Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

is anybody supervising the State exams or correcting?

• 08-06-2012 1:44am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 181 ✭✭

Basically what the thread says? anybody doing either of the both??

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I'm sure some are.
    Why do you ask?

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭midlands1

Basically what the thread says? anybody doing either of the both??

I'm not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭doc_17

I'm correcting JCFL Maths. Hoping to have it done in 10 days and not the 26 it said in the letter. Never did it before so maybe I'm being overly optimistic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Do you have to be a teacher, (either current or previously,) to get a job doing this? How do you go about applying to correct or supervise?
    I'm sure it's probably late to apply for this year,but I'd like to know anyway

I don't think you have to be a teacher as long as you hold the required qualifications but I could be wrong about that. Best thing to do is log on to examinations.ie and onto recruitment. The questions will be answered there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Chris68

doc_17 wrote: »
    I'm correcting JCFL Maths. Hoping to have it done in 10 days and not the 26 it said in the letter. Never did it before so maybe I'm being overly optimistic.

Sorry to have to point it out but you are dreaming! Apart from anything else you won't be allowed complete in 10 days. You will be given separate deadlines for each 100 papers. For example, 3 days for the first 100, 5 more days for the second 100 etc. You will also be asked to remark each 100 after they revise the marking scheme and you will get deadlines for each remark also. So you may be marking 100 and remarking 100 at the same time. You will then also be asked to re-remark specified scripts. It is a tough job and very time consuming. You should not plan to have a life for the full 26 days as you will not have time for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭easterbride

I agree with the other OP. You will not be able to finish them within ten days. You are given a marking scheme at the conference but this scheme may change. You will do a sample 20 first and then you have to wait a few days, you cannot move on as the marking scheme may change. Then you are given deadlines for the 1st 100, 2nd 100 etc. You have to send off some scripts so that they are monitored and your work is checked, if you make any errors, you have to recheck all of your work. It is hard work and you can't rush through it as that would be unfair to the students. Good luck ~ it is good experience, you will learn a lot and it can aid your teaching.

I'm still optimistic about not having to work for 12 hours a day for 26 days straight. Marking a foundation will be handy enough although I know they'll probably give me more. If it sucks then I'll never do it again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 98 ✭✭Zizigirl

Hey
    I corrected JCOL last year and I didn't find it that difficult. Depends on what type of a person you are. I got up early, constantly stayed a few days ahead of myself, only did two or three long days in the beginning, ten hours or so and was finished by lunchtime the rest of the days. Best CPD ever. I loved it.

On the other hand some of my colleagues think I'm off my rocker and cannot think of anything worse.
    Enjoy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 181 ✭✭liverpool lad

Zizigirl wrote: »
    Hey
    I corrected JCOL last year and I didn't find it that difficult. Depends on what type of a person you are. I got up early, constantly stayed a few days ahead of myself, only did two or three long days in the beginning, ten hours or so and was finished by lunchtime the rest of the days. Best CPD ever. I loved it.

On the other hand some of my colleagues think I'm off my rocker and cannot think of anything worse.
    Enjoy

That's cool. I would love to correct too!! how many years were you teaching to get to do it? or what exactly did they look for?

• Advertisement

spurious wrote: »
    I'm sure some are.
    Why do you ask?

Just because I wanted to ask people about how many years they have being teaching for before able to do it and qualifications and all that are needed for it!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 98 ✭✭Zizigirl

Zizigirl wrote: »
    Hey

Enjoy

That's cool. I would love to correct too!! how many years were you teaching to get to do it? or what exactly did they look for?

They didn't really ask for anything other than you fill out application form. I was teaching a good while, 4-5 years, before I applied. I didn't get it the first year when I applied but a week before the corrections started I got offered. I think for the main subjects you need to be in the classroom teaching them to a broad range of years, unsure really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

Just because I wanted to ask people about how many years they have being teaching for before able to do it and qualifications and all that are needed for it!!

