Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any Colic remedies to share?

Options
  • 08-06-2012 1:16am
    Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, my 3 week old seems to be suffering from Colic. We thought Infacol was helping but the last two evenings/nights he has been roaring his head off in pain. :( He seems to be quite windy for a breastfed baby, farting loads but when he is screaming there is no wind to relieve. He does gulp and guzzle his feed so maybe taking in more air than he should.

He is exclusively breast fed, so I cant use the solutions that require being added to the bottle.

I got fennel tea and nursing tea today and have had one cup so far. I plan on ringing the PHN tomorrow to discuss it with her anyway to make sure it is in fact colic and not something else.

What worked for your little one?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭bstar

could it be silent reflux? is he arching or anything, does he cry harder when you lay him down flat?

my dd, now 10 weeks, was always screaming in the evening in pain and gulping her feeds, we also thought it was colic and then it just seemed to get worse and she'd only settle when kept at an angle or upright. Her ped diagnosed silent reflux and put her on medication for it and the difference is amazing 2nd night after medicine was a different baby altogether. She gets her medicine 30mins before a feed so wouldnt affect breastfeeding.

if you suspect that you can get baby gaviscon in all chemists. just a sugestion though obviously go to a doctor for a diagnosis. they say 70%of colic babies are actually reflux babies

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Thanks for the quick response :)

That sounds familiar - I feed him and he is all lovely and relaxed, maybe burps a little, hates being laid flat, and we can only do that when he has fell asleep either on the breast or curled up on my chest. Daytime I can lay him straight in his moses basket sometimes and he sleeps well but its the evening feeds that are the problem.

If we manage to send him off to sleep in a mostly upright position, after about 30 mins being laid flat (maybe up to an hour after a feed) he goes rigid, with the arms and legs straight out, arches his back, and its a sudden pained yell that he does, almost as if it takes him by surprise, not the kind of cry when he is hungry (which is more like a wail)

Righto, a trip to the doc is in order so. The poor little dude is knackered because he cant sleep.

look up some information about it before you go, ive been told a lot of doctors in ireland havent heard of silent reflux and only believe in normal reflux where the baby is being sick everywhere. if you go in prepared you should have a better result.

silent reflux means the baby is swallowing it back down again and not getting rid of the acid at all. its a heart breaking painful cry hopefully you'll get the wee fella sorted soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Neyite do you have an oversupply of milk and/or a fast letdown? Does your milk come out in a spray? Does your little one bob on and off the breast while feeding as if he can't keep swallowing?

Do you let him drain one breast at his own time and then offer the other one or give 5 minutes on each as we're often told to do by the midwives and phns.

Are you doing laid back breastfeeding or do you feed sitting up?

I think before assuming your little lad has silent reflux you should look at how he is feeding. If you have an oversupply and/or a fast letdown (they usually come together but not always) then block feeding from one breast, feeding from one breast for 2-3 feeds, may help. Also hand expressing until you get the letdown may help as once the letdown comes the force of the milk spurting eases.

Look laid back breastfeeding up on you tube as its the biologically normal way for us to feed so the baby isn't getting the force of the milk if you know what I mean.

Two absolutely invaluable websites for breastfeeding mums are Dr. Jack Newman (a Canadian paediatrician and all round breastfeeding guru - google his name for his website) and kellymom. Jack Newman will even email you back if you mail him with a question.

Wind is a very common problem even in exclusively breastfed babies. My son was tortured with it up to 11 weeks and then it just stopped. I wouldn't recommend over the counter products from pharmacies as they're designed for formula fed babies as formula is very hard to digest. Breast milk is almost 100% digestible. I used to drink fennel and chamomile tea and I gave him gripe water in the bad days and that worked. You can order it on line from pharmacy co uk and they'll deliver to the south.

If you think it isn't an oversupply or letdown issue then you may want to get him checked for tongue tie. You'll find it hard to get a healthcare professional here who's qualified to check but you a la Leche league/ciudiu counsellor could check. It's only after ruling these things out that I'd consider silent reflux as the possible cause.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Neyite wrote: »

What worked for your little one?

