Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freezing Tarts

Options
  • 07-06-2012 9:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭

I have a lot of rhubarb and was planning on making some tarts with it but I've gotten the idea that it would be handy to have a few frozen.

Problem with this is should I freeze them raw or cooked.

I'm thinking that I should cook them and then freeze, then if required just stick it in the oven to heat,

Just wondering what others have done. Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭sdp

i found best of freeze them un baked, and then bake them from frozen, for me baked and frozen pastry tends to be bit soggy, even when reheated, but that might just be me, :) gd luck

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭fitzcoff

Thanks for that, I have the pastry in the fridge at the moment so will make some up later and freeze them, obviously I'll have to cook one today to make sure they taste ok ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭phormium

I find the other way around suits me best, I freeze them baked. I thaw for 20 mins on defrost in microwave and then put into oven to crisp up pastry. I think it really depends how long you are keeping them frozen, I find if frozen raw the air spaces between the rhubarb bits fill up with ice giving a very soggy pie when baked, that has been my experience anyway but then I keep them for up to a year. Thawed out a cooked one couple of weeks ago (clearing freezer for new batch from this year's rhubarb), anyway turned out it had got lost in bottom and was actually there since summer 2010, it was fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

might also be worth considering stewing or blanching the rhubarb, freezing, and then using them as a filling as needed

Advertisement