Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fire escape rope ladder?

• 08-06-2012 9:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭

I need to get a few of these. I see Argos have them (kidde brand) for ballpark €50. Wondering would buying rope and tying knots in it be sufficient? Definately a cheaper option as money isn't flush!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Only you can answer that really. I couldn't safely climb down a rope with knots in it, and would take all the skin off my hands before I plummeted if I tried. Can you? Can your family/friends?

I've always wondered what those ladders hook onto - in my house the windows go down to ankle height, so there's nothing for it to catch onto. What would you tie a rope to in each room to get out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭2rkehij30qtza5

Thoie wrote: »
    Only you can answer that really. I couldn't safely climb down a rope with knots in it, and would take all the skin off my hands before I plummeted if I tried. Can you? Can your family/friends?

I've always wondered what those ladders hook onto - in my house the windows go down to ankle height, so there's nothing for it to catch onto. What would you tie a rope to in each room to get out?

The ladders hold into the window sills. In the house I'd tie rope onto the bed frames.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Have you ever tried to use a knotted rope or a rope ladder?.
    Then again if the flames were licking your ass you'd try anything.

aujopimur wrote: »
    Have you ever tried to use a knotted rope or a rope ladder?.
    Then again if the flames were licking your ass you'd try anything.

Yeah I am well used to climbing ropes with knots alright but obviously the ladder would be better. And I've never climbed ropes with two kids under my arm either!!! Bought the last ladder in the country in Argos today-they wont be getting more in for at least 3 weeks. It was €50 or thereabouts. Just want to be extra safe upstairs in (God forbid) the event anything was to happen. Better safe than sorry! Also am getting hubby to put up smoke alarms in all the bedrooms this weekend.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Yeah I am well used to climbing ropes with knots alright but obviously the ladder would be better. And I've never climbed ropes with two kids under my arm either!!! Bought the last ladder in the country in Argos today-they wont be getting more in for at least 3 weeks. It was €50 or thereabouts. Just want to be extra safe upstairs in (God forbid) the event anything was to happen. Better safe than sorry! Also am getting hubby to put up smoke alarms in all the bedrooms this weekend.

Dont forget the Carbon Monoxide Alarms too,for any gas or soliid fuel appliences/fireplaces.;)

Fire blanket for the kitchen too.:)

• Advertisement

paddy147 wrote: »

Dont forget the Carbon Monoxide Alarms too,for any gas or soliid fuel appliences/fireplaces.;)

Fire blanket for the kitchen too.:)

Thanks for the heads up but am sorted already with those items! Thanks

Advertisement