I'm going to be a parrot again, I know people are sick of me harping on about it in here, but the only thing that worked for us was Cranial Osteopathy..

My Son had very severe colic though, and some other problems resulting from a rough birth.

• Advertisement

I've heard amazing things about cranial osteopathy for babies.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Thanks a million for the reply:
    Neyite do you have an oversupply of milk and/or a fast letdown?
    I just checked La Leche website and some of this does fit- below is their checklist with my answers in bold:
    Baby cries a lot, and is often very irritable and/or restless: YES
    Baby may sometimes gulp, choke, sputter, or cough during feedings at breast YES
    Baby may seem to bite or clamp down on the nipple while feeding Sometimes
    Milk sprays when baby comes off, especially at the beginning of a feeding No
    Mother may have sore nipples No
    Baby may arch and hold himself very stiffly, sometimes screaming YES
    Feedings often seem like battles, with baby nursing fitfully on and off
    Feedings may be short, lasting only 5 or 10 minutes total Sometimes
    Baby may seem to have a "love-hate" relationship with the breast
    Baby may burp or pass gas frequently between feedings, tending to spit up a lot Does one or two big burp usually or none, farts a lot, does not spit up a lot, but on 3 occasions a lot has came up, and was kind of projectile cominig through his nose
    Baby may have green, watery or foamy, explosive stools No
    Mother's breasts feel very full most of the time No
    Mother may have frequent plugged ducts, which can sometimes lead to mastitis (breast infection) No
    Does your milk come out in a spray?
    No, never has, drips though in the morning if breast is very full.
    Does your little one bob on and off the breast while feeding as if he can't keep swallowing?
    Yes, he gulps then gags, so comes off and I sit him up to swallow, then he is grand to go back on.
    Do you let him drain one breast at his own time and then offer the other one or give 5 minutes on each as we're often told to do by the midwives and phns.
    I am careful to let him drain the breast fully before I offer the other one, ignoring the mother who says to do it 10 mins per side. My PHN said that if he is only getting the foremilk his nappies will be greenish, but if he is getting the hind milk they will be mustard coloured and have "mustard seed" appearance - which his always do.
    Are you doing laid back breastfeeding or do you feed sitting up?
    I started out with him lying almost horizontal, but tried laid back BF yesterday and he still had pain afterwards. So I have him now almost sitting on my lap so he is diaganol, to see if gravity helped his pain.
    I think before assuming your little lad has silent reflux you should look at how he is feeding. If you have an oversupply and/or a fast letdown (they usually come together but not always) then block feeding from one breast, feeding from one breast for 2-3 feeds, may help. Also hand expressing until you get the letdown may help as once the letdown comes the force of the milk spurting eases.

Look laid back breastfeeding up on you tube as its the biologically normal way for us to feed so the baby isn't getting the force of the milk if you know what I mean.

Two absolutely invaluable websites for breastfeeding mums are Dr. Jack Newman (a Canadian paediatrician and all round breastfeeding guru - google his name for his website) and kellymom. Jack Newman will even email you back if you mail him with a question.

Wind is a very common problem even in exclusively breastfed babies. My son was tortured with it up to 11 weeks and then it just stopped. I wouldn't recommend over the counter products from pharmacies as they're designed for formula fed babies as formula is very hard to digest. Breast milk is almost 100% digestible. I used to drink fennel and chamomile tea and I gave him gripe water in the bad days and that worked. You can order it on line from pharmacy co uk and they'll deliver to the south.

If you think it isn't an oversupply or letdown issue then you may want to get him checked for tongue tie. You'll find it hard to get a healthcare professional here who's qualified to check but you a la Leche league/ciudiu counsellor could check. It's only after ruling these things out that I'd consider silent reflux as the possible cause.

I bought fennel tea yesterday, and another nursing herbal tea that has fennel, caraway, lemon balm etc. Also, I've stuck to the same foods I ate during pregnany as the PHN suggested that he was already used to those in my system and I've avoided any "new" foods in case it triggered his pain.

