Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feel like repeating LC?????

Options
  • 08-06-2012 10:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭

Does anyone else feel like there gonna do bad and think that they'll have to repeat the leaving cert? :( I need 400 points for my course and only got 300 in my mocks and always fail maths and biology not my best subjects. I may think I would have to repeat and I would just to get into the course that I want to do. If I did ever repeat I would change my subjects around and swap Bio for HL Geog as it's easier and you get the 20% before putting pen to paper and thinking of switching to HL English, doing OL at the moment.
    So has anyone else ever thought of repeating or are you a repeat student and please tell us your experiences! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭bookworms

I don't think you should be thinking worst case scenarios just yet. Even if you do not get the required points in the LC there are other avenues you could go down before you consider repeating. For example you could perhaps to a PLC course in the subject area you want to do in College/Uni and from there bridge the gap and add onto your points from the LC.

Thinking that you may have to repeat is probably not the best mental attitude you could have at the moment. I have known pleny of people in the past who felt they were going to fail, yet did great at the end of the day, got the points they needed and more. You should concentrate on doing your best, you can do no more. There are other avenues you can go down if you don't get the points you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 paaula

Yep, im going to repeat if i dont get my first or second choice. Both are around 460 points. But sure we are still young, one more year of study just to get what you really want is not bad at all. If i do repeat though im not gonna do maths or english, that's too much work. I would probably take on ag science and geography instead of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭coffeelover

I think I'll end up repeating too :( Need 400 aswell but my main problem is that i'm nearly certain I failed English. I don't think I could survive another Leaving Cert :(

• Registered Users Posts: 25 paaula

Where would you repeat? I was thinking of rathmines college since i dont want to pay few thousand just for repeating. Or i could always do it at home but then i wouldnt be able to take on new subjects.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭Whatsernamex33

I'm repeating, and even considering it again ha.. Only because of that disaterous geography exam which probably cost me like 50 points..
    But if you know you'd be able to do it all again, you should, in all fairness I'm doing better than I done last year (:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

How could you possibly put two years of English into one? That course is massive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭Whatsernamex33

When I done it, we done Hamlet for 2011 and this year, and four of the poets are the same, wasn't a bother with the comparatives either (:
    It's probably alot different seeing as Macbeth is on the course next year... It's a thing to consider, but if you know you'll work for it, definitely should go for it (:

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭validusername1

All this talk about repeating..
    I wouldn't bother. There's always PLC courses.

The entry requirement for the course I want in university is 420 points. No way I'm gonna get that cause I'm so lazy. Can't see myself getting less than 280 or more than 320. My plan is do to a one year PLC course (entry requirement: 5 leaving cert passes), then use that to get into the university course. There's too much emphasis on points, I think it's futile when you could just do what I'm gonna do

• Registered Users Posts: 46 iluvgreenday246

Believe me..... i repeated this year and it doesnt make you feel any more prepared than you do the first time around. No matter how hard you study (in my opinion anyway) you're never gonna feel like its a breeze.... Just try as hard as you can for your next few papers!

Edit: although saying that, if you are young i actually would advise repeating. i only turned 18 this may and i know college would have been hell if i was so young. if you have a year to spare i think it might be better off spent repeating than going a long way into the course you wanted which could take an extra 5 or 6 years :/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

I'm already repeating and my maths exam went awful. The thought that I may be repeating again is so annoying I need at least a pass or c3 in most courses but I pretty much failed paper 1 and paper 2 I'm not very good at. I'll spend this weekend on it though. I really can't fail this. My other exams went fine apart from this. I can still get my insurance choice in England though .

I've done much better this year so the year was worth it.
    I've took up English this year as I did ordinary and went up to honours. It's not too hard if you work at it. I didn't find it hard personally. I hadn't learnt Hamlet either so I learnt poetry, comparative all in a year except paper 1 wasn't focused on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

Don't really wanna think about that yet.
    I need at least 505.
    I'd repeat if I really had to, but I think I'd just do arts and get into my course that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭coffeelover

biohaiid wrote: »
    Don't really wanna think about that yet.
    I need at least 505.
    I'd repeat if I really had to, but I think I'd just do arts and get into my course that way.

Ya I'm just going to do arts I think as long as I pass English :(

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Lago

I can't understand why anyone would repeat if you know what you want to do. I'm doing bad enough in my leaving. If I scrapped 300 points I'd be the happiest person in the world. Geography went awful yesterday and I think I might fail OL Maths. If I do my CAO is basically useless.

I am worried but despite this the only way I'll repeat is when I become a mature student and doing one subject might be benefital to me. But by then, the Leaving Cert will probably be long forgotten and won't have any effect on my life. What people seem to forget is that the Leaving is exactly what it says, a Certificate. And a level 5 one at that. Yes it gives you more options but if you know what you want to do, doing a level 5 or 6 next year in that area is not a step down.

I'm refuse to deal with this stress and effort ever again

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

All this talk about repeating..
    I wouldn't bother. There's always PLC courses.

The entry requirement for the course I want in university is 420 points. No way I'm gonna get that cause I'm so lazy. Can't see myself getting less than 280 or more than 320. My plan is do to a one year PLC course (entry requirement: 5 leaving cert passes), then use that to get into the university course. There's too much emphasis on points, I think it's futile when you could just do what I'm gonna do

Your competing for a very small number of places going the PLC route, as long as you know that.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Incompetent

Where do I learn about PLCs? My guidance teacher would never tell me about them and told me to look them up myself

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭readystudypass

Ya I'm just going to do arts I think as long as I pass English :(

You only have to pass one of english or irish to satisfy the matriculation requirements for Arts in St Pats Drumcondra.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Darren.993

I hope I manage to get enough points. I want to do secondary school teaching and it's going to look bad if I don't get an A in the subjects I want to teach.

