Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Casually killing creatures

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Longfellow wrote: »
    Huntin is in da blood of nearly all people. If ya ain't never hunted then ya can't know the thrill and excitement of the hunt/kill. It's the most natural thing in the world. Goat huntin with dogs is my thing. Ya can't beat it.
    Here's abit of goat hntin in the video. I use around 5 dogs. I won't go after a billy though. Too dangerous for the dogs. Watch and enjoy:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndTe0iULddw
    Decent video mate
    What dogs you hunting with
    I met a bloke that hunts boar in Texas with dogs and said he puts vests on the dogs to protect them do u do the same?
    As for the other posts feral goats do damage aswell and get culled for it and way I see it is if the animal is dead then that's result
    Fair enough the dogs catch it and animal is in pain but is then quickly killed by a knife through heart or cut through the neck therefore it is dead and is a result

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Longfellow

Decent video mate
    I met a bloke that hunts boar in Texas with dogs and said he puts vests on the dogs to protect them do u do the same?
    As for the other posts feral goats do damage aswell and get culled for it and way I see it is if the animal is dead then that's result
    Fair enough the dogs catch it and animal is in pain but is then quickly killed by a knife through heart or cut through the neck therefore it is dead and is a result
    Lurchers and bull terrier. I only go after females with kids. Billy too dangerous, they kill dogs The dogs have kevlar armour on them. I usually slit the throat with knife or spaer with lance in heart (if the dogs take too long).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Hunting with dogs or horses isn't my thing as I prefer the humane kill thats quick via a suitable size bullet before even realises its shot.

terriers are used in fox dens and they go straight for the neck and kill is fast enough.. still not my thing.

Hunting deer with dogs is illegal here and rightly so because the dogs have to chase deer and catch them and drag them down.. like you see a lion doing but takes longer because dogs aren't as strong. Goats are considered a invasive species and dont have the protection deer do so this is still allowed unfortunately.

dogs are used in the states after boar where corner the boar and keep it from running off and the owner is followed up and they catch it alive by the back legs and tie up the legs..The boar is transferred alive because if they kill it there the meat will spoil. People who are employed as boar hunters catch the boar and donate the meat to the needy

Decent video mate
    Lurchers and bull terrier. I only go after females with kids. Billy too dangerous, they kill dogs The dogs have kevlar armour on them. I usually slit the throat with knife or spaer with lance in heart (if the dogs take too long).
    Least the kill is quick but sure in my opinion a dead goat is a good goat as for Billy's what do you do with them shoot them or just don't bother with them
    I wouldn't mind shooting one or two I hate goats they freak me out killed one with a knife in philippines and then eat it was horrible meat

garv123 wrote: »
    Hunting with dogs or horses isn't my thing as I prefer the humane kill thats quick via a suitable size bullet before even realises its shot.

terriers are used in fox dens and they go straight for the neck and kill is fast enough.. still not my thing.

Hunting deer with dogs is illegal here and rightly so because the dogs have to chase deer and catch them and drag them down.. like you see a lion doing but takes longer because dogs aren't as strong. Goats are considered a invasive species and dont have the protection deer do so this is still allowed unfortunately.

dogs are used in the states after boar where corner the boar and keep it from running off and the owner is followed up and they catch it alive by the back legs and tie up the legs..The boar is transferred alive because if they kill it there the meat will spoil. People who are employed as boar hunters catch the boar and donate the meat to the needy
    Animals can be wounded by shootin and not killed outright. I had plenty of runners when i was at shottin. Da way i do be huntin any beast that is caught don't get away. Death is certain. In ways it be more humane than shooti and m,ore natural too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Lads, by this I mean the hunters why bother engage with those ott antis, I won't. They are nearly cumming with delight on threads like this. I have better things to do than help them get off on the net; it appears they live for it, not saving the animals, the sexual kick they get off threads like this. It just facilitating their hysteria/addiction/OCD imo

Sometimes huntin with animals is more humane
    Take ferreting for example
    Most humane way of killing rabbits
    Ferret goes in an chases the rabbit out and it runs into a bet and is dispatched quickly and no suffering
    If the ferret catches rabbit then rabbit is killed with one bite to the back of neck or head and is killed quickly

Least the kill is quick but sure in my opinion a dead goat is a good goat as for Billy's what do you do with them shoot them or just don't bother with them
    I wouldn't mind shooting one or two I hate goats they freak me out killed one with a knife in philippines and then eat it was horrible meat
    Da reason i hunt when they have kids is because the kids slow da herd down. Near impossible to get near with da hounds when only adult in herd. anyways them billy be dangerous as fúck i won't chance them with da dogs, i's too fond of da dogs. Guess I'm a little soft:o.
    The lads in gun club shoot the billy (i lost da licence). I have the goats near exterminated in da area now not many left now. They was doing great damage to my forstry plantation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Cocolola

It's nice to see most of the hunters here aren't too keen on hunting with dogs then.

