disturbing.

I would love to pinpoint were the Irish started believing that. Some people in our past classified some animals as vermin as a justification for ridding the country of them. Abroad and in zoological circles Ireland has a terrible rep towards its wildlife. I really dont understand the psychology of someone who thinks that wildlife are there to get in the way. That attitude has been the cause of our golden eagle poisonings, the extinction of the wolf (which kept deer numbers down) and the destruction of a number of other birds of prey (who actually keep crow numbers down but try explaining that to the sub humans poisoning them).

Vermin by the way isnt a scientific term. Its like astrology or alchemy in that its now defunct. It was a term used to justify the eradication of various animals. Technically we are vermin.
    All the beasts I mentioned are not native so that's why I consider them vermin. They all do damage to native animals.

The killin to extinction of wolf and golden eagle was wrong. Those critters are native and were an integral part of the countries ecosystem. Anybody who poison/shoots da reintroduced eagles, red kite are spastics and deserve to be shot

whiteley91 wrote: »
    Nice shooting! Just a pity some people are keyboard warriors and don't try see things from our point of view? Trying to help out the farmers and enjoying our love for the countryside! Lovely set up by the way.
    The way i see it is if i feel some evening like having a rabbit meal i will head out for a walk and see if there any about, but whats the difference in me going out for a walk and hunting than someone getting a craving for a chicken curry or something and getting into there car and ordering from the local Chinese. There eating a chicken that was killed for there consumption. Im killing a rabbit for my consumption and preventing crops from being damaged..

Just my two cents tho!

You see theres a difference between responsible hunting and some of the stuff I see on here. Try to see it the hunters way? I have worked with hunters in conservation and they have been excellent wildlife observers but theres responsible hunting and then theres "The rest are bad vermin and da country would be better off with them gone".

I dont want to see the point of view of an attitude that has caused Norway's ambassador to beg us to stop killing the golden eagles Norway has sent us. Nothing justifies the attitude to wildlife some people have. I have seen numerous hunters here complain about the poaching problem in Ireland and then the same "hunters" (or poachers) say that they wouldnt have a problem killing endangered species or giving brides to officials in Africa.

Its not anti hunters that create problems for hunters in this country its hunters themselves with their "wildlife" is a nuisance attitude.

You see theres a difference between responsible hunting and some of the stuff I see on here. Try to see it the hunters way? I have worked with hunters in conservation and they have been excellent wildlife observers but theres responsible hunting and then theres "The rest are bad vermin and da country would be better off with them gone".

I dont want to see the point of view of an attitude that has caused Norway's ambassador to beg us to stop killing the golden eagles Norway has sent us. Nothing justifies the attitude to wildlife some people have. I have seen numerous hunters here complain about the poaching problem in Ireland and then the same "hunters" (or poachers) say that they wouldnt have a problem killing endangered species or giving brides to officials in Africa.

Its not anti hunters that create problems for hunters in this country its hunters themselves with their "wildlife" is a nuisance attitude.
    Da golden eagles came from Scotland. White tailed eagles came from Norway.
    One of da biggestt causes of extinction on da planet is caused by the introduction of non-native species into ecosystema.
    I do not advocatte the removal of indigenous wildlife. I wouldn't even snare/shoot foxes on my land eventhough I do have da sheep and they take the odd one.

Da golden eagles came from Scotland. White tailed eagles came from Norway.
    One of da biggestt causes of extinction on da planet is caused by the introduction of non-native species into ecosystema.
    I do not advocatte the removal of indigenous wildlife. I wouldn't even snare/shoot foxes on my land eventhough I do have da sheep and they take the odd one.

The eagles used to be native here but they were poisoned one hyndred years ago. The same reason their dying out today. I dont have a problem with any farmer protecting their livestock. If you take on thing out of the ecosystem or add another your going to cause problems.

The eagles used to be native here but they were poisoned one hyndred years ago. The same reason their dying out today. I dont have a problem with any farmer protecting their livestock..
    I knows da sea eagles and golden eagles wre native. Da donor stock for the reintroductions came from norway and scotland. I was correcting ya. you said the goldens came from Norway
    If you take on thing out of the ecosystem or add another your going to cause problems
    Da very point I is making. Don't remove native beasts but don't start introducing shít like sika deer, mink, pheasants into da country

There needs to be a change of emphasis. If you want to kill wildlife then you should have to prove that you have a very justifiable reason for doing so. Killing wildlife shouldn't be a sport or pastime for pleasure.

