Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lieing for your employer?

Options
  • 08-06-2012 10:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Do I have to lie to customers for my employer or other staff members? Where I work there are safety issues that need to be attended to... I have brought the subject up on numerous occasions as have customers and other members of staff. There was an accident,(not terribly serious, thank god! ) not so long ago which could have been avoided if these issues had been even looked at!
    There are other smaller issues that keep coming up, due to other staff members not doing their job correctly, customers not being given correct information if any at all.. etc... I then, and the members of staff that are doing their job best they can end up getting the brunt of guests attitudes or grievances on a regular basis...

So my question is: Do I have to grin and bear it? Or am I within my rights to say 'This sorta thing happens frequently' or whatever?

On one or two occasions I have, at the end of my rope, told customers that I have passed on their complaints regularly, to no avail... Then my boss would 'have a word' with me, saying I cannot tell customers that...

The catch 22 is , I know the business needs to be successful in order for me to have a job.... but the issues are not that huge and could easily be fixed or managed better if... well, they were managed better!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Yes, you'll need to grin and take it if you want a job. That's part of benig the front line of customer support; you get all the **** and none of the credit.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭CSU

Yes...for the time being you'll have to lie.

But, if it comes to a point where your job or health (or anyone else's) is at stake because of the company's negligence in not keeping (I assume) an up to date safety statement you should informally complain to your Manager. After informally complaining write a formal letter of complaint clearly stating your concerns. You are 100% within your rights to do so.

At the end of the day if the proverbial **** hit's the fan your Company owner could face a €3 million fine and/or two years imprisonment.

Visit the HSA website for more info http://www.hsa.ie/eng/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭Opticom

Isli wrote: »
    Do I have to lie to customers for my employer or other staff members?

No, don't lie. If anything serious happens you'll be scapegoated by your own management, and then they'll lie, and claim they didn't know you were telling customers lies. You don't have to make comment to the customer, but you do have to pass it up the line. Keep a written note of it in your diary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Be straight with your manager, and tell him how you feel.
    If he makes any threats to your job safety, that could be construed as a means to constructive dismissal.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

How serious is it? Serious enough for a "random" check by an official to see?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭FairytaleGirl

You could go over your shop managers head to head office/regional manager.

Write an anonymus email.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Faolchu

the_syco wrote: »
    How serious is it? Serious enough for a "random" check by an official to see?
    what he said just make sure your arse is covered so the boss doesnt try pin it on you, so make sure you have a formal record of you passing on the complaints etc

Advertisement