I have to come clean on something though, as extremely opposed as I am to bloodsports and the killing of "vermin", I don't really have a problem with shooting for food, in particular venison and rabbit. I'm not a vegetarian so I try to make a small effort in that I only buy meat that has come from organic and free ranged animals that have led as good a life as possible. I've visited the farm where my eggs come from and I get my pork direct from a local farm. I buy organic beef but to be honest I'm not sure exactly where it comes from.

So in that sense, I actually think that a quick, clean kill is preferable to the transport of livestock to an abattoir and the wait to be slaughtered. Birds, I'm not too happy with as I've seen too many that are badly injured with the first shot and then it takes a while for someone to get to them to finish them off.

Goat is great meat, I have lived on it in some refugee camps, but the best I tasted was in Spain.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭cartell_best

Not too long ago as I was on a journey from Freshford in Kilkenny heading towards Kilkenny city when I came upon a school bus stopped by the side of the road. Judging my distance I had about 200 metres and slowed down and from memory the most beautiful dog (same as from the Lassie movies) came out on to the road just in front of the bus. I blew the horn on my car and the dog ran back in front of the bus (out of my view) and then as I came more or less next to the bus the dog ran out (On a main road and was after slowing down considerably). I had no time to react and of course, from my perspective, the inevitable happened and I collided with the misfortunate animal. To this day, I see the poor animal hit my bonnet and windscreen and somersault into the air and resting just opposite the bus. At this point I was after coming to a complete stop on the road and watched two children run to the dog and just try to comfort him, just hug him and talk to him whilst crying their hearts out.

At this point I was after stopping the car and did my best to pull the car over to the grass kerb. I watched those kids watch that animal die and their father come rushing out after hearing the commotion because they lived opposite from where the bus stopped. I watched while the dad carried the dog whilst the two kids were bawling their eyes out. It took me 2 hours to compose myself and umpteen times for the children’s father to convince me that it was an accident. To this day, after seeing how much pain I caused that family, I find it hard to understand or comprehend how anyone can hurt or kill a defenceless animal. So killing defenceless creatures is unforgivable, it has to go beyond human reasoning, because a normal human being would not inflict injury or death onto a defenceless animal without feeling even the slightest bit of remorse or sadness.

Not too long ago as I was on a journey from Freshford in Kilkenny heading towards Kilkenny city when I came upon a school bus stopped by the side of the road. Judging my distance I had about 200 metres and slowed down and from memory the most beautiful dog (same as from the Lassie movies) came out on to the road just in front of the bus. I blew the horn on my car and the dog ran back in front of the bus (out of my view) and then as I came more or less next to the bus the dog ran out (On a main road and was after slowing down considerably). I had no time to react and of course, from my perspective, the inevitable happened and I collided with the misfortunate animal. To this day, I see the poor animal hit my bonnet and windscreen and somersault into the air and resting just opposite the bus. At this point I was after coming to a complete stop on the road and watched two children run to the dog and just try to comfort him, just hug him and talk to him whilst crying their hearts out.

At this point I was after stopping the car and did my best to pull the car over to the grass kerb. I watched those kids watch that animal die and their father come rushing out after hearing the commotion because they lived opposite from where the bus stopped. I watched while the dad carried the dog whilst the two kids were bawling their eyes out. It took me 2 hours to compose myself and umpteen times for the children’s father to convince me that it was an accident. To this day, after seeing how much pain I caused that family, I find it hard to understand or comprehend how anyone can hurt or kill a defenceless animal. So killing defenceless creatures is unforgivable, it has to go beyond human reasoning, because a normal human being would not inflict injury or death onto a defenceless animal without feeling even the slightest bit of remorse or sadness.
    I feel sadness when my quarry dies. I admire their fight and courage

Animals can be wounded by shootin and not killed outright. I had plenty of runners when i was at shottin. Da way i do be huntin any beast that is caught don't get away. Death is certain. In ways it be more humane than shooti and m,ore natural too

Ah you wouldnt of had as many wounded runners if you tried shooting deer in daylight instead of lamping them illegally :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭cartell_best

