Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who was the most flawed genius of all time?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

Axl Rose

He's just an enormous arsehole, in my opinion.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 702 ✭✭✭goodie2shoes

shane magowan:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I vote TeddyTedson - no doubt a genius the suffers from the mental!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

LordSmeg wrote: »
    Alan Turing was another one who got a raw deal. Poor old sod caught the ghey and it all went downhill.

Mod

He wasn't flawed though, can we stay on topic.

Sorry but you're wrong. He was flawed for the time he was living in. It caused him great pain and drove him to suicide due to cultural climate etc.
    It want something that was wrong with him. Not a personal flaw, but a flaw for the time he lived in. mores the pity.
    No need for knee jerk reaction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

Shryke wrote: »
    Sorry but you're wrong. He was flawed for the time he was living in. It caused him great pain and drove him to suicide due to cultural climate etc.
    It want something that was wrong with him. Not a personal flaw, but a flaw for the time he lived in. mores the pity.
    No need for knee jerk reaction.

No knee jerk at all, in this the present day, he wasn't flawed.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

plasmaguy wrote: »
    It's a total myth that Hitler was genius, he was anything but, he was an uneducated beerhall thug for the most part who brought the German people to their knees rather than helped them.

His constant interfering cost Germany the war.

He made mistake after mistake including badly treating the people he conquered who eventually rose up against him.

There are so many examples of his stupidity its beyond a joke.

So?

You can be those things and still a genius. He still almost took over Europe with his ideals. You give that a shot and see how easy it is. I'll wait. A scumbag and may he rot, but definitely a genius.

In fact, a genius is more likely to possess these traits than the average schmuck.

Mistakes?

Mistakes do not make an individual any less of a genius, merely human.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭beano345

the unabomber

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭donegal_man

Richard Wagner. Genius: Composed some of the most transcendentally beautiful music of all time and revolutionized the way opera is performed.
    Flawed: Exploited his friends especially Giacomo Meyerbeer who lent him the money to stage Rienzi, his first success and who was later abused horribly in Wagner's writings. Was so convinced of his own superiority to others that he alienated virtually everyone who came in contact with him and of course an avowed and virulent anti-semite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Steve Jobs

One of the most succusful business executives of all time

I read the Walter Isaacson book about him and he was whining, petty and childish asshole

Was given up for adoption which had a huge affect on his life.
    And then when he became a parent he walked out and abandoned his daughter, what a ****.

Would daily range from screaming to crying to everything inbetween.
    HTFU man and keep your emotions in check

Finished that book and pretty much every bad habit and personality trait that I hate, Jobs had it

However as someone said on boards a few months back, nice people don't make it to the top of corporations. Nice people get nice results was a quote somewhere.
    You need to ruthless, power hungry and possibly cruel to get there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭St.Spodo

Hitler was anything but a genius in military terms. His early military successes were the work of his general such as von Manstein. Hitler made some monumental mistakes during the war. In terms of genius, you could argue his genius lay in speaking and his ability to ensure the loyalty and support of the masses, although fear and terror played a part in this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

Shryke wrote: »
    Tesla. He had many quirks but what let him down was that he was decent and good in a world full of pricks.
    robbie7730 wrote: »
    He was the first I thought of when I seen the thread title. Judging by today`s world, he would still have the same let down as in his own time.

The Oatmeal has a great poster on Tesla.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

Thomas Midgley.

He introduced lead to petrol to stop engines from knocking, and to improve reliability and efficiency.

He then went on to invent the CFC, also in an attempt to improve efficiency, and to replace the supposedly more dangerous gases used in refrigeration at the time.

He was held in very high esteem while alive, including being voted onto the United States National Academy of Sciences. It was only after his death that people discovered the utter devastation that leaded petrol and CFC gases caused to the environment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Had to look up this Tesla fella...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Sergeant wrote: »
    Thomas Midgley.

He introduced lead to petrol to stop engines from knocking, and to improve reliability and efficiency.

He then went on to invent the CFC, also in an attempt to improve efficiency, and to replace the supposedly more dangerous gases used in refrigeration at the time.

He was held in very high esteem while alive, including being voted onto the United States National Academy of Sciences. It was only after his death that people discovered the utter devastation that leaded petrol and CFC gases caused to the environment.

He didn't have the most flawless of deaths either. After becoming disabled he designed a pulley system so that others could help him get out of bed, but ended up strangling himself on the wires.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭mr kr0nik

George Best.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

Oranage2 wrote: »

Damn, beat me to it. Our Teddy really does start the most abstract of posts.

My second choice is Deus Ex Machina - blow up dolls, whiskey on erect penises, traumatising his friends etc. Legend ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭General Relativity

Grigori Perelman. -It's doubtful you've heard of him unless you've an intrest in maths.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

Only a genius can evaluate another genius .Most of us can't .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Tesla all the way.
    Think about the towers!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Artemis Fowl, obviously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Any key?

I would have thought Emily Dickenson.
    Wierd,lonery,lady who locked herself in a gaff.
    But oh.my.days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

Bruce Banner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭hyperborean

Napolean was up there with her hitler

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,520 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Sergeant wrote: »

There was some pretty good evidence that lead tetraethy was dangerous, not least from deaths in the plant. These things get conveniently brushed aside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

delad wrote: »
    Pete Doherty

Genius me hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Hitler was far from a genius...more like psycopath with a lot of guns,bombs,tanks and followers nothing more...