Here Eagles get shot or poisoned. In Scotland they are seen as a massive tourist revenue earner. The Sea Eagles on Mull are loved by the fishermen - so much so that they swoop over the boats because the crews throw them food. I saw a report that claimed that 60% of the visitors to Mull came specifically to see the Sea Eagles. In the old days thousands went to Loch Garten to see the Ospreys.

• Advertisement

Shenshen wrote: »
    The only animals I would kill are spiders... And I am ashamed of that. It's not rational, it's a really ridiculous phobia, but despite attempts, I haven't been able to get rid of it yet. So if I find a spider inside the house, I usually kill it with a spray. I cannot get close enough to them for anything else.
    Outside, they are free to do whatever they want, I don't mind.

Other than that, I don't kill any animals. I'm vegetarian.
    I don't have a general problem with people killing animals for food, but I do find the amount of people here who seem to enjoy killing for sport rather disturbing.

If I find a spider in my house I just put him outside but I know some people are afraid of them. My cousin lives in Queensland and you should see the spiders they have there.

I hate bluebottles though, if i see them then they have to die.

There needs to be a change of emphasis. If you want to kill wildlife then you should have to prove that you have a very justifiable reason for doing so. Killing wildlife shouldn't be a sport or pastime for pleasure.

Here Eagles get shot or poisoned. In Scotland they are seen as a massive tourist revenue earner. The Sea Eagles on Mull are loved by the fishermen - so much so that they swoop over the boats because the crews throw them food. I saw a report that claimed that 60% of the visitors to Mull came specifically to see the Sea Eagles. In the old days thousands went to Loch Garten to see the Ospreys.

The sheep farmers in Noway also love birds of prey as they keep crow numbers down (Im not saying Irish farmers dont love them aswell)

Why did you line the corpses up in order of size, place your gun next to them, and then take a photograph?
    to put the pic up in the hunting section and on another site i post on to share with the lads. We all like to look at the pics that go with the stories. I take pics of most things i shoot

The sheep farmers in Noway also love birds of prey as they keep crow numbers down (Im not saying Irish farmers dont love them aswell)

I was involved with the Red Kite release in the Southern UK. Initially there were plenty of farmers who claimed that the Kites would take Lambs. Luckily they realised that the Kites in their field were feeding on earthworms & now they are universally welcomed.

It used to be funny watching coach loads of twitchers heading to Wales to see Red Kites not realising that there were Kites in the sky above the Motorway that they were driving on. :D

to put the pic up in the hunting section and on another site i post on to share with the lads. We all like to look at the pics that go with the stories. I take pics of most things i shoot

And that's something I don't really understand. To me, it smacks of making trophies out of the animals, and taking pleasure in killing them.

Of course you're entitled to that once the animals have been killed legally, but I have to admit that I find it creepy and suggestive that a lot of people get a kick out of hunting. Even if that's not their sole reason for hunting, I find that a bit odd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

And that's something I don't really understand. To me, it smacks of making trophies out of the animals, and taking pleasure in killing them.

Of course you're entitled to that once the animals have been killed legally, but I have to admit that I find it creepy and suggestive that a lot of people get a kick out of hunting. Even if that's not their sole reason for hunting, I find that a bit odd.

Hunting is hard-wired into the human brain, there is nothing creepy about enjoying it in my opinion.

Hunting is hard-wired into the human brain, there is nothing creepy about enjoying it in my opinion.

I don't think it is hard-wired into our brains. I have no urges to hunt.

Survival is hard-wired into us. If we were hungry and had no other easier ways to get food we'd have no problem hunting animals to eat. I'd certainly have few qualms about killing an animal if I needed, especially if I'd got used to killing.

But I don't think we're hard-wired to shoot foxes and take photos of their bodies to share with others.

It was hard wired out of a necessity to survive. We have moved on a bit since then & factors such as compassion, respect etc influence our choices. If you justifiable euthanased a number of dogs & then lined them for a pic it would be seen as wrong & showing disrespect. Wildlife is entitled to a bit of dignity.

To me the photo is reminiscent of the trophy photos by game hunters.

it is a trophy for me.