I feel sadness when my quarry dies. I admire their fight and courage

I'm sorry, i don't understand? maybe I'm lost in translation! Either you're Sean Quinn and reminiscing or you're talking about turf cutting...sorry, not being smart but what?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 michaelmouse

Right so a chicken is killed because you want to eat it ( you claim it's killed because of demand, it wouldn't be killed if people like you didn't want to eat it) and that's fine. But a pheasant/rabbit Is killed because I want to eat it and all of a sudden it's unnecessary slaughter? Your right that's not demand. Well done, before you typed anything some people may have taught you were dumb, now that you have decided to type it has been confirmed

This is not just aimed at you my good friend.. i should explain my point clearly... i have a problem with those who do not eat what they hunt/kill also those who claim to do it for survival/feeding reasons when its clearly for blood sport.
    Im impressed with everyone and some of the insults... this highlights my point of gun nuts having issues...

Guns were made for people who who struggled with women.. a good way to take out that sexual frustration and feel like a real man...

This is not just aimed at you my good friend.. i should explain my point clearly... i have a problem with those who do not eat what they hunt/kill also those who claim to do it for survival/feeding reasons when its clearly for blood sport.
    Im impressed with everyone and some of the insults... this highlights my point of gun nuts having issues...

Guns were made for people who who struggled with women.. a good way to take out that sexual frustration and feel like a real man...

Obvious troll is obvious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,647 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

It's good that you came along...this thread needed some rational argument:rolleyes::pac:

Just because you had that experience does not make it a normal part of human subjectivity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Cocolola wrote: »
    I but organic beef but to be honest I'm not sure exactly where it comes from.
    In Ireland you can be pretty confident your beef is organic. Luckily cattle have maintained a pretty high standard of life by international standards.

• Advertisement

Just back from ferretin for an hour
    Ferret killed 2 rabbits and 5 bolted into the nets
    Another happy farmer

I'd like to see a farmer that grows crops to come and post on this
    He will explain the damage vermin does

Another happy farmer

We have now and again problems with da rabbits. Mainly the vegtable patch which we grow. We lamp occasionally them with lurchers, but mostly lads from gun club lamp/shoot them. I find the lurchers are very prone to injury when lamping at night, da land won't be very level and plenty of dykes and hedges. we stopped people huntin da foxes around da place. Their numbers do be increased and they are the best now at the rabbit vermin control:)

I know what ya mean man
    I know lads that lamp with hawks and can be quite dangerous for the hawks they can follow the rabbit on the lamp and hit a fence or get lost
    In my experience nothin beats a good ferret for gettin rabbits

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭3rdDegree

Another happy farmer

Apparently it was the same with mammoth. Couldn't keep them out of the vegetable patches and man exterminated them without mercy. People like you sicken me.

3rdDegree wrote: »
    Apparently it was the same with mammoth. Couldn't keep them out of the vegetable patches and man exterminated them without mercy. People like you sicken me.

More outrage at the realities of where food comes from. Fantastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,679 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Odysseus wrote: »
    Lads, by this I mean the hunters why bother engage with those ott antis, I won't. They are nearly cumming with delight on threads like this. I have better things to do than help them get off on the net; it appears they live for it, not saving the animals, the sexual kick they get off threads like this. It just facilitating their hysteria/addiction/OCD imo

Have to take you up on this. I've posted on here and said that I have no problem with people shooting and I have eaten deer that hunters have shot on my brothers land. It's a quick end for the animal and they feel nothing.
    But people saying they hunt goats with dogs is just wrong and it's cruel to the animals. It's no better than badger baiting IMO.

• Advertisement

Have to take you up on this. I've posted on here and said that I have no problem with people shooting and I have eaten deer that hunters have shot on my brothers land. It's a quick end for the animal and they feel nothing.
    But people saying they hunt goats with dogs is just wrong and it's cruel to the animals. It's no better than badger baiting IMO.
    Huntin goats with dogs is not illegal. Badger baiting is illegal.
    Feral goats be vermin, badgers are not.
    A badger is a powerful animal and will seriously do damage to a dog. There no way i'd let my dogs tackle an animal like that. I only hunt goats that will not harm my dogs (kids preferably or pregnant/lactatin females).
    A badger is a native animal while goats be introducred vermin. Another reason why I won't be huntin badgers

3rdDegree wrote: »
    Another happy farmer

Seriously what age are you? Grow up child!!!!
    I hear that man had huge ferrets for them mammoths!
    Let's say your lively good and your family depended on your crops and rabbits destroyed them and left you poorer every year and barely scraping by!
    Go on say something now like ' oh I would humanely trap them and put them on teletubby land'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Odysseus wrote: »