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭flanno_7hi

Russell "Stringer" Bell.

Zinedine Zidane and the nerd in me would say A.C. Clarke and Tesla.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭donegal_road

Mozart, Caravagio, or Hendrix

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭du Maurier

Peter O'Hanraha-Hanrahan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

kraggy wrote: »
    Genius me hole.

Dirty junkie more like.

• Advertisement

Al Gore

He invented the internet.
    If he followed up properly he could have become the richest man in the world

Instead he went off to focus on something else

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭du Maurier

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Al Gore

He invented the internet.
    If he followed up properly he could have become the richest man in the world

Instead he went off to focus on something else

He did not:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

du Maurier wrote: »

He did too and he also taught Elvis Presley how to play karate.
    WatchWolf wrote: »
    Perhaps not a genius, but Charles Manson was actually a very talented musician.

I was going to disagree, but thought I should educate myself more on some of his stuff. Not bad...

du Maurier wrote: »

Yes he did

There would be no boards.ie if it wasn't for Al Gore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

juan.kerr wrote: »
    Dirty junkie more like.

The genius of Mr Doherty is that he has been able to ride Kate Moss, make a decent living out of peddling his diabolical music and appear on tv the odd time all whilst having zero discernbile talent and with a face like scarecrow after being left out in a storm.

Miserable toerag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭mongdesade

Lenny Bruce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

I think it has to be Hitler.
    Revolutionised the medical world, wanted to create a master race, he fits the bill perfectly.
    I don't think anyone can trump him,
    but lets see...

You forgot how he was an economic genius also.

Pity about the whole 6 million jews thing.

Kinda put a smear on his CV

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,520 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Talking about Nazi types: Hjalmar Schacht and Albert Speer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭FlawedGenius

Me:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

I'm gonna have to, rather predictably on my part (:pac:) go with Beethoven. He was a music genius who created some of the most iconic and most loved pieces in the entire world. He was at least 100 years ahead of his time in terms of using dissonance and resolution in his music. He wrote some of his best works (such as Symphony 9 and the Missa Solemnis) after he became totally deaf. Yet it's thought that he inadvertently afflicted himself with deafness by repeatedly submerging his head in ice cold water as a young man in an attempt to stay awake at night.

He was also a grumpy and irritable man with few friends, who tended to alienate most of the people around him (although he did have a small, close-knit circle around him his entire life). He rather cruelly took custody of his nephew after his brother's death in a desperate attempt to make his own family (he never married and was rather unlucky in love throughout his life). He refused to allow this nephew any contact with his mother as he thought she was unworthy. Lastly, he allowed Schindler to continue being his secretary despite showing himself to be a thief and a despicable human being. Schindler destroyed over half of the written sources that existed about Beethoven after his death so that he could write a fabricated biography that pleased him.

He also had to revise his one and only opera Leonore (now Fidelio) three times; the first two editions were financial failures due to Beethoven's refusal to admit the deep flaws within his work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

rednik wrote: »
    George Best of course.
    mr kr0nik wrote: »
    George Best.

The wife beating alcoholic,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Newton spent 20 years in isolation trying to decode the formula for turning stuff into gold from the bible after he published his Principa Mathematica.

Hes was apparently very socially dysfunctional for alot of his life until he packed in the alchemy after 20 years of failure and married someone thereafter

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭BarnhallBull

mattjack wrote: »
    The wife beating alcoholic,

I think that might be the flawed bit...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Jesus Christ - lived at home with his mum until well into his twenties, lousy carpenter and worse fisherman by all accounts (they're called fish not men for a reason), never got a paying job - just lived on handouts, had the gift of the gab and founded a World Religion.
    Unfortunately it ended badly (or did it ?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Oranage2 wrote: »
    more like a retard mental but suffers from occasional sanity:pac::P
    Alex Higgins?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Garrincha also deserves to be a contender.
    Amazing footballer with bandy knees, an alcoholic and apparently lost his virginity to a goat...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Van Morrison. Musical genius. Grumpy cunt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Jesus Christ - lived at home with his mum until well into his twenties, lousy carpenter and worse fisherman by all accounts (they're called fish not men for a reason), never got a paying job - just lived on handouts, had the gift of the gab and founded a World Religion.
    Unfortunately it ended badly (or did it ?)

I'm convinced he got his beliefs in the east maybe around the Hindu Kush region, Its possible he done what a lot of youth at the time in his region did and travelled east. Sure isn't there a gap of several years in his life story....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

God

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,036 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Newton spent 20 years in isolation trying to decode the formula for turning stuff into gold from the bible after he published his Principa Mathematica.
    Another vote for Isaac Newton here. On top of the Alchemy stuff, he lost a lot of money when the South Sea Bubble burst, and got in to very nasty wars of words with Leibnitz over Calculus, abusing his position in the Royal Society to that end.

He remained an unorthodox religious nutter who wrote more on the Bible and the Occult than he did on Science - though that wasn't all that unusual for the time. He was appointed a Fellow of Trinity College, Cambridge, and that meant he was obligated to become an ordained priest in the Church of England. (He managed to put that off and eventually got an exemption from the King.) He tried to "rationalise" religion, but only up to the point where it ran in to his fundamental irrational beliefs.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Advertisement
Advertisement