Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Receivership sale in Rathfarnham

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭emclau

Reading some older threads on this site, it sounds like this development was massively overpriced in the boom.

I'm holding off until I can get a place with more convenient access to town.

Anybody have any opinions on this particular development?

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭emclau

Just seen other thread on Stocking Wood!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Pleasant enough- but you'd probably need to go to Dundrum for good access to public transport. Its a bit on the rural side for Rathfarnham- the older properties look nice- but certainly aren't somewhere I'd like to live.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

smccarrick wrote: »
    Pleasant enough- but you'd probably need to go to Dundrum for good access to public transport.
    Transport is actually fine as they slotted in a terminus up there. 15b goes right outside the door, takes 40 minutes to get into the city off-peak and an hour on-peak. I think that leaves every 20 minutes.
    The 15 is a five minute walk away and it leaves every ten minutes (literally) and it's 30/45 minutes into the city centre.

So while it's a little isolated, it's certainly not short on transport links. I live a couple of hundred metres away and I cycle into Stephen's Green every day, 30 minutes. Driving time to the city centre when it's quiet is about 25 minutes, but you'll make it in well under an hour during commuting times.

Two supermarkets a ten minute drive away, a Spar minimarket 3 minutes away and access to the M50 is less than five minutes away. You wouldn't want to live there without a car though unless you like taking the bus. If someone has lived on the edge of a village like Terenure or Maynooth then living here would be a bit of a shock, but if you're not used to being a 5 minute walk from the local pub, these aren't any more "out there" than anywhere else. They're certainly nowhere near as rural as some of the commuter belt developments in Meath and Kildare, and way closer to the city than Babriggan or Skerries.

Can't comment on the size or layout of the houses as the only time I've seen inside them was 6 years ago, so I don't really remember what they're like. I do recall them being 4 beds in 3 storeys though, so I would imagine they're a lot thinner than a 2-storey 4-bed, meaning it's all be a bit squashed.

They're Dublin 16 alright, but Rathfarnham or Knocklyon is pushing it a bit. They're on the edge of the old Woodtown townland, off the extreme edge of the Rathfarnham townland. But no-one's ever heard of Woodtown (not to be confused with Woodstown down the road :D) so they tried to call it Rathfarnham.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

I think the prices are still way off the mark to be honest.
    Let's face it. Prices for new builds like these were, were some of the most fictional imagined.
    Plus - Priory hall should strike fear into anyone thinking of buying a house/apartment built in that period. I would advise any purchaser to be extremely thorough.
    The houses are glorified apartments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Man007

Zamboni wrote: »
    The houses are glorified apartments.

Couldn't agree more did you see the square foot quoted for the 4 beds they are 4 beds in so far as they have 4 rooms but not in the typical sense.

We were thinking of buying in a similar estate few years ago called Dalriada thank god we didn't I'd be worried about the build quality and they are very isolated.

I know someone who paid €410k for the 2 bed apartments in Stocking Wood, first off one on their block was given to a single mother FOC and now they are being offered for €115k would make you sick but thats besides the point.

Advertisement