Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading modem/router

• 07-06-2012 10:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭

Hi guys I have smart telecom broadband and got the standard Thomson TG585 modem/router from them when I ordered the broadband. I am looking to get a different modem/router combo can anyone recommend a good modem/router to get?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

As always with this type of question it would help if you told us why you want to upgrade? What do you want to use the router/modem for that the current one won't do for example?

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭richfly

dub45 wrote: »
    As always with this type of question it would help if you told us why you want to upgrade? What do you want to use the router/modem for that the current one won't do for example?

I want go upgrade to wireless n technology, hoping to boost performance. I notice when I am online with the xbox and my girlfriend is using the laptop it seems to lag a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

richfly wrote: »
    I want go upgrade to wireless n technology, hoping to boost performance. I notice when I am online with the xbox and my girlfriend is using the laptop it seems to lag a bit.

Sharing on a gaming connection is often going to lead to problems for the gamer. Sharing using wireless is even worse, even gaming alone over wireless, with no one else on the connection, can be problematic. Get a wired connection from the Xbox to the modem. Wireless N will not make things better for you.

jor el wrote: »
    richfly wrote: »

Sharing on a gaming connection is often going to lead to problems for the gamer. Sharing using wireless is even worse, even gaming alone over wireless, with no one else on the connection, can be problematic. Get a wired connection from the Xbox to the modem. Wireless N will not make things better for you.

I do have the xbox wired and the laptop is wireless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

In that case, upgrading your modem will definitely not make any difference.

• Advertisement

Ok thanks for the reply.

Advertisement