I obviously get a kick out of hunting i wouldnt do it otherwise, the killing doesnt bother me its making the shot and a clean kill thats exciting

Recently took a mates oul lad out to shoot some targets because he had never shot a gun, he wasnt into hunting and asked not to kill anything which was fine. By the end of it he had shot a rabbit and was happy as a pig in ****e going home with his tea under his arm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

None of us hunt for food. Firearms are expensive, particularly in Ireland and you'd be a long, long time making them pay for themselves. Add in the time taken and the sheer effort and it's a non-runner here realistically, with anyone working full time. Some, like johngalway, are protecting their own means of survival directly, and wouldn't be too bothered otherwise, but for everyone else, it's because they want to do it, not because they have to. I hunt because I want to, because I love it. It costs a fortune in time, firearms, ammo, clothing, equipment and such. It has me sitting in snow for hours at a time, much of it before dawn, in winter, and often there's nothing killed, but I get out, and I walk and hike, and I creep and crawl around watching wildlife in its own environment without being seen or heard or smelt. I stalk deer through long grass, heart beating like a drum, every footfall as slow and quiet as can be, silently praying for everything to go well. When it does, I kill the animal quickly and cleanly, followed by the curious sensation that nobody who doesn't hunt will ever feel or understand, the strange combination of joy, sweet sadness and respect and affection for the animal, then work hard to bleed and field dress it, then work harder to get it back to the vehicle. I process it at home, mature it and then I eat it. The long process results in me eating the best of wild game meat, finest food in the world, but that's only the end of the process, and the reason I do it is for the whole damn thing. It's not the killing. It's all about the hunt. Those who do it will understand. Those who don't probably never will. I'll still be doing it until I shuffle off this little blue and green blob in space.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

I couldn't kill anything - I feel quilty if I accidently drown a spider I didn't see in the shower :(
    I switch off the shower if I see a spider or a small fly there, then move them to safety and return to shower

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

it is a trophy for me.

I obviously get a kick out of hunting i wouldnt do it otherwise, the killing doesnt bother me its making the shot and a clean kill thats exciting

Recently took a mates oul lad out to shoot some targets because he had never shot a gun, he wasnt into hunting and asked not to kill anything which was fine. By the end of it he had shot a rabbit and was happy as a pig in ****e going home with his tea under his arm
    thats when hunting has a meaning, rather than doing it for the thrill of killing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

I switch off the shower if I see a spider or a small fly there, then move them to safety and return to shower

But sometimes they're already dead by the time you see them.

thats when hunting has a meaning, rather than doing it for the thrill of killing

Like I said above, nobody hunts for food. The provision of food is totally secondary to the primary motivation to hunt, which is the hunt itself. If getting food were the sole objective, any day I didn't kill something would be a complete failure, but as it is, some of the best days I've spent hunting haven't resulted in a kill of any sort.

None of us hunt for food. Firearms are expensive, particularly in Ireland and you'd be a long, long time making them pay for themselves. Add in the time taken and the sheer effort and it's a non-runner here realistically, with anyone working full time. Some, like johngalway, are protecting their own means of survival directly, and wouldn't be too bothered otherwise, but for everyone else, it's because they want to do it, not because they have to. I hunt because I want to, because I love it. It costs a fortune in time, firearms, ammo, clothing, equipment and such. It has me sitting in snow for hours at a time, much of it before dawn, in winter, and often there's nothing killed, but I get out, and I walk and hike, and I creep and crawl around watching wildlife in its own environment without being seen or heard or smelt. I stalk deer through long grass, heart beating like a drum, every footfall as slow and quiet as can be, silently praying for everything to go well. When it does, I kill the animal quickly and cleanly, followed by the curious sensation that nobody who doesn't hunt will ever feel or understand, the strange combination of joy, sweet sadness and respect and affection for the animal, then work hard to bleed and field dress it, then work harder to get it back to the vehicle. I process it at home, mature it and then I eat it. The long process results in me eating the best of wild game meat, finest food in the world, but that's only the end of the process, and the reason I do it is for the whole damn thing. It's not the killing. It's all about the hunt. Those who do it will understand. Those who don't probably never will. I'll still be doing it until I shuffle off this little blue and green blob in space.

Well the problem is the Irish people who say everything must be wiped off the land dont help people understand. The hunters I encountered in America were nothing like that and the rednecks that were werent granted licenses to hunt.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Firearms are expensive, particularly in Ireland and you'd be a long, long time making them pay for themselves.

I dunno. Something Tac Foley, I think, said ages back about the sheer number of new guns on the forum compared to elsewhere. I figure if we were happy with second hand, cheap but practical, and had ready access to edible critters a person wouldn't be long bridging the gap.

For what I paid for my .223 set up I'd probably get a perfectly functional side by side, .22lr, and deer legal rifle with all the necessary bits and bobs.

But yes, Ireland is expensive, small, remote, notionally backward market that it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Anything smaller than a cat is fair game.
    Nope cats fit into this aswell
    Feral cats are vicious little b***ards and I've no problem lifting the gun at one and taking it out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

I wish I could do that, but the moment I see one inside the housr, part of my brain instantly jumps out of the window in blind panic, leaving me barely able to get rid of the spider without getting closer than about 2 feet.
    I realise that this is silly and ridiculous in the extreme, but I haven't so far been able to get over it.
    I do feel extremely guilty about it.

