Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relocation Cost - What to claim

Options
  • 08-06-2012 1:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hi guys,

I am relocating to Ireland and my company will provide me with some help. They told me that only a few expenses can be claim and pointed me out to this info:

http://www.revenue.ie/en/personal/circumstances/moving/remuneration-packages.html#sec6

Unfortunately I could only find a few examples there, but not the full list of what can be claim, for example the cost of renting a place...

Do any of you, know where I can find this info?

Many thanks,

Marco
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Daxve

The cost of renting a place to live would not be covered as a relocation cost as you are going to have to find somewhere to live anyway. Tax free relocation expenses are meant to cover expenses that you would not normally have incurred had you not had to relocate because of your job such as travel expenses. There is no set list as every situation is different and you only need to show that the expense was necessary and reasonable. You would need to look at actual legislation if you want a definitive answer Revenue guides are just that guides they have no legal basis.

You may be able to claim for some temporary rental accommodation if you have to find a place temporarily before or just after relocating there is no fixed time for how long you could claim this you would just need to show that it was a reasonable amount of time required to find a permanent place to live. Again this depends on how long you are relocating for if you where relocating for a month or 2 it would be reasonable to claim all of this. If it's a permanent relocation you would expected to pay for your own rent or pay benefit in kind if your employer continues to pay it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭Shane732

Are you claiming these from your employer?

Ultimately, you can claim whatever your employer is willing to pay you for! Depending on the type of expenditure you might be subject to taxation on the income you receive.

Advertisement