From 2pm yesterday he only dozed for about an hour or so each time- pain would wake him up and the only thing that would soothe him is a feed, which would send him off to sleep, only to wake up 30 mins later screaming in pain. He finally exhausted himself out at 6am. :( The day before it wasnt as long but he still had that pattern in the evening from about 8pm until 4am. So he is not getting proper rest I think. During the day, he will feed, burp and sleep like a textbook baby. This morning after he went down at 6am, he woke at 8am and took a short feed, & straight back to sleep then at 10am and 12 am the same.

I will try to do laidback nursing today for all his feeds and see how it goes.

Xzanti - can you tell me more about Cranial Osteopathy? Someone did touch the baby's head when he was a few days old and said it was that they were doing but I didnt understand it - it just looked like she was stroking his hair.

Thanks so much for your suggestions - I'm open to all ideas on how to stop his pain.

T
    Xzanti - can you tell me more about Cranial Osteopathy? Someone did touch the baby's head when he was a few days old and said it was that they were doing but I didnt understand it - it just looked like she was stroking his hair.

Here's a little info here, but there's loads on Google about it http://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=cranial%20osteopathy%20for%20babies&source=web&cd=1&sqi=2&ved=0CG8QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cranial.org.uk%2Fpage3.html&ei=T_PRT5yfHsrQhAf1yu3NAw&usg=AFQjCNFCZ-alBTVmK3a-v8YwopUFNNlKxg

Who touched his head when he was born? Was she an Osteopath?

Osteopaths are highly skilled, some say that they have 'magic hands' :D what they do is just very very gentle manipulation of the baby's limbs and neck.. but it doesn't hurt them in the slightest.. My Son seemed to actually enjoy it.

I swear by it.. I know this sounds crazy, but the shape of my Son's head and face seemed to change after he had his sessions.. it was like a load of tension had been lifted off him.. it was amazing.

And people are always commenting on how content he is in himself.. from a baby who couldn't be consoled and screamed crying night and day, to such a happy, well rounded baby.. I wanted to go back and pay her more money LOL :D;)

No, she wasnt an Osteopath Xzanti, just a family member. She literally put her fingertips of one hand on different parts of his head, no manipulation or massage.

Thanks for the link, will have a look now. :)

Edit: Could you pm me the Osteopath that you used?

my dd was also breastfed until recently when we had to stop for other reasons. The gaviscon you can use even when breastfeeding.

Also it took a while to realise she had reflux as they thought it was letdown issues with her aswell as my milk would come in a spray. Thats why I said id throw out the reflux suggestion as the phn seemed to dismiss it and try to find issues with the breastfeeding instead.

Hopefully it is a feeding issue instead as it will be easier resolved.

oh and my dd had a tongue tie now snipped but that didnt make her gulp as she couldnt get enough but it did make her scream and constantly feed as she wouldnt be getting enough. Her tie was very obvious though, her wee tongue is still heart shaped even though it was cut quickly.

• Advertisement

wow bstar you seemed have had lots of obstacles to overcome. Silent reflux is meant to be a horrible thing. I know how painful heartburn during pregnancy can be so I can only imagine how awful reflux is for a little baby.

we had a few but thankfully my pediatrician is great even if the health visitor sucks!

Hopefully cranio makes a difference if you try it neyite, it was on our list to try but the baby is flying now on her medicine so Im not going to risk rocking the boat.

Neyite perhaps try cutting out dairy and see if that helps. If there is an intolerance or an allergy they can get it from the mother through the milk.

I'd also suggest emailing your posts to Dr Jack Newman and see if he has any advice.l

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

Neyite, does your baby make clicking sounds at all while nursing?

PM Sent :)

Neyite perhaps try cutting out dairy and see if that helps. If there is an intolerance or an allergy they can get it from the mother through the milk.

I'd also suggest emailing your posts to Dr Jack Newman and see if he has any advice.l
    I take very little dairy, but I will cut down further.
    liliq wrote: »
    Neyite, does your baby make clicking sounds at all while nursing?

No, not that I can hear anyway, mostly just gulping and spluttering.

I called the local pharmacy, but he said that baby was too young yet for infant galvascon without prescription and suggested Colief, so I've just expressed a couple of ounces so we can add the drops to it and see if that works.

