Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Build - What would you change?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

What about getting 8GB RAM sticks and a Z77 motherboard + CPU instead?

Your links are all broken, BTW.

Edit: You absolutely do not need a 1.2KW PSU. There's much PSUs which are highly efficient and modular. If I have time tomorrow, I might post a few recommendations but I can barely stay awake just now.

Item|Price
    2 x 16GB-Kit G.Skill Ares PC3-12800U CL8-8-8-24|€228.46
    Intel Core i7-3770K Tray, LGA1155|€317.65
    MSI Z77A-GD55, Intel Z77, ATX, DDR3|€149.93
    Lian Li PC-V2120A Big-Tower - silver, ohne Netzteil|€380.45
    Crucial M4 256GB SSD 6,4cm (2,5")|€213.14
    ASUS GTX680-2GD5|€490.98
    Seagate GoFlex Kit 3TB USB 3.0|€173.12
    FANTEC MR-CopyDU3 DOCKING STATION|€41.66
    4 x WD Caviar Green 2TB Sata 6Gb/s|€407.84
    Noctua NH-D14, Sockel AM2/AM2+/AM3/775/1366/1155/1156|€67.99
    LG BH10LS38 Blu-Ray Brenner Retail|€72.44
    Super-Flower SF600P14XE Golden Green 80plus gold Modular|€98.13
    Shipping|€18.99
    U2412M at komplett|€255.00
    Total|€2915.78

I kept a good bit of the stuff the same. There's probably a better value case around than that. I haven't looked at the features but I'd hope it makes ice cream or something for you at that price.
    I switched with WD for the hard drives for the longer warranty. Are the ones you had originally green drives? Also are these to go in RAID? I see that you want to add a RAID controller. If so, WD might not be the best drives to go with unless you get enterprise/RAID editions. They're double the price but on the other hand, you get 5 year warranty.
    Also, 3TB drives are going for similar price:capacity.
    http://www2.hardwareversand.de/7200+RPM/45304/WD+Caviar+Green+3000GB%2C+SATA+6Gb+s.article

I switched to the crucial M4 for the SSD. As far as I remember, the Corsair uses the same innards as the M4 but tweaked for a little more performance. I don't think it's worth that much extra money.

For a high end build like that, you could be looking at getting a U2711 or something else for much cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

not sure if that's a mistake mono, but you've 2 sets of RAM in there @ 4x4gb.

Thanks,

Here's the one I was looking at first but got distracted by the lower timings of the other.
    http://www1.hardwareversand.de/1600+Low+Voltage/56816/16GB-Kit+G.Skill+Ares+PC3-12800U+CL10-10-10-30.article

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

Thanks for that Mono..... Sorry about the links. :o

I'll give some reasoning to why I choose the items.

Firstly the CPU. 2011 socket has 40 PCI-e lanes available and the 1155 has 20. Plus 2011 socket has PIC-e v.3 to go with the graphics card and new Areca raid controllers will be released soon which are v.3 too. The 2011 is high end and fits better with other hi-end components.

The ram is low voltage 1.35, works well with the finicky 3930k when oc'd. There are some stability issues with Micron modules especially when running oc'd.

I did consider the WD RE4's but performance and price stopped me.. The new >750GB platter Seagate drives are out performing all in it's class atm. I'm taking a chance with them... Maybe though, i'll get lucky and have no reliability issues. Plus... €100 a go for 12 or more of em really adds up when paired with a raid card of around €800.

Regarding PSU... eXtreme Power Supply Calculator recommended with this build 977W. So I'm quite happy with the extra capacity of the AX1200 Gold.

I probably messed up by not getting the M4. Donno what I was thinking.... :) And I guess I'll go with the U2412M as left and right of three with the center monitor being the U2410. I thought about getting the U2711 but I don't think I have the room.

Thanks...

• Advertisement

How are you getting 977W? I just tried it there and have nowhere near that, unless there's a lot more components I don't know about.
    Power consumption goes completely mad on this platform when overclocking though.

I actually meant to put in the [url=http://www.msi.com/product/mb/Z77A-GD65.html
    ]GD65[/url] but it isn't a whole lot different than the GD55.

I suppose if you really needed the six cores, it would be a good reason to go with 2011. I think a bit of overclocking would easily help it to compete and I'd imagine it would use less power than 2011. However, if you're going for just to have the highest end system, you're not getting great value for money, plus you get the features of the newer Ivy Bridge platform. Ivy Bridge also has PCI-E 3 but I think you're overestimating your needs here. Check out the results:
    http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Intel/Ivy_Bridge_PCI-Express_Scaling/23.html
    Even at PCI-E 3 x4, you're not constricted in a modern graphics card. Still, I suppose with a budget like that, best value or power consumption aren't that much concern.

Which Seagate drives are these? ST2000DM001? Results look good for those drives. Keep in mind that the warranty is only one year though. I think the fastest drives I've seen are the Hitachi "D" series with read/write at about 180MB/s.

Yeah, the Seagate ones. It was a toss up between those and the Hitachi's. That link on techpowerup.com. I wonder how much real world it is. Most of the time, when trying to size up this new system I look at PPBM5 benchmark results. It's a database of over 800 systems running PPro benchmarks. The extreme calc is giving me 900+...

The techpowerup results are real world - they did tests on over a dozen games on previous pages. That's a full review, I just picked out the summary page.

The 3770K doesn't even make an appearance there since it's a new CPU. Performance should be a bit above the 2600K. Still, I'm thinking that the 3930K is a fair enough choice if you are going to make use of those extra cores. But aside from that, I don't think it's a great platform overall. Power consumption for one - did you put in a very high overclock into the PSU calculator?

Of course, you could always upgrade to the Ivy Bridge-E CPUs when they come along. They might make socket 2011 a bit more impressive.

Yeah, fair point, 3770K doesn't make to the list due to the fact it is so new. In extreme power supply calc, I oc'd the processor to 4.6 @ 1.4v. That came in at 257w, i think... I also added three 140mm hi perf fans and two 120mm. The other thing to bring the wattage up significantly was capacitor ageing to 30%.

And you're right, the 3930K is really only a stop gap till something with 8 cores, 20mb cache and higher clock speeds from Ivybridge-E. But that probably won't be till early next year. But by then Haswell will be on the verge.... ;)

30%?! Do you plan on running it at full load for 10 years? Even 10% would be high for a good quality PSU - running heavily for several years. PSUs like that are built with components to last.

• Advertisement
Advertisement