Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Toyota Corolla 1.3 1999 ignition coils

• 07-06-2012 9:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭

My Corolla splutters below 2k rpm, It needs a new ignition coil but the problem is which one ? there are two coils on this car and I dont want to buy both if I only need one, how do I test for which one is faulty ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

2qk4u wrote: »
    My Corolla splutters below 2k rpm, It needs a new ignition coil but the problem is which one ? there are two coils on this car and I dont want to buy both if I only need one, how do I test for which one is faulty ?

I the absence of any test equipment, remove the 4 plugs and see which one has excess build up on it compared to the others.

Cylinder 1 and 4 are on one coil and 2 & 3 on the other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭2qk4u

I the absence of any test equipment, remove the 4 plugs and see which one has excess build up on it compared to the others.

Cylinder 1 and 4 are on one coil and 2 & 3 on the other.
    Cool, Ill have a look at them tomorrow, thanks..

I took out all plugs and number 1 & 4 are slightly more dirty that 2 & 3. I remover the coil for 1 & 4 and then refitted it, to my supprise the problem is gone... May have been a bad connection, Ill know when I drive it tomorrow.

Bad news, the problem returned, I guessed that with 1 & 4 being a bit more dirty than 2 & 3 it was that coil so I bought a new one and fitted it today but still no go, still spluttering away. Its grand for the first few minutes when I fit the coil but it doesnt take long before its back to normal..
    Should I replace the leads next ? I probably should have bought them first ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

Have you done a compression test/leakdown test on the engine at all?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭firefly08

Bad news, the problem returned, I guessed that with 1 & 4 being a bit more dirty than 2 & 3 it was that coil so I bought a new one and fitted it today but still no go, still spluttering away. Its grand for the first few minutes when I fit the coil but it doesnt take long before its back to normal..
    Should I replace the leads next ? I probably should have bought them first ?

Obvious one...but did you try using your new coil in place of the other one instead?

Also, does the spluttering happen at idle? If so, you might be able to find out which cylinders are misfiring by unplugging the leads one at a time. If you unplug one lead and it has no effect on how the engine runs, then that cylinder was misfiring. Once you know which cylinders are at fault you can try swapping the coils/leads/plugs and then repeat the test and see if the problem moves or stays in the same cylinder(s).

I'm just suggesting that because it's a free test you can do with no equipment :)

Thanks lads, I replaced the leads today and it seems ok, Ill know for sure tomorrow as Ive to drive to the big smoke for work. Ill let you know...

Advertisement