I'm also drinking the nursing tea and fennel tea. I'll mention the tongue tie at his next meet with the doc or nurse.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions! :)

He seems calmer tonight, he might get a good sleep tonight hopefully.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

Neyite this isn't helpful really but - was just like that - the only ting that helped us was time :( at about 14 weeks she suddenly could fart without screaming - it was the farts that seemed to upset her the most - and she farted a lot! I did find cycling her legs helped a bit and gently rubbing her tummy in a clockwise motion. It would help to pass the gas. I think gripe water would have helped maybe but couldn't find it anywhere - even online everyone was out of stock - that was about 8 wks ago now tho. But I think it was just an immature gut - I think she literally just needed to grow! No consolation at the time I know! It's hard going!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

No, not that I can hear anyway, mostly just gulping and spluttering.

I called the local pharmacy, but he said that baby was too young yet for infant galvascon without prescription and suggested Colief, so I've just expressed a couple of ounces so we can add the drops to it and see if that works.

I'm also drinking the nursing tea and fennel tea. I'll mention the tongue tie at his next meet with the doc or nurse.

If you continue having probs, you can see a lactation consultant in the hospital you attended for free up until 6 weeks. PHNs and GPs often dismiss tongue tie- I had various people tell me that it doesn't exist/ cause problems, and they often can't recognise them, paticularly posterior tongue tie. etc. A lactation consultant is trained specifically in breastfeeding problems, so well worth looking into meeting one if you can.

Really hope it all settles soon! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭I am a friend

Op I am not a medical professional but my baby has struggled with silent reflux for the last 6 months. A lot of the symptoms you describe sound the same as my baby had / has. I would suggest not going for any type of treatments until you get a diagnosis from a doctor.

Silent reflux is horrendous so I would get baba checked out ASAP. Oh and before you go keep a detailed diary of baby's feeding time, movements and also all symptoms, no matter how small, for min three days as this will help them with the diagnosis. This will also negate any 'first time paranoid mother' responses you could get from the doctor. If you don't get satisfaction go to another doc. My baby only slept for more than 4 hours for the first time last week. Had to get a second opinion as the a&e doc was overdosing him on losec!!! Go with your gut but also be prepared with your diary etc. Btw reflux is worse at night, hence the poor sleeping patterns.

Hope it's not sf. Good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭I am a friend

I mean 'hope it's not sr'

• Advertisement

Thanks everyone! :)

Now last night it was like I had a different baby - he slept most of yesterday, and last night, with the exception of about an hour where he was in pain and crying. So a big improvement :D

Now, a couple of things that may have helped:

He was just knackered out from two previous days of crying and broken sleep - though he seemed relaxed and calm, and not rigid like he was previously.

I also began drinking nursing tea containing fennel, we gave him Colief, and also I did laid-back nursing (which though he seemed to drink less, falling asleep on the breast) there was definately less gulping and gagging. We also elevated his matteress and kept him upright for about 30 mins after a feed.

Today and tonight, I'll do the same and see if its a once off or not. :) I will also get the GP to check for a tongue tie and discuss reflux the next time I'm in if there is not much improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭mrsberries

My daughter showed signs of it from birth - cried almost constantly for the first three weeks. I think I actually was chatting to Xzanti at the time about it. Anyway we brought her to see a fabulous Osteopath in Ranelagh and she emerged the most chilled out baby after 3 sessions. Really recommend it.

mrsberries wrote: »
    My daughter showed signs of it from birth - cried almost constantly for the first three weeks. I think I actually was chatting to Xzanti at the time about it. Anyway we brought her to see a fabulous Osteopath in Ranelagh and she emerged the most chilled out baby after 3 sessions. Really recommend it.

Delighted to hear that mrsberries :D it really is brilliant.. any future babies I have will be brought to an Osteopath whether they have colic or not.. I firmly believe that it 'resets' them :D so to speak following the trauma of birth.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭ocy

xzanti / mrsberries

could you pm me the name of the osteopath you used.

Thanks
    ocy

Advertisement