Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Performance issues with PowerPoint 2010

Options
  • 07-06-2012 10:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi all,

Just recently got a new Dell Latitude E6420 running Windows 7 Professional, SP1. The laptop has a decent spec (4GB memory, 2.40GHz Intel CPU) and is running MS Office 2010.

When I try to use SmartArt graphics in PowerPoint, the PowerPoint application starts to churn and becomes practically unusable. Has anyone else had this problem and/or know of a potential fix?

I've already Googled this and found nothing of use in the Microsoft Forums. Any help greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Mister Man

I have no experience really with PowerPoint, but:

Are you running anything else at the same time? Start your task manager and see what's running, check what's using RAM & CPU.
    Could this part of PowerPoint need quite a bit of power to load normally?
    Does it need a lot of graphic power?
    Is your Harddrive 100% healthy?
    Have you tried uninstalling PowerPoint and re-installing it?

I don't use PowerPoint much at all, and I have never had any problems, but maybe something I have listed can help

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Could it possibly be doing some kind of indexing on the library of available images the first time you run it? Maybe try just leaving it be when it goes into this state and see if it recovers by itself after a while.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

usual , make sure you have all patches etc. check for malware

use procexp to see if anything using CPU time / see how much memory it's using

on older versions of office I'd say, check you have installed all the features to the hard drive so not having to use CD / DVD

Advertisement