Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Red Ring problem

Options
  • 07-06-2012 10:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭

hi there, having a problem with my xbox over the least few days, every like 15-30 mins the bottom left red ring goes on, the screen goes black and i have to unplug the xbox to get it restarted, i went to xbox's support page and it said to unplug everything and try it again, so unpluged everything and turned my xbox back on, and it still keeps red ringing, anyone know any other reasons for this?. P.S its the old arcade xbox

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

It's got RRoD and your probably out of warranty best hope of having it working again is to bring it to a repair shop

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

justryan wrote: »
    It's got RRoD and your probably out of warranty best hope of having it working again is to bring it to a repair shop
    Huh? The shop is obliged to sell something of merchentable value. AFAIK, the "1 year warranty" doesn't affect your statutory rights.

If you've had it for less than three, maybe two years, the shop must pay for it's repair/refund/replacement.

If they say no, the warranty is for one year only, give them the finger and send a letter to small claims (15 euro I think). You'll win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭Paulie Gualtieri

i think theres a special cream you can get to fix your red ring .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

i think theres a special cream you can get to fix your red ring .
    Im not sure if youre serious but that only makes it funnier XD

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Gumbi wrote: »
    Huh? The shop is obliged to sell something of merchentable value. AFAIK, the "1 year warranty" doesn't affect your statutory rights.

If you've had it for less than three, maybe two years, the shop must pay for it's repair/refund/replacement.

If they say no, the warranty is for one year only, give them the finger and send a letter to small claims (15 euro I think). You'll win.
    MS have a 3 year warranty for 3 red lights.

• Advertisement

It depends on the specific one I think. In any case it's the shop's responsibility, not Microsoft's to sort it out for you (regardless ofwhether Microsoft cooperates with them).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

It depends on the specific one I think. In any case it's the shop's responsibility, not Microsoft's to sort it out for you (regardless ofwhether Microsoft cooperates with them).
    Yes, the 360s does not fall under this. Any model other than the 360s falls under this 3 year warranty. It is the same for the E74 error.

Not entirely true, and youd be as well off organising the repair through MS anyway, as the shop would only be doing the same thing, only it would be sent from there rather than your own house.

Meesared wrote: »
    Not entirely true, and youd be as well off organising the repair through MS anyway, as the shop would only be doing the same thing, only it would be sent from there rather than your own house.
    What's not entirely true?

Going through Microsoft would likely be less hassle, however, if it falls under the category of non-applicable red rings, it'll have to be through the shop.

Going through Microsoft would likely be less hassle, however, if it falls under the category of non-applicable red rings, it'll have to be through the shop.
    No it doesn't? In fact the shop do not have to handle repairs outside the standard warranty (2 years)

• Advertisement

No it doesn't? In fact the shop do not have to handle repairs outside the standard warranty (2 years)
    Well, it may be possible to make an argument for 3 years or less. What I'm saying is that there are various red rings error out there, and that Microsoft only has an extended warranty for specific error codes IIRC.

Technically the shop should facilitate any kind of breakdown issues within 2 years, perhaps 3.

Right, but not for all variations IIRC. (Not 100% sure on that). The shop is obliged to handle the issue for you anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Well, it may be possible to make an argument for 3 years or less. What I'm saying is that there are various red rings error out there, and that Microsoft only has an extended warranty for specific error codes IIRC.

Technically the shop should facilitate any kind of breakdown issues within 2 years, perhaps 3.

Incorrect. The 3 red lights is the issue. There are no other errors possible as you will have no picture on screen to specify.

It's simple. If you see 3 red lights on the front of your console MS will give you a 3 year warranty

Right, but not for all variations IIRC. (Not 100% sure on that). The shop is obliged to handle the issue for you anyways.
    The shop isnt obliged to handle it outside the standard 2 years, I really have no idea why you are directing the OP to where he bought it, they would be far better off contacting MS and sorting out a repair with them, its more straightforward and covenient.

And yes, MS do cover all red ring issues with the 3 year warranty

The shop isnt obliged to handle it outside the standard 2 years, I really have no idea why you are directing the OP to where he bought it, they would be far better off contacting MS and sorting out a repair with them, its more straightforward and covenient.

And yes, MS do cover all red ring issues with the 3 year warranty
    I was under the impression that not all red rings constituted the three year warranty. My bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭ugglasdav

think i got my problem sorted, raised my xbox of the ground for better cooling and it seem to fix the problem

It's a temporary fix, you can be sure your console is on its last legs, you would be best off checking how long is left on your Warranty (if any)

Advertisement