Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Choosing an architect

Options
  • 08-06-2012 8:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭

We're buying a place that needs work done internally, and we need to choose an architect.

What are the best criteria for choosing one? I know I could go and see one's work, but wouldn't it be more the builder's quality shining in that case?

Should we choose one recommended by the builder on the basis that their working relationship is important? Or should we go by word of mouth?

If anyone has any experiences or tips, I'd love to hear them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

Builders are often checked and supervised in terms of their work quality and what they achieve in relation to any prformance specification by the architect.

The builders primary interest would be to work with an architect that has the most lax approach to quality as this would allow for the quickest and most profitable building projects.

So I would still look at the architects portfolio and the work they do and the finishes and quality achieved. They will know which builders do the best job.

What area are you in? I have a few names I could PM you id you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Corkblowin

The architect looks after your interests, so it should be someone you're happy with. Choose your own.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Thanks all - very interesting stuff.
    Lantus wrote: »
    What area are you in? I have a few names I could PM you id you like.

Waterford city

• Registered Users Posts: 78,402 ✭✭✭✭Victor

fricatus wrote: »
    Should we choose one recommended by the builder on the basis that their working relationship is important?
    Absolutely not. It's like asking a criminal to nominate which of his buddies he wants as the judge.

Advertisement