To be fair it was eleven hours after your original post (and five hours after the post to which you replied) that you got to the questions you now mention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

i do both, but i only correct the exams as i need the money as I dont get paid during the summer. Can not for the life of me understand some teachers who are teaching 10 or so years doing correcting. Seems like pure greed to me as the taxman will see most of it. Very good practice for teachers starting out though

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I think it's something everyone should do at least once or twice for their subjects.
    I wouldn't be queueing up to do it again though, no matter how much they were paying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

i do both, but i only correct the exams as i need the money as I dont get paid during the summer. Can not for the life of me understand some teachers who are teaching 10 or so years doing correcting. Seems like pure greed to me as the taxman will see most of it. Very good practice for teachers starting out though

I find your attitude astonishing and offensive. There are plenty of teachers correcting for many years who are knowledgeable and experienced. How do you expect standards to be maintained in the exam system if correction work was only awarded to new teachers who haven't gone through a full teaching cycle of their subject?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 574 ✭✭✭bdoo

I find your attitude astonishing and offensive. There are plenty of teachers correcting for many years who are knowledgeable and experienced. How do you expect standards to be maintained in the exam system if correction work was only awarded to new teachers who haven't gone through a full teaching cycle of their subject?

I have to agree with rainbowtrout. Also apart from the above some people may depend on their exam work financially regardless of how much the taxman gets. Some people say i wouldn't work for x or y. The bottom line is people will work if they need the money.

In spite of cuts to examiners within the sec there is still an abundance of people to do the work. I understand from a colleague that the superintendent rate has been cut to a per session rate rather than a day rate. Exams seem to be running away fine.

I examined for a few years and learned an awful lot from it. I wouldn't rule it out in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Pure greed? Charming! So the only ones correcting should be young inexperienced teachers who are only doing it because they absolutely have to - hardly a recipe for motivation. You have just contradicted yourself anyway by saying the taxman takes most of it. I corrected for years and while the money did come in handy, my reasons for doing it were I used to find the summer too long and it is the very best CPD you could ever do and it is my students who are reaping the benefits of it.

Seeing as you correct, you should know that it is damn hard work that not everyone can do and after the taxman has taken half it, it is often not worth the money.

Powerhouse wrote: »
    To be fair it was eleven hours after your original post (and five hours after the post to which you replied) that you got to the questions you now mention.

I apologise wholeheartedly for not being sat at my laptop to reply and wait for all the replies to come in so I could reply immediately afterwards. I created a post out of interest, and then mentioned that I would like to do it so gathered information. It was after I had created the thread when someone else mentioned they did it I thought about asking them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

I apologise wholeheartedly for not being sat at my laptop to reply and wait for all the replies to come in so I could reply immediately afterwards. I created a post out of interest, and then mentioned that I would like to do it so gathered information. It was after I had created the thread when someone else mentioned they did it I thought about asking them.

I think Powerhouse meant why didn't you ask about qualifications etc in your opening post instead of dragging it out. Asking if anyone has done supervision/correction is a bit vague.

• Advertisement

If anyone who corrects earns more than 32k pa ten the taxman takes 62% approx of what you earn for correcting. I'm doing it this year to see what it's like but I'd imagine I might not do it again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

62%??

I don't think it's that steep. More like 54%

Anyway, I correct LC OL Biology.
    This is my 3rd year doing it.
    I moved tax credits & SRCOP to the SEC so I get a nice chunk & don't feel like I'm working for nothing.

I know a girl last year who got her €1200 advance in July & ended up owing the SEC €10 when tax was calculated when the final "balance" was paid in Nov.

I finished early ish last year. About 8 days ahead of schedule & that was with 300 scripts.

Discipline is needed. I do 4 x 2 hour sessions per day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

eh maynooth,
    i'm teaching almost 10 years (:eek:) and still not paid for holidays ....
    so still plugging away with the marking !
    on a side note can't wait for the maths guy correcting for the first time to come back on and say he got done in 10 days :D...... ahh to be young and foolish again :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

eh maynooth,
    on a side note can't wait for the maths guy correcting for the first time to come back on and say he got done in 10 days :D...... ahh to be young and foolish again :p

Yeah, especially if you're correcting this project Maths scutter

eh maynooth,

What makes you think I'm young?

Advertisement