Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canada: Flagpoling/Going to USA border to activate new permit

Options
  • 08-06-2012 4:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭

I've been in Canada for the last 12 months and I've recieved acceptance for my 2nd year.

Anyone got any advice for crossing the border to the States? Do I need any visa to cross the USA border. I'm only crossing to activate my new Canadian permit.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭orgaz

jk86 wrote: »
    I've been in Canada for the last 12 months and I've recieved acceptance for my 2nd year.

Anyone got any advice for crossing the border to the States? Do I need any visa to cross the USA border. I'm only crossing to activate my new Canadian permit.

Thanks!

Hey jk86,

What part of Canada are you in?

If you are in Toronto here is what I done;

You dont even have to cross into the states to activate your visa.

I received my 2nd Year visa in March and I activated my visa in Niagra Falls.

I got the megabus down to Niagra Falls, went to 'Rainbow Bridge' (Pedestrian side) paid the 50c to cross. Went to the American side told them I was 'flagpoling' they gave me a piece of paper to hand back to the Canadian side, so I just walked back, went into the Canadian side, gave them the sheet from the US side, told them I was flagpoling, that I have a work permit to activate.

They take your letter of Introduction from the IEC, ask a few questions (didnt even ask for my insurance or proof of funds) although I had them just incase. Was told to take a seat, and within 10mins or less I was called back up to the desk, and my Visa was printed and stapled into my passport. SIMPLES.

The whole process took less than 30mins, and that was even on a Friday evening.

Any questions just drop us a line.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭jk86

Great, thanks! I'm in Toronto and I'm planning on doing it at Niagara Falls too. Thanks for the response. Hope mine goes as easy as yours sounds!

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭greenteaicedtea

I am not sure if this is what you are talking about, but they are going to close the consulate in Buffalo.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/story/2012/05/25/pol-weston-buffalo-consul.html

"the Harper government is putting an end to what became known in immigration circles as the "Buffalo shuffle" by getting rid of the requirement that foreigners have to leave the country for interviews regarding a requested visa change.

Instead, officials say, foreigners wanting to alter their visas will be able to apply and pay the necessary fees online, and if an interview with Canadian officials is necessary, they will be conducted at immigration offices in Canada."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

that's got nothing to do with it at all

completely different thing that will affect nobody on the IEC scheme or, for the most part, nobody irish

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭cybrandian

Hey,

I arrived in Canada on January 5th 2012, so am I right in saying that my visa expires on the 4th January 2013?

I am going home for Christmas, and am looking at flying back on the 4th. Will I be able to activate my 2nd year visa then, or do I need to wait until the 5th?

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

cybrandian wrote: »
    Hey,

I arrived in Canada on January 5th 2012, so am I right in saying that my visa expires on the 4th January 2013?

I am going home for Christmas, and am looking at flying back on the 4th. Will I be able to activate my 2nd year visa then, or do I need to wait until the 5th?

Thanks.

Should be able to do it on the 4th

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Berzerker

Just noticed this thread d'oh. So just to make sure I understand I can just do exactly what orgaz did as ill be going to kitchener area. I would just do it when I arrive at the airport but seems a waste untill I find work maybe, I duno :s

Berzerker wrote: »
    Just noticed this thread d'oh. So just to make sure I understand I can just do exactly what orgaz did as ill be going to kitchener area. I would just do it when I arrive at the airport but seems a waste untill I find work maybe, I duno :s

dont activate it the first time you enter the country

enter as a tourist. you cant work without a social insurance number, and you cant get a social insurance number without activating your visa, so it's not like you're going to be earning illegally. tell them you will be activating a visa, however you're entering the country as a tourist first to decide what part you want to spend your year in

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭bugle

what insurance did you use? i was hoping to extend my plan with backpackerinsurance.ie but theyre closed on weekends it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 50ton

Hello,

my visa runs out on the 23rd, if i go a week before my visa expires, will my next visa run from the 23rd or from the date i visit the niagara falls border?

thanks!

• Advertisement

50ton wrote: »
    Hello,

my visa runs out on the 23rd, if i go a week before my visa expires, will my next visa run from the 23rd or from the date i visit the niagara falls border?

thanks!

a year from the day you activate it

Advertisement