Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Saorview really saor?

• 07-06-2012 10:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Is Saorview entitled to use the name "Saorview" which paraphrased translates as 'free to view' when in fact there is a need for those without an in-built digital receiver in their TV to buy a set top box for around 70 euro?
    Set top boxes are typically required for TV's that are about 5 years or older so this affects a large number of the population.

If it is the case I think it's worth a complaint to the Advertising Authority of Ireland along the lines of 'deceptive/false' advertising?

Is it another stealth tax or who does the money go to?

4theVoiceless.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I hope this thread is a joke. It's called free to view because their is no monthly subscription. Same as freeview and freesat in the UK. They could have called it "Free to view as long as you have all the necessary equipment otherwise it will cost more" but that doesn't really roll off the tongue. Your claims that it's false advertising are completely ridiculous.

The money for the box isn't a stealth tax. The government will make money from the vat on the purchase, after that the rest of it goes to the retailer who sold it to you and the company who made the box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Is Saorview entitled to use the name "Saorview" which paraphrased translates as 'free to view' when in fact there is a need for those without an in-built digital receiver in their TV to buy a set top box for around 70 euro?
    Set top boxes are typically required for TV's that are about 5 years or older so this affects a large number of the population.

If it is the case I think it's worth a complaint to the Advertising Authority of Ireland along the lines of 'deceptive/false' advertising?

4theVoiceless.
    The money goes to whatever reteiler you buy the set top box from and they must pay their suppliers out of that who in turn must pay manufacturers and all have to take their cut.

There is no charge for watching the new digital service but like recieving broadband via cable instead of via the phone line you will only get the service with the right equipment!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

4theVoiceless.

You're dead right, do you need to fork out for a TV to watch this "free to view" too??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭hairynipple

Sure you still have to pay your TV licence every month, nothin free about it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭Xterminator

what you need to buy a TV to watch saorview?
    whats the world coming to?

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

what you need to buy a TV to watch saorview?
    whats the world coming to?

:rolleyes:

next you'll be telling me i need to get electricity...
    pfft... freeview my ar5e!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 4theVoiceless

Let me try a financial top down response as to my original query:
    Having had doomed to failure austerity piled upon forced emigration piled upon water charges coming down the pipeline, logarithmic petrol (excise) price and utility charges increases, rip off retail republic, unequal house charges, a TV licence for a pathetic service, rural V urban divisive septic tank charges, etc etc etc passed on by eye-wool spinning doctors it just seemed rich (pun intended) to publicize a poor service (ref TV Lic above) as SAOR????? view.

That was a completely independent non-political party broadcast on behalf of 1 of the vast majority of Irish people who are been scammed from a myriad of angles but from a single source: different party colours but the same revolving Dail door policies.
    This broadcast will terminate on the 24th of October unless of course you can afford the €70 for the free PC-top box.........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,702 ✭✭✭whippet

Having had doomed to failure austerity piled upon forced emigration piled upon water charges coming down the pipeline, logarithmic petrol (excise) price and utility charges increases, rip off retail republic, unequal house charges, a TV licence for a pathetic service, rural V urban divisive septic tank charges, etc etc etc passed on by eye-wool spinning doctors it just seemed rich (pun intended) to publicize a poor service (ref TV Lic above) as SAOR????? view.

That was a completely independent non-political party broadcast on behalf of 1 of the vast majority of Irish people who are been scammed from a myriad of angles but from a single source: different party colours but the same revolving Dail door policies.
    This broadcast will terminate on the 24th of October unless of course you can afford the €70 for the free PC-top box.........

sounds like you have a lot of other issues .. but sticking to what your original complaint was ... yes the service is free, how you access the service is up to yourself... hence saorVIEW .. the viewing is free.

If you can't grasp that that would be your own issue but then again you can bring the horse to water but you can't make them drink it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

The voiceless need to get a new spokesperson.

The existing one clearly hasn't got a clue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Jesus that's miserable. Absolutely miserable. And I'd take issue with it being a "pathetic" service. RTE is actually a quite decent all rounder. Good sports coverage, good currant affairs, a decent sprinkling of US and homegrown shows... There are much worse out there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 745 ✭✭✭Extinction

Saorview is just a free un encripted TV signal. If you own the equipment necessary to view it then you can watch the service. You don't need to watch it and you don't need to pay for any equipment to watch it if you don't want it so I don't see what your complaint is. Its just a free broadcast.

Maybe you should also take at the false advertising about free to air satellite, how dare the likes of BBC & ITV broadcast their signal free and then we have to buy a satellite dish, receiver, maybe pay somebody to install it and then pay a tv licence as well. Sure was any tv ever free? I always had to fork out for a television and I have to pay even more if if I want a picture on a bigger screen. Why dont you go down to LIdl or Aldi the next time they are selling free to air satellite kits and ask them how can they be free when you have to pay for them for the kits and let us know how you get on.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

If we are to go by the OPs logic , every single free offer is false advertising.
    Perhaps he could give an example of how anything could be free using his interpretations?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

I think the internet is free too but you need a computer and a broadband subscription and electricity to get at all that free information....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 745 ✭✭✭Extinction

I think the internet is free too but you need a computer and a broadband subscription and electricity to get at all that free information....

You'll soon need a licence for that too as there is a proposal to scrap the TV licence and bring one in to cover all media devices capable of receiving a tv signal including PC's and smart phones even if you don't watch tv on them.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/rabbitte-proposed-broadcasting-charge-not-a-new-household-charge-536499.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

Stupidest thread of the year award - winner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

quick word of warning : when you go to the Advertising Authority of Ireland to complain, if you wish to park in their car park and avail of their so-called "free parking" you'll be expected to have bought your own car first .Bloody rip off yet another stealth tax .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,096 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

There are a lot more "free" things than Saorview to complain about handing over money for, like free education for instance.

Advertisement