Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canada: Activate iec visa from within Vancouver

• 08-06-2012 12:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi there I'm wondering if anyone here can tell me exactly what to do to activate my visa, I'm currently in Vancouver at the moment and heard I will have to travel down to seattle or Bellingham to activate the visa? A few things I'm concerned about is how to getting the right place and also do I need to get an esta visa to enter the US?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 149 ✭✭paraicr

You dont need an esta unless you are travelling by air. When passing through by land you need a visitor visa (green card). You just fill out the form at the border crsoosing and pay 6 US dollars - very straightforward, you just need your passport. Green card is valid for 3 months and you can enter in and out of us by land as many times as you want in this time.

You should be able to get your work permit at any canadian emmigration centre. The border officer will direct you to the office when you arrive at the border.

You dont have to go to seattle or bellingham, just cross the border and then come straight back again. its known as 'flagpolling'.

Just bring all your documents with you and explain what ou are doing to US and Canadian official when questioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 mattmattmatt

Ok man thanks for the advice, so i get the green card at the american border ? do u know the best way to get to the border. Is the immigration centre close to the border?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 149 ✭✭paraicr

They're the same building practically. Not sure about the best way to get down there if you dont have your own transport. I have heard of people getting their visas renewed at the airport, not sure about that one myself though.

You might not even need the green card if you just tell them that your flagpolling, again not sure about that, but its only 6 bucks anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 667 ✭✭✭DazzlerIE

You can't activate the visa at YVR, I tried last year, went up to immigration and they wouldn't do it for me

you physically have to leave the country. Flagpole down at Peace Arch and you're golden

• Registered Users Posts: 12 mattmattmatt

thanks for that info Dazzler, could you give any insight on how to get to Peace Arch from Downtown?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 667 ✭✭✭DazzlerIE

thanks for that info Dazzler, could you give any insight on how to get to Peace Arch from Downtown?

I got a lift down off my housemate

if you drive, rent a car, or else get the bus down

Weekend down in Seattle, activate your visa on the way back

Advertisement