Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dog sitter needed for 1 day

Options
  • 08-06-2012 12:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

We are going to Achill Island for 1 week in June and are bringing our dog . The day we leave to go home we want to walk the Tochar walk ( from Ballintubber Abbey to Croagh Patrick ) but we cant bring the dog as the walk crosses farmland . So we are looking for a safe place to leave her for the day . We would need to drop her off about 8am and would be collecting her sometime between 7pm - 8pm preferably in the Westport /Castlebar / Ballintubber area . Any offers ? She is a gentle collie x terrier aged 4 .

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭voz es

I have no help for you on the dog issue. But you might be interested to know that the walk you mention starts in Balla ( its a town located on the road between castlebar and claremorris) just behind the square. safe to say its another 5 miles added to your journey :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

there's a kennels/cattery in balla you know, cnoc na gaoithe i think it's called. i've never used them but they seem to get a lot of local recommendations. there's also a kennels attached to a vet's in westport, someone else on here might be able to give you feedback on them.

i'd take her for the day [love dogs] but i'm miles away from any of the towns you mentioned.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

The kennels in Westport, on "the lodge road", are good from what my sister says, she has used them a good few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 auldstock

cnoc na gaoithe in shraheens is very good, beth and trev who run it are lovely people, our dog always runs for the entrance door and scrathes it to get in when we leave her there, thats a good sign as far as i'm concerned (if she was cowering in the car afraid to get out we'd be a bit worried about how they were treating her). ***No phone numbers**

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Mayo Miss

voz es wrote: »
    I have no help for you on the dog issue. But you might be interested to know that the walk you mention starts in Balla ( its a town located on the road between castlebar and claremorris) just behind the square. safe to say its another 5 miles added to your journey :)
    Are you sure the walk starts in Balla?

I always thought it started at the Abbey in Ballintubber and went nowhere near Balla.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 felicitygath

Thanks to all who replied - I have tried all the usual kennels - Cnoc na Gaoithe , Lodge Vet Hospital ,Owenwee but they wouldnt be open late enough in the evening for us to collect her - approx 8pm . I have an offer from Hollybarn which I will probably go with although it is a bit further than we wanted . It means 1 1/2 hours drive to drop her off then 40 mins to get to Ballintubber Abbey for 8.30 am ! So looks like an early start ! I just thought some kind dog lover who lives near to the Abbey might be interested ?

As regards the start of the Tochar walk , the one we want to do starts at the Abbey on 30th June . Maybe there are others that start in Balla on different dates ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

eek, that IS an early start. and none of them would bend their times a bit as a once-off?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

I can recommend a lady in clonbur not sure if that would be any use?

No I think that would be even further thanks anyway .

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭smallfry

PM sent

• Advertisement

Thanks again to all who tried to help .

I have received a very kind offer from a member to mind Sammy for the day along with their own dog so she will have company ! Now all we need is a bit of dry weather !

Advertisement