Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What's in a name?

• 07-06-2012 10:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭

Came across this video while browsing youtube, and mid-way through the song the singer explains that he feels that parents naming their child should have an interesting story behind the name.

There's no story behind my name, my mother just liked the sound of it, which is kind of boring. Do any AHers have interesting stories behind their names or those of their kids, which they might be willing to share with us?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

I think my name is the most common girls name in the western world....

So nope, pretty boring here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

My mother called me hairyprincess because I clearly am :cool:

No stories behind my own kids names, although while in labour with my first a midwife almost got a black eye when she asked what name I had in mind, I told her and she commented that a certain 'celeb' had a child with the same name :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭KKkitty

No story behind my own name but my oldest son is called after my little brother who died of cot death when I was 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

What's in a name?
    Letters.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

My dad got my name in a book.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

Where To wrote: »
    My dad got my name in a book.

A dictionary? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

One of my son's middle names is Alistair as he was conceived early one Sunday morning while the late Alistair Cooke's brilliant Letter from America was being re-broadcast on BBC Radio 5.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭guitarzero

I hated my name so I changed it...to the english version. Changed my life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

The name that I've been known by for most of my life isn't my official name and is nowhere on my birth cert. I was called a totally different name for the first couple of months of my life but a few hours before I was Christened my father said to my mother "why don't you name him after your father?". I was then Christened a name that doesn't appear on my birth certificate. Everyone has known me by that name since.

If I sign a cheque or anything I have to sign a name that I'm not used to writing. I'd have to get my name legally changed if I wanted to start writing the name I've used for the last 36 years on cheques or if I wanted to use that name on my passport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 545 ✭✭✭WatchWolf

Pushtrak wrote: »
    Letters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

Named after my grandad's mother. My mother wanted to call me Rebecca. *shudder*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

McChubbin wrote: »
    Named after my grandad's mother. My mother wanted to call me Rebecca. *shudder*
    Are you male or female?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stained Class

Aside from your looks, your initial identity to someone new.

A very important thing to get right when naming a child.

So many idiots get this wrong. Still, we all need people to laugh at..:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Jammy Donut

The name that I've been known by for most of my life isn't my official name and is nowhere on my birth cert. I was called a totally different name for the first couple of months of my life but a few hours before I was Christened my father said to my mother "why don't you name him after your father?". I was then Christened a name that doesn't appear on my birth certificate. Everyone has known me by that name since.

If I sign a cheque or anything I have to sign a name that I'm not used to writing. I'd have to get my name legally changed if I wanted to start writing the name I've used for the last 36 years on cheques or if I wanted to use that name on my passport.

What are the 2 names out of interest? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

My name's quite rare here, but very common is other countries!! It's not Irish or English.

I was named after a monarch, because my Mam liked the name.

Dad wanted an Irish name, but it would've sounded stupid with my surname.

Think something like Padraig Sensini!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

In the western world I think a lot of the names are just given to people with no real thought put into the meanings of them. I mean, people just think they sound nice so they slap an ould "john" or "patrick" on the kid.
    When you think of it, there are like 30 or so (complete guess) common names that someone you meet is most likely going to be called.

I know in Japan (me ranting about Japan again :rolleyes:) They have to pick from a certain list of a few thousand Kanji characters or something set by the government. But often people have 2 or 3 Kanji in there names, each character meaning its own thing. Yamada (2 Kanji) being a name. Yama = Mountain Da = Rice. Perhaps Im wrong but thats the general gist I got from it.
    Seems to have a little bit more meaning doesnt it?
    Rather than just "jimmy" because every male in this family has been called jimmy since 1910!

In regards to my name. I dont know, when I look it up it says it meant "penis" or "sex" back in ye olde england

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭timewilltell

My neighbour is pregnant and due soon. While discussing names with her husband she suggested some boys names, all of which he decline due to them not being 'strong enough.' :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Fucking John. My son will be called Mycroft Xavier.

His school days damn sure wont be the best days of his life but he'll thank me in the end.

Advertisement