Flies and bugs I do just shoo back out of the window, but spiders I just cannot cope with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

Off hand, I don't know ......... will let you know Monday evening.

Well the problem is the Irish people who say everything must be wiped off the land dont help people understand. The hunters I encountered in America were nothing like that and the rednecks that were werent granted licenses to hunt.

No argument. I'm not looking to wipe things out. I've hunted foxes, rabbits, deer, birds and so forth, but the stuff that really gets me are the likes of deer, where climbing in high country, long crawls across open ground and the like are the main body of the sport. I believe in controlling our issues and where asked to, will shoot foxes and crows and so forth, but I don't go out looking to do it either, though will ask farmers if they need a hand any time I see them. I don't believe we have anything at the moment whose establishment is so shallow that eradication is a realistic prospect. I certainly don't believe the likes of sika deer are a real problem, though their numbers and density can be in some areas, but our current position is one of accommodation and coexistence, for me.

• Advertisement

No argument. I'm not looking to wipe things out. I've hunted foxes, rabbits, deer, birds and so forth, but the stuff that really gets me are the likes of deer, where climbing in high country, long crawls across open ground and the like are the main body of the sport. I believe in controlling our issues and where asked to, will shoot foxes and crows and so forth, but I don't go out looking to do it either, though will ask farmers if they need a hand any time I see them. I don't believe we have anything at the moment whose establishment is so shallow that eradication is a realistic prospect. I certainly don't believe the likes of sika deer are a real problem, though their numbers and density can be in some areas, but our current position is one of accommodation and coexistence, for me.

Where I live there used to be alot of forestry but it has been cut down over the last few years so the deer have nowhere to go except onto the farmers land. The farmers let the hunters on their land to shoot some of the deer and the hunters give some of the meat to the farmers in return.
    My brother is one of these farmers and it's good to see cooperation between both parties that benefits everyone.

Feral cats are vicious little b***ards and I've no problem lifting the gun at one and taking it out

So if your pet cat goes missing it may of been shot by dodder or one of his ilk because there is no way of being sure that a feral isn't someone's pet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭Sar_Bear

Anything that flys or crawls into my house is dead. I've those sticky fly traps everywhere and if himself isn't around to tackle the creepy crawlys they either get the hairspray treatment or the hoover or a very large book down ontop of em.

. I certainly don't believe the likes of sika deer are a real problem, though their numbers and density can be in some areas, but our current position is one of accommodation and coexistence, for me.
    :eek:
    There be no Red Deer left in Wicklow due to Sika Deer, The Red deer in Kerry are at risk due to low present numbers. Go to any native forest in Wicklow even da national park and ya see minimal regeneration of forest and fúck all understorey vegetation. Sika deer are a menance full stop. Even with lads lamping the shíte out of them da place still rotten.

Where I live there used to be alot of forestry but it has been cut down over the last few years so the deer have nowhere to go except onto the farmers land. The farmers let the hunters on their land to shoot some of the deer and the hunters give some of the meat to the farmers in return.
    My brother is one of these farmers and it's good to see cooperation between both parties that benefits everyone.

Well no its not. The ideal situation is not destroying a creatures natural habitat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

So if your pet cat goes missing it may of been shot by dodder or one of his ilk because there is no way of being sure that a feral isn't someone's pet.
    Actually as a hunter and many other hunters will tell you a feral cat can be easily recognised to an ordinary house cat so before writing smart comments you should think before writing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭MrReynholm

I do what I can to ensure I don't kill any living creatures myself, insects or otherwise. I don't even bother putting spiders out of the house, quite happy for them to live here really as they're not bothering anyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Is it not hypocritical for people who eat meat to condemn hunters who chose to kill animals for fun? Afterall, meat isn't a necessary part of most people's diet. Most of us eat meat for pleasure. Animals are killed for our pleasure. So how can we then condemn those who kill directly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

I once kiled a monkey. Luckily we have no extradition process with Zambia.

Mod: Banned

Actually as a hunter and many other hunters will tell you a feral cat can be easily recognised to an ordinary house cat so before writing smart comments you should think before writing

Having helped out with TNR schemes I personally know that it is impossible to be sure that any cat is feral. This is why trapping was the only method deemed acceptable during the Tory Island Cat cull.

I have a manky looking Tom that visits my garden. Most would assume that he is a feral but he is owned by my neighbour. Away fro their home he acts in the nervous way that one associates with Ferals.

In any event there is a strong campaign to make all cats a protected species as part of the AWB.

• Advertisement
Advertisement