Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

20" imac repair

• 08-06-2012 9:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭

Anyone know where I can take my 20" imac for repair in Sligo area?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

If you ring Apple they will tell were the nearest authorized repair centre is.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭seanoge

Have done, choice of Galway, Belfast & Dublin, and me with no transport.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

What is wrong with it and how old is the iMac. You might be able to do the repair yourself.

My 17" iMac went on the blink so I bought a secondhand 20" iMac. Was transferring OS and other data by Firewire to the 20". I believe I should not do this. Got 1/2 way through and decided to stop and continue later. When I clicked on 'Stop' I was warned that if I stopped now I may not be able to start the machine again. I have had Macs for about 15years so thought I knew what I was doing. Big mistake. Now I get the dreaded message ' You must restart ......" in various languages. Have tried start in Safe mode, reseting the PRAM, booting from another computer, booting from Time machine, booting from other drives. As soon as it starts I get a Kernel Panic. Called Apple, got some nice fella in India but he could not help
    Funny thing is my 17" is behaving itself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Dodd

If you have the

If you have the disc that came with the 20 imac then put it in and go to disc utility and repair disc.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1782

There is an OS disc in the drive but I am locked out. First thing EVERY time is the Kernel Panic and can't get past it.
    Does anybody know if there is a PRAM reset button on the motherboard?
    20" imac core duo early 2006.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭muggyog

This is a case of 'a little knowledge is a dangerous thing'. You did not copy the system over correctly and compounded the error by interrupting the process. This has most likely scrambled your OS hence the kernel panic.

The solution is to boot the 20" iMac in target mode ( keep 'T' key pressed while powering up ). When it's in target mode you will see a FireWire logo on the screen. Connect your two Macs with the FireWire cable. The 20" iMac will appear on the 17" iMac as an external drive. Open the disk utility application and select the restore tab. You can drag and drop the hard drives you wish to use as source and destination. Since the two Macs are similar this process should work OK because it is a direct copy ( drivers and all ).

If you have any issues doing it this way use the migration assistant

Tried that. Don't get to the Firewire symbol, all I ever get is "you need to restart...."

• Advertisement

Ouch!

Can you boot in single user mode ( keep 'apple' and ' S' keys pressed until you see a command line prompt )?

I think there is not much I haven't tried. But not giving up yet.
    Just tried alt+cmd+shift+delete -p suppose to force it to boot from dvd player but no good.

Two further possibilities

1. Faulty keyboard – use keyboard from working Mac.
    2. RAM – reseat the ram or swap with the 17" ( I assume they are the same).

seanoge wrote: »
    Tried that. Don't get to the Firewire symbol, all I ever get is "you need to restart...."
    Did you have the Firewire cable connected and the the 17 imac on.?

Can I ask where you live.
    I have said on Boards a few times that I live in D6 Dublin.
    I could start your imac then go to the cd that is in it....... to go to disc repair.
    By start your imac I mean on my OS.

2 keyboards and swapped ram - no help. Yes had both computers connected. If I start 20" without cable get the same KP as with cable.

Am in Sligo Town. I assume you will take control of the 20" but nothing starts - no inter net, just KP.

Advertisement