Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What's the drainage like on the M50?

• 07-06-2012 9:51pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 892 ✭✭✭

Was just wondering how it is riding on the m50 in heavy rain. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Its grand, just need to watch out for the usual diesel etc.....the off ramps on the other hand are ****in lethal all year round!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

It's really bad in some places! Between the M3 and M1 is the worst, with little or no drainage and you could find yourself riding in a wall of spray! Just be careful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

It's really bad in some places! Between the M3 and M1 is the worst, with little or no drainage and you could find yourself riding in a wall of spray! Just be careful.

South bound from the N3 (Blanch) exit to the N4 can gather a lot of surface water too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 297 ✭✭SaoriseBiker

Agreed, you cann't be careful enough in this weather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

South bound from the N3 (Blanch) exit to the N4 can gather a lot of surface water too.

I remember going up the hill northbound between the n3 exit and entrance in heavy rain and it was like a river going across the road.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Its grand, just need to watch out for the usual diesel etc.....the off ramps on the other hand are ****in lethal all year round!!!

What M50 do you ride on then???:confused:

Even in a car the drainage and visibilty in rain is dreadfull.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Paparazzo wrote: »
    I remember going up the hill northbound between the n3 exit and entrance in heavy rain and it was like a river going across the road.

I've had rain/surface water scrub off 15-20kph from my clock on some sections, but it does seem particularly bad between the N4 and N1 (Lucan & Ballymun) sections.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

Its also crap where the M50 joins the M11 before Bray. They seem to use a different road surface.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Motorist

M50 was awful tonight, I know the rain is heavy but the drainage is bad. (Incidentally, I noticed a truck overturned on the *northbound carriageway between Tallaght and Ballymount lying across several lanes).

Is it the design that is poor that leads to accumulation of so much water? Or are 3 lane motorways more susceptible to flooding because of more surface area of tarmac?

Motorist wrote: »
    M50 was awful tonight, I know the rain is heavy but the drainage is bad. (Incidentally, I noticed a truck overturned on the southbound carriageway between Tallaght and Ballymount lying across several lanes).

FFS! As if traffic isn't bad enough out that way.
    Motorist wrote: »
    Is it the design that is poor that leads to accumulation of so much water? Or are 3 lane motorways more susceptible to flooding because of more surface area of tarmac?

No, it's bad design. It's typical of the shoddy haphazard workmanship of Irish builders!!! There are 3 and 4 lane motorways in the UK and US and THEY don't have the problem!

• Advertisement

No, it's bad design. It's typical of the shoddy haphazard workmanship of Irish builders!!! !

The M50 upgrade was actually subbed out to various UK and European contractors.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Bearcat

South bound past the Dundrum exit in heavy rain is aqua planning heaven.....water does not disapate. I'll ploughs through there in m landie in bf goodridges but with two wheels I'd be very very careful.

paddy147 wrote: »
    The M50 upgrade was actually subbed out to various UK and European contractors.;)

LMAO....yeah that know the Irish had not got a clue and lashed it down any owl' way paddy. ;)

LMAO....yeah that know the Irish had not got a clue and lashed it down any owl' way paddy. ;)

It was more to do with the original tender process and the tender costings from various companies and contractors that determined who actually got the work subbed out to them.;)

The entire M50 upgrade project was a very messy affair from the very 1st day.

As the saying goes..........."too many cooks spoil the broth"....:(

Anyway thats a whole different story for another thread.

End result of the M50 upgrade is that any rain on the M50 leads to massive spray from the road,very poor drainage,aquaplaning and very bad visibility.

Im pretty sure that all those exact same misstakes will be made with the current M1 upgrade too.

True....still I suppose its better then sitting in the traffic the way it used to be.

True....still I suppose its better then sitting in the traffic the way it used to be.

ANYTHING is better than that!!!

Advertisement