Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat getting attacked

• 08-06-2012 6:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭

I was woken up by the sound of cats screaming in the garden at 3am. My cat was being ripped around by a much bigger cat. I went down and got my guy out of it and he was pumping blood out of his ear and one of his legs.

One emergency trip to the vet and a few stitches later he is asleep beside me.

The cat that attacked him is a wild cat that has taken a serious shine to our garden and seems to think its his, this cat never showed up before and only started coming into the garden in the last few months. We never fed him and always shooed him out.

He is pretty massive , twice the size of our guy. This is the 3rd time he has attacked our guy in the space of 2 weeks and he has never hurt him this bad.

Theres no wardens in my area that will take this cat away, and my guy wont stay inside he is an outdoor cat. Can anyone give me any idea how to keep this cat out of my garden. I know cats fight but hes seriously starting to hurt my guy.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Cats can be seriously vicous towards each other. Can I ask is your cat male or female and are they neutered?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭u_c_thesecond

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    Cats can be seriously vicous towards each other. Can I ask is your cat male or female and are they neutered?

he is a male and yes he is nutered

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭spacecookie555

I was woken up by the sound of cats screaming in the garden at 3am. My cat was being ripped around by a much bigger cat. I went down and got my guy out of it and he was pumping blood out of his ear and one of his legs.

One emergency trip to the vet and a few stitches later he is asleep beside me.

The cat that attacked him is a wild cat that has taken a serious shine to our garden and seems to think its his, this cat never showed up before and only started coming into the garden in the last few months. We never fed him and always shooed him out.

He is pretty massive , twice the size of our guy. This is the 3rd time he has attacked our guy in the space of 2 weeks and he has never hurt him this bad.

Theres no wardens in my area that will take this cat away, and my guy wont stay inside he is an outdoor cat. Can anyone give me any idea how to keep this cat out of my garden. I know cats fight but hes seriously starting to hurt my guy.

Hey OP I hope your poor kitty is ok!! Have you contacted the ISPCA yet?? They're currently running a spay drive where they trap, neuter and return feral cats to the wild. At least if the wild cat was neutered he might not be half as vicious or territorial, it could be worth a try? Heres a link for more info;

http://www.pets.ie/blog/2378_ispca-launch-spay-drive-for-feral-cats.html

Hope this helps! Also I found out if theres no warden in your area you can contact your local authority for help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I find the best way to keep cats safe is to keep them in at night.
    I had my old garden pretty near cat proofed, but since I moved this garden is huge and well off any roads, fields opposite and loads of cat owners down my lane), if its an option cat fencing is great.
    My two don't go out much, 10 mins is a lot, unless we're out they just don't bother.
    If the other cat is not neutered that could be a big problem, if you can find a catch neuter release program near you it would be great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭lubie76

mymo wrote: »
    I find the best way to keep cats safe is to keep them in at night.
    I had my old garden pretty near cat proofed, but since I moved this garden is huge and well off any roads, fields opposite and loads of cat owners down my lane), if its an option cat fencing is great.
    My two don't go out much, 10 mins is a lot, unless we're out they just don't bother.
    If the other cat is not neutered that could be a big problem, if you can find a catch neuter release program near you it would be great.

I agree, cats seem to be more aggressive at night and also tend to kill birds at dawn. For these two reasons I decided to keep my male cats in at night and there is no more wounds. Ya, they complained for a while but got over it. You should start the transition to indoors, an outdoor cat has a very short lifespan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I'd agree with the general consensus of keeping him in at night. My eldest tomcat is huge in size and attitude and thinks he owns our entire road :rolleyes:, he'd been fighting with other Toms from an early age and it got to a point a couple of years ago where I just started keeping him in for fear that he was going to get himself killed or kill a neighbours cat.

The first few weeks were hard as he'd sit by the window every evening mawing loudly to get out. Eventually he got used to it and he's now content to lie up on the couch and watch tv with us each evening. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭MsQuinn

Agree with all the other advice here. Hope your cat is OK. I emphasise as I have had many visits to the vet after my cats have been attacked.

There will always be a top cat in any neighbourhood and unfortunately the other cat is probably top cat.

There is a cat in our estate who is so stocky he reminds me of a pit bull. He is not a stray but I don't know who owns him. Any opportunity he gets he will attack my little female cat (my male cat is very big so he doesn't get bullied as much now).

I only let my cats out when I'm in the house and I always keep a close eye on them. I keep them in at night.

Today, we had a guy in doing some work in the house and he would have had to keep the front door opened for short periods while he was mixing cement. When we came home this evening, it was very clear that "top cat" came in to the hall and sittingroom and marked his territory.

At the end of the day, he is only being a cat - a little bollix of a cat though.

Cats will be cats!

Thanks for all the replies. The problem with our guy is if we try and keep him in he starts screaming like a banshee. Its an awful noise and even though we ignore he starts it at 3am and when he gets no reply starts scratching the doors and jumping up to push the handle down.

If that does not get a response he will knock stuff and break them. Last night we ignored him at 4am and it seemed he had given up, then i heard a crash and he had jumped onto my hall unit and knocked off the mirror.

Husband suggested putting him into the spare room one night so put all his stuff in. By morning he had peed all over the bed and my curtains were in tatters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Could've sworn loads of people were supporting a feral cat petition on this days ago
    Now look what's happened!
    Keep your cat indoors as that other cat now claimed your garden as his territory and will fight to defend it again and could be worse this time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Thanks for all the replies. The problem with our guy is if we try and keep him in he starts screaming like a banshee. Its an awful noise and even though we ignore he starts it at 3am and when he gets no reply starts scratching the doors and jumping up to push the handle down.

If that does not get a response he will knock stuff and break them. Last night we ignored him at 4am and it seemed he had given up, then i heard a crash and he had jumped onto my hall unit and knocked off the mirror.

Husband suggested putting him into the spare room one night so put all his stuff in. By morning he had peed all over the bed and my curtains were in tatters

If you look up posts from the poster The Sweeper, she has great advice about how to train cats to accept staying.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

We have a few cats oursrlves and one them used to get attacked by a feral tom...
    She used to come in with lumps torn out of her...
    I got a powerful water pistol and anytime i see him i give him a few blasts of it..
    I would never hurt an animal but this lad was doing damage.
    They hate water so it seemed the easiest way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,188 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Yeah a while back we had a wild tomcat acting like the boss...Our Tiddles was not a cat you messed with though...he learned that but still stuck around. I used a water gun to scare him off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Cruel Sun

Maybe keep him in a small shed at night? You could scare the other cat off every time you see him, by throwing stones at it, you don't have to aim them at it, just try and scare it away.

Martin_94 wrote: »
    Maybe keep him in a small shed at night? .

when we adopted our guy he was an indoor cat, and we started letting him out bit by bit and now he loves it. i would never lock him in a shed if he is to be indoors its in our house

Advertisement