Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Visiting Schull

Options
  • 07-06-2012 9:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi everyone,

I will be visiting Schull and Ballydehob next week - my grandfather (an O'Driscoll) grew up there. Can anyone suggest places to visit which would help with family research. Do they have a "local historian" at all?

I will want to visit the cemetery hopefully to find his parents' graves - can anyone give directions to Catholic cemeteries new and old ones?

Really looking forward to the visit so any suggestions welcome!

Thanks

WildWestWagon

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Hi everyone,

I will be visiting Schull and Ballydehob next week - my grandfather (an O'Driscoll) grew up there. Can anyone suggest places to visit which would help with family research. Do they have a "local historian" at all?

I will want to visit the cemetery hopefully to find his parents' graves - can anyone give directions to Catholic cemeteries new and old ones?

Really looking forward to the visit so any suggestions welcome!

Ask in the village; entering from the Ballydehob side as you go up the

Ask in the village; entering from the Ballydehob side as you go up the hill ,take a left turn and you will find an old ruined church and cemetery.

Many of the old cemeteries are mixed. ie not solely Catholic.

But many of the locals will advise.

The local priest ( see Catholic Ireland web site) will have burial records. Phone him ahead to ask? He is a good plce to start.

Advertisement