That's seriously making me considering doing it again. I'll just see how History goes I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,443 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

When I done did it, we done did Hamlet for 2011 and this year, and four of the poets are the same, wasn't a bother with the comparatives either (:
    It's probably alot different seeing as Macbeth is on the course next year... It's a thing to consider, but if you know you'll work for it, definitely should go for it (:

thought I'd help your English along ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

Skerries wrote: »
    thought I'd help your English along ;)

You forgot "alot"

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭certifiedcrepe

I wouldn't recommend taking up geography. The amount of learning is ridiculous to be honest, it's all about essays and SRPs (significant relevant points) which pretty much have to be memorised by heart to get marks.. But if you're naturally drawn to it then completely go for it! I have been thinking about repeating and if I did I wouldn't do geography ever again.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Darren.993 wrote: »
    I hope I manage to get enough points. I want to do secondary school teaching and it's going to look bad if I don't get an A in the subjects I want to teach.

Not at all. Plenty people do a degree in a subject they did not do themselves in ther Leaving.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 sarahmocks

I was just wondering if anybody could shed some light on this subject for me; Currently I'm doing higher level maths, i think i've passed paper one and feeling like i will pass paper two hopefully (btw il be happy with a pass) but if i decide to repeat and dont do honours maths do you automatically forfit your 25 extra points? i know you cant mix the points from the two years but tehnically i would have still passed the hl maths? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Consider all the options. With grants I got the course I wanted in Griffith for not much more than repeating the lc and to be honest no matter how many lc I sat I probably won't of gotten what I needed will I college it was my type of course and loved it.

Where do I learn about PLCs? My guidance teacher would never tell me about them and told me to look them up myself

www.qualifax.ie

has all the information you need to know. just click on the ''search all courses'' and then choose PLC in the drop-down menu for ''course type''.

it also has information about pretty much every type of course in ireland!

spurious wrote: »
    Your competing for a very small number of places going the PLC route, as long as you know that.

Already have my conditional offer for the PLC course, but if you mean how there is only a few places in universities for PLC people, yeah I know. But I don't care.. I've a better chance of doing a PLC course really well than I do at doing the LC really well, 'cause at least the PLC course will actually be something I'm interested in.

I just don't like the way people act like if you don't do well in the LC, that's it, you'll amount to nothing. There's always ways round it!

Already have my conditional offer for the PLC course, but if you mean how there is only a few places in universities for PLC people, yeah I know. But I don't care.. I've a better chance of doing a PLC course really well than I do at doing the LC really well, 'cause at least the PLC course will actually be something I'm interested in.

I just don't like the way people act like if you don't do well in the LC, that's it, you'll amount to nothing. There's always ways round it!

I'm with you there. There's always another way.
    You don't need to do Leaving Cert. at all to go to college later.

Nothing wrong with not going to college at all either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

sarahmocks wrote: »
    I was just wondering if anybody could shed some light on this subject for me; Currently I'm doing higher level maths, i think i've passed paper one and feeling like i will pass paper two hopefully (btw il be happy with a pass) but if i decide to repeat and dont do honours maths do you automatically forfit your 25 extra points? i know you cant mix the points from the two years but tehnically i would have still passed the hl maths? :)

Going by the current rules, you can only get points from one sitting, and requirements from any number of sittings, so your bonus points from maths would only count for this year as they'd be included in your total points. If passing honours maths was a requirement for your course, you'd be able to use this years pass when applying next year, but if things stay the way they are I can't see them allowing you to carry 25 points over.

Unless you're applying for medicine, its not necessary to sit maths at all next year, if you were repeating (and you shouldn't be thinking like that in the middle of the exams anyway! :)). An A1 in a normal subject is the same as a B3 in maths, so if you're just passing maths now, concentrating on subjects you find easier than maths might be a better option.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Honest opinion

I think people need to stop with the idea that if you don't get your first choice its fine you can just do a P.L.C thats not always an option and from reading this thread a lot of people are claiming that to be true.

To be quite honest you should just do your best and stop doing a post mortem on your leaving cert before your even half way through.

I just finished my first year of college and you would be honestly amazed at how fast the memory of the leaving cert fades into a distant memory. by the way for all you people considering a career in Business or something close to it the points for griffith college are very low even at level 8 and you can study there even if you fail ordinary maths (although you have to do a mock leaving vert maths in september) then you can transfer after first year to places like D.I.T Trinity e.t.c

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Lago

I think people need to stop with the idea that if you don't get your first choice its fine you can just do a P.L.C thats not always an option and from reading this thread a lot of people are claiming that to be true.

Well it is another option for people and does give them hope. Hell, I know absolute wasters who did **** all in their LC and went on the dole as soon as they could without even looking for a course and they're in PLCs now. Saying that is just ridiculous mate, if you don't get your first choice it's not the end of the world. Obviously you should be aiming for it but, if you don't get it there are so many other ways of doing what you want.
    To be quite honest you should just do your best and stop doing a post mortem on your leaving cert before your even half way through.

Excellent advice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭zinfandel

I just finished my first year of college and you would be honestly amazed at how fast the memory of the leaving cert fades into a distant memory. by the way for all you people considering a career in Business or something close to it the points for griffith college are very low even at level 8 and you can study there even if you fail ordinary maths (although you have to do a mock leaving vert maths in september) then you can transfer after first year to places like D.I.T Trinity e.t.c

Are you saying if you miss out on points and go to Griffith for a year and do well, you can then transfer to a similar course in say DCU in year 1 much the same as you can after a year in a PLC course???

Advertisement