Yea Im also going to have to take you up on this aswell. I didnt say Im anti hunting but theres some hunters on boards who have no respect for animal life whatsoever. Hunters here have talked about not having a problem shooting endangered species on boards. Some here have no regard for any forms of life and see animals as things that get in our way. Ireland has a really bad rep in zoological circles and Im trying to combat that. Were one of the only countries that does nothing when protected species are killed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

Huntin goats with dogs is not illegal. Badger baiting is illegal.
    Feral goats be vermin, badgers are not.
    A badger is a powerful animal and will seriously do damage to a dog. There no way i'd let my dogs tackle an animal like that. I only hunt goats that will not harm my dogs (kids preferably or pregnant/lactatin females).
    A badger is a native animal while goats be introducred vermin. Another reason why I won't be huntin badgers

I say this as a hunter (just back in the door from shooting) I hope you are trolling with that post about goats and only killing kids and lactating females, posting that here does nothing for our image

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭noxqs

Mosquitos is fair game.

But once a spider the size of a beer coaster crawled in the window I sat next, out of instinct i automatically smashed it with a coffe cup I had in my hand at the time, in a millisecond reaction. Smashing spider, cup and getting coffee everywhere - usually i'd catch them and put them outside, but damn if they jump me..

• Advertisement

Pretty sure that our ancestors hunted with dogs what's wrong with keepin it going?

Pretty sure that our ancestors hunted with dogs what's wrong with keepin it going?

Im pretty sure our ancestors walked on their knuckles and threw sh1t at each other aswell. We evolved a sense of civility thats why its wrong to keep it going. Surely hunting with guns is enough. What extra enjoyment would you get out of prolonging the suffering of an animal by hunting with dogs?

So you saying old traditions should be f***ed out the window and forgotten about
    I for one won't be
    Using dogs for hunting dates back thousands of years and I think should be kept going
    I hunt with ferrets which is an old traditional way of hunting and I hunt with birds of prey which is one of the oldest ways of hunting
    Shall I just stop cuz you think it's cruel?
    I know were I would tell you to go
    You think that farmed Animals are treated better?

So you saying old traditions should be f***ed out the window and forgotten about
    I for one won't be
    Using dogs for hunting dates back thousands of years and I think should be kept going
    I hunt with ferrets which is an old traditional way of hunting and I hunt with birds of prey which is one of the oldest ways of hunting
    Shall I just stop cuz you think it's cruel?
    I know were I would tell you to go
    You think that farmed Animals are treated better?

Im saying that describing an activity as an old tradition does not justify its continued existence. You talk about the antis but the stuff your coming out with does more damage to hunting than they do. Actually I would say most people think its cruel. And yes I think in most cases farmers treat their animals better than those who set dogs on them.

I say this as a hunter (just back in the door from shooting) I hope you are trolling with that post about goats and only killing kids and lactating females, posting that here does nothing for our image
    what were ya huntin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 407 ✭✭muckyhands

I for one have yet to see a pic proudly displaying a dead cow/ sheep or pig meant for the table- posed with a bullet between its teeth and the weapon of choice that was used to kill it- on display for said pic.

Farmers farm/ others hunt- there is a big difference.

For some reason there are those out there who seem to need such pics as recognition/ a pat on the back perhaps, for what they feel is an achievement or something to be proud of.

Not everyone is of that opinion.

Next thing you know there will be a 'slug/ snail 'sports' sticky on the gardening forum. :D

' Sure I went out lamping last night with the hedgehogs and thrushes.....' :D:D

Cue pic of said slugs/ snails- posed with bullets between teeth. :rolleyes:

Seriously :rolleyes::eek:

muckyhands wrote: »
    I for one have yet to see a pic proudly displaying a dead cow/ sheep or pig meant for the table- posed with a bullet between its teeth and the weapon of choice that was used to kill it- on display for said pic.

For some reason there are those out there who seem to need such pics as recognition/ a pat on the back perhaps, for what they feel is an achievement or something to be proud of.

Why are you looking at pics in the hunting forum is you're against it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

They're not related to house cats - they are house cats, who didn't get the same socialisation as kittens that pet cats do.

Drives me nuts when people describe a species as vicious because they are predators and because they will fight back when backed into a corner.

Saying they don't deserve to be protected is a value judgement too.
    Your talkin ****e there
    explode in numbers and feral cats and local animals taking the brunt of it
    So why protect something that has no right what so ever to be protected except fact it's related to house cats is only reason why people like you will sign that petition
    I for one will not and will continue to shoot them if it comes in range!

So say what you will but you've no opinion if you don't hunt!

muckyhands wrote: »

Next thing you know there will be a 'slug/ snail 'sports' sticky on the gardening forum. :D

' Sure I went out lamping last night with the hedgehogs and thrushes.....' :D:D

Cue pic of said slugs/ snails- posed with bullets between teeth. :rolleyes:

Seriously :rolleyes::eek:
    That's thee worst example I've ever read
    Hang your head in shame!
    Also pics are displayed for other hunters to appreciate a clean kill and a job done!
    Hence why it's in the hunting forum meaning people like you are not welcome on it!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Blay wrote: »
    Why are you looking at pics in the hunting forum is you're against it?
    That's thee worst example I've ever read
    Hang your head in shame!
    Also pics are displayed for other hunters to appreciate a clean kill and a job done!
    Hence why it's in the hunting forum meaning people like you are not welcome on it!!!!!!!

What about the picture kildare.17mhr linked to in this thread? The one with the corpses carefully lined up in order of size and in line with the gun. That seemed more about creating trophies than self-congratulation on clean kills.
    I don't see why hunters would so routinely share photographs of clean kills: they'd surely take each other's word about it. Unless there's some kind of "Pics or GTFO" code of honour.

• Advertisement

I quite enjoyed seein them pics of the foxes lined up and many other hunters would aswell
    A Dead fox is a good fox

What about the picture kildare.17mhr linked to in this thread? The one with the corpses carefully lined up in order of size and in line with the gun. That seemed more about creating trophies than self-congratulation on clean kills.
    I don't see why hunters would so routinely share photographs of clean kills: they'd surely take each other's word about it. Unless there's some kind of "Pics or GTFO" code of honour.

Would you rather he left them in a heap?

It's to show the animals size etc. A big fox with a good clean coat and teeth in good nick is indicative of an animal that is eating well; could be chickens, sheep, birds etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭TheBegotten

So say what you will but you've no opinion if you don't hunt!
    Are you implying that we don't have the right to an opinion if we don't have a gun? That sounds awfully anarchist. I for one have no problem with hunting when it is undertaken with dignity and respect for the quarry. What i do have a problem with is louts walking into the woods/fields with a gun and a 12 pack of Dutch Gold taking pot-shots at anything that moves. The people who defend their actions by saying "It's legal" or start talking about animals and agriculture like a character out of a John B. Keane play.
    Don't get me wrong circle of life, movement of nutriants etc. But the oldest spirituality comes from the bond between hunter and prey. That should be respected. Ernst Hemmingway describes it quite well inThe Old Man and The Sea.

Just as a side note, I think our attitude to land has a lot to answer for in relation to our bad zoological rep. To clear things up, just because its your land doesn't mean you can do anything you want on it.

What i do have a problem with is louts walking into the woods/fields with a gun and a 12 pack of Dutch Gold taking pot-shots at anything that moves. The people who defend their actions by saying "It's legal"

Where did anyone say that's legal?

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭TheBegotten

What i do have a problem with is louts walking into the woods/fields with a gun and a 12 pack of Dutch Gold taking pot-shots at anything that moves. The people who defend their actions by saying "It's legal"

Where did anyone say that's legal?
    No, I meant that I have a low opinion of people who use legality to defend their actions, which I have seen several times on this thread. I did not mean to say one implys the other. But my main point was dignity in the activity, rather than getting kicks from watching things die.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

What have people got against foxes? :confused: They're lovely.

I kill spiders cause they're ugly and kill wasps and bees cause I hate them with a passion.
    Also would kill a mouse but only with a trap.

I once killed a squirrel by accident when I was a kid, was traumatised for ages because of it :(

Have you read the thread? It has been outlined probably once on every page.

Have you read the thread? It has been outlined probably once on every page.

Havent seen a good enough reason. Once had a religion teacher who used to hunt foxes and she could never give me a good enough reason either :/

Havent seen a good enough reason. Once had a religion teacher who used to hunt foxes and she could never give me a good enough reason either :/

What is a good reason for you?

Foxes are not the benevolent creatures you see in The Animals of Farthing Wood.

• Advertisement

What is a good reason for you?

Foxes are not the benevolent creatures you see in The Animals of Farthing Wood.

They do what they have to to get food. Why dont you use the time spent hunting a build a wall to keep them out instead. There are better ways than killing them.

Advertisement