Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which is a better drink deal?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Just sell the pitchers , i would drink out of it anyway . Who needs a pint glass :p:p

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Offer both but have the pitchers priced at €12.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Battered Mars Bar

Is there not some stink you can lob out for 3 quid a pint? 3.50 is a rubbish deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭jethro081

is there not some law prohibiting licensed premises having drinks promotions at specific times. like, is it not illegal to have pints at three fifty during the matches and not for the whole day?

thought it existed to stop happy hours and the like, but i am open to correction. pretty sure that was the case in the pub i worked in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

Your dads right in terms of making money the pitchers(4 pints in a jug) of any beer for €14 is the best way for him to go. Not everyone will want the pitchers and will buy the more expensive pints but he will also be offering a reduced price on bear for his customers maximising his profit.

If you want to make the customers happy then the 3.50 pints is the way to go.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

As stated above its against the law for a pub to offer drinks at a reduced rate for certain periods of the day. An offer must be extended for the whole day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

jethro081 wrote: »
    is there not some law prohibiting licensed premises having drinks promotions at specific times. like, is it not illegal to have pints at three fifty during the matches and not for the whole day?

thought it existed to stop happy hours and the like, but i am open to correction. pretty sure that was the case in the pub i worked in.

you can't lower the price during the day.. you can increase it though... so once the price is 3.50 at the start of the day it's grand.... that's the way the law is afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Turpentine

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Free drink would be the best deal

AND the place would be packed, guarenteed!

That's exactly what's wrong with this country: terrible business acumen and atrocious spelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Kxiii wrote: »
    3.50 does sound better than the pitcher. But what about 3 pints for a tenner.

3 Pints for a tenner is a good idea, better than this pitcher phase and I remember serving pitchers in an Irish restaurant 20 years ago!

It didn't catch on then and it wont now.

My locals are competing with pints of Heineken for a Euro during matches, €3 other brands, others free pint if Ireland score, a pitcher for a tenner, pints of Tennents or Tuborg for €3.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Martyn1989 wrote: »
    As stated above its against the law for a pub to offer drinks at a reduced rate for certain periods of the day. An offer must be extended for the whole day.

They can start the day at €3.50, then raise it after the match has finished.

• Advertisement

mmcn90 wrote: »
    They can start the day at €3.50, then raise it after the match has finished.

No they can't.

Thank Dickwit MacDowell.

Destroyer of happiness be it hour-long or past 2 A.M.

"Cafe culture" they said. With this climate. Be grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭Paulie Gualtieri

has been said but yep only three pints in a pitcher , anyway, €3 from the times when games are being played , and back to regular pricing afterwards , those thirsty mofo's will stay for the night , and everybody wins kind of expect maybe I...... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

Pitchers are great if people are going to be sharing. The same said for the three pints for a tenner.

You have to consider how warm the beer will get when its sitting there! I've mistakenly gotten a pitcher to myself before, mank by the last pint! So if you're not doing rounds the pints for €3.50 is the best option. Gotta know the culture in the pub your serving for the best option really.

What you could do either is those buckets of bottles of beer sitting in ice, 5 for €20 or something. I love those.

Pitchers are great if people are going to be sharing. The same said for the three pints for a tenner.

You have to consider how warm the beer will get when its sitting there! I've mistakenly gotten a pitcher to myself before, mank by the last pint! So if you're not doing rounds the pints for €3.50 is the best option. Gotta know the culture in the pub your serving for the best option really.

What you could do either is those buckets of bottles of beer sitting in ice, 5 for €20 or something. I love those.

Nah.

Pitcher, curly straw and one of those little cocktail umbrellas.

Timmy Mallet style alcoholic beach dreams.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Sell the beer in pints as normal, pitchers are too big and are only of use when everyone is drinking the same beer. I dont want my beer from a jug sitting on a table, I want it fresh from the tap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I don't know but make sure and moan at length to your stooges in government and the media if you don't clean up.

PS: Pitchers of course. People will buy them to save queuing during the game for single pints.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

sell both.

pitchers for €10 and pints for €3.50 everyone wins

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Nu-Centz

Ghandee wrote: »
    Pitcher for a tenner.

Why don't the publican's in this country finally catch themselves on and realise:

Its better to make a small profit, on a LARGE number of patrons, than it is to gouge the shíte out of a few lads they manage to entice over the door?

Incidentally, you Gety a large number of folk through your doors, them folk will be spending more on just 'cheap beer'. Get them in, that's half the battle won.
    They're gonna be telling all their mates about the great value pitchers in your pub too btw.

well said

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭Rocky_Dennis

My father and I are debating as to which is a more attractive deal. He wants 2 sell pitchers(4 pints in a jug) of any beer for €14 whereas I think he should jus make all pints €3.50 during the match. We're not usually a sports bar but have recently invested in a 100 inch tv and hd and are anxious to draw a crowd over the euros.. All opinions/advice is much appreciated..

How to attract punters: Ham sandwiches.
    How to ensure punters buy drink: Lace the ham sandwiches in salt.

Tipp people love ham sandwiches.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Get hot bar maids. Every time Ireland scores they remove a piece of clothing...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Moon Indigo

Pitchers arent for everyone. They have a tendency to go flat. A good idea I came across in Cork was this.. When you go in you get a paper loyality style card and get it stamped every pint you get and when you get five stamps that made the pint number six free :D

You could use this and sweeten the deal by making the pints 3.00 during the 90 mins of the match. You should rake it in then and make sure you only do it on certain beers if (being a pub in a recession) profit and covering the cost of the telly is paramount! See women talk sense.. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Just had a text from my local which already is a sports bar and doesn't need to attract new customers:

Ireland V Croatia. All pints & all Bottles only €3. Free Drink for the house if Ireland win. Hot Chicken Sausages Chips Onion Rings Sandwiches @ half time. Also every one here has chances of winning free drink for next two matches. 4 large t.v's. Free food. Cheap drink. Free drink. Ye asked I delivered

• Registered Users Posts: 18,918 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

A pitcher for €14 isn't a deal.

Go with the €3.50, but there are bars out there will be beating you. You need to be a little more clever. Mine is doing €2 pints the hour before the match to get the people in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Why can't any of my locals do anything like this? No they'd rather charge €4.50 a pint and be empty. Fools.

OP I think you should do pints for €3.50 or 3 pint pitchers for €10. I know you're looking at doing 4 pint pitchers for €14 but the punter won't notice this and just think its expensive. Any places I've seen doing pitchers are for €10.

He does this for any large sporting event and is always busy.also does offers all week eg bottle of d week 3 euros and always doing raffles etc for free drinks.does a massive trade because of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,918 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭CONSI

Would agree €3.50 a pint is a better deal, Pitchers do go flat. Give a good deal for the 1st game and they might come back for the others....Also do a first goalscorer or first goal time sweepstake or have one on each table, as with wedding speech kits, money will be spent on another round

• Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭General Relativity

My father and I are debating as to which is a more attractive deal. He wants 2 sell pitchers(4 pints in a jug) of any beer for €14 whereas I think he should jus make all pints €3.50 during the match. We're not usually a sports bar but have recently invested in a 100 inch tv and hd and are anxious to draw a crowd over the euros.. All opinions/advice is much appreciated..

Wow, what great value; 4 pints for 14 quid or 4 pints for 14 quid. You must be like, a business genius, bro.

If I was to pick from those tho, I'd choose a fresh pint every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

What are the other pubs selling pitchers and pints for?
    Find out and undercut them

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭micropig

Pitchers, I don't want to have to get up during the match to refill, unless you're going to bring the 3.50 pint down to the table?

Advertisement