Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking at moving to Rialto

Options
  • 07-06-2012 10:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭

Myself and two mates are very close to agreeing a lease on an apartment on Pim Street. The block is called The Granary and we all loved the apartment to bits. However, I'm a bit apprehensive about the surroundings. We took a drive around after the viewing today and I wasn't completely comfortable. Anyone here got any experience of living in around this area? I know that Herberton/Fatima isn't meant to be the safest district in the city but the location would leave me with a 15 minute walk to my new job which I start in July.

Any advice or thoughts would be much appreciated :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭Dr. Jonathan Crane

Had a buddy live there during college last year, think he was around Pim Street too. He never had any problems and he'd get the last luas or walk home from town after nights out and such. I guess as long as you and your mates stick together and stay smart when you're out you should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 bowsandarrows

I would agree with your "not completely comfortable".

I lived there myself for 6 months and always felt the same. Never had problems but nearly did once or twice very late at night. Friend of mine got mugged just near the Luas stop, too. I saw horrible things on that Luas line.

Thought it was a lovely spot during the day I have to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Live 5 mins away from it, go to a gym in Herbeton and used to get the Luas every day for a long time from Fatima.

As with all of Dublin aslong as you keep your widths about you you're fine, the place usually dead tbh, I've often walked from Heuston Station (after Shels away matches) up through that area past The Granary at 11/12/1am and not a soul around. Luas is 5 mins away so handy for you to get out to Tallaght for Rovers matches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Not sure exactly where those apartments are but I lived in Rialto (albeit nearly right in The Barn) a fair years ago and liked it: very convenient for everything - Luas, town, shops etc - but did find there was a bit of a junkie problem. Gaff got broken into but in fairness that was the extent of the problem. Never had any grief walking around, including night time.

Only half-decent pub in the immediate area for me was the Bird Flanagan but you're nearly in town anyway so hardly stuck for pubs.

Rovers seem to have a decent presence in the area although there are a few of the other type of junkie around too but you can't have everything :pac:

stovelid wrote: »

Only half-decent pub in the immediate area for me was the Bird Flanagan but you're nearly in town anyway so hardly stuck for pubs.

Bird Flanagan seems to be attracting some least than welcome types these days, a mini riot broke out there a week or two ago.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Bird Flanagan seems to be attracting some least than welcome types these days, a mini riot broke out there a week or two ago.

Pity.

I'm talking a few years back for me. Always seemed like a well-run-boozer back them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭Blackjack

stovelid wrote: »
    Pity.

I'm talking a few years back for me. Always seemed like a well-run-boozer back them.

It's changed hands at some stage in the last 10 years, not so pleasant anymore. Tellies all over the place - used to be a great pub before with no telly, radio to distract.
    Karaoke on some nights. Service has declined too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Moving in at the end of the month :) Anyone got information on a few of the local amenities? Cooper's Cafe, The Brewery Bar and the Community Centre that does karate etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

Was working in the area for a few months last year, the Brewery bar always seemed to have a few heads hanging around outside.
    Other than that never had any hassle, even coming home at 9/10 at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Blue Eyed Boy

I've lived in different addresses in this area for 3 out of the last 4 years that I've lived in Dublin, mainly in the Dolphins Barn \ Rialto \ Coombe Hospital end of Cork Street area. Touch wood, I've never had any hassle going around the area at night. The walk from the Luas down through Fatima used to be a bit dodge but since they've finished the Herberton apartments it isn't as bad. Aside from the Bird, which I haven't drank in for some time, I wouldn't be in a hurry to drink in any of the other pubs in the area. I shouldn't judge as I haven't been in them but the stories I've been told about them are deterent enough.

As far as amenities are concerned, you have the gyms at the Herberton and at St Catherines (just across from the Granary) which are both meant to be quite good and cheap. I'm considering starting to use one of them when my membership with my current gym expires. For shopping, there's Lidl on Cork Street and Tesco Express at the Barn or if you go a few minutes further you have the big Tesco and the worlds worst Dunnes in Crumlin Shopping Centre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭squishykins

I lived there last year, never had too much of a problem as I kept to myself, just don't give anyone a reason to start on you =/ Same as anywhere in the city centre I suppose! Also, don't use the phoneboxes, friend got stabbed by a heroin needle shoved into the coin slot...

As far as amenities are concerned, you have the gyms at the Herberton and at St Catherines (just across from the Granary) which are both meant to be quite good and cheap.

I'm a member at Herbeton, for one it isn't that cheap but it's excellent, top notch facilities. Never been in Catherines but it's meant to be very basic but cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Does there be much trouble from the halting site Gav?

Voltwad wrote: »
    Does there be much trouble from the halting site Gav?

I live on the other side of Cork St so wouldn't be down there much, last summer I used to walk past it every morning and evening going to work for 2 weeks and not a tad bit of trouble and anytime I've walked past it at night coming home from Heuston after Shels away matches it's like a ghost town.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

AFAIK they keep pretty much to them selves.

Drove down past the halting site last night at 8pm and not a person about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭Danye

Drove down past the halting site last night at 8pm and not a person about.

It's that quiet at times I was wondering if anybody is still living there?

Danye wrote: »
    It's that quiet at times I was wondering if anybody is still living there?

There was cars, toy bikes and whatnot still in there so presume there is people